Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

BofB Survivors Airborne

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Martin Bull, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Great sight at Duxford today - despite rather miserable weather ( :rolleyes: ), the BBMF's Spitfire MkII P7350 and Peter Vacher's Hurricane MkI R4118 took to the air together and treated the damp crowd to some close formation flying.

What made it different ?

Two bona-fide aircraft which actually flew in the Battle, flying again over an airfield which was operational in 1940. Brought a lump to the throat..... [​IMG]

2. TA152

TA152 Ace

Your as bad as Carl with no computer !!! Here you get to see all this cool stuff and no video camera :mad: Quit buying all those expensive books and save for a video camera so you can save it for your old age. (or older age, saw your post on being a dino :D )

3. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

Please Martin, I must agree, at least in spirit. Those of us who don't get to see those kinds of things here in the states would be most greatful for some pictures or video. I love the old warbirds.

4. Martin Bull

5. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

Looks good to me. Those familiar wing silloettes and engine sounds must still raise the spirits of those who lived through those times.

Thanks.

6. Martin Bull

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

oemphh....that are some amazing pictures! Especially like the Sea Hurricane, of course.

8. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

Those are some really excellent pictures on that forum Martin. I think my favorite is the B-17 with the propellor tip vortices.

9. TA152

TA152 Ace

Martin that is one good airshow!!! Really fine photos and aircraft that are in excellent shape. Princess Elizabeth is my favorite aircraft but the photo of the three hawks in the air was excellent too. Not so sure about the Spitfire in the PR blue. Does not seem to be the correct color but it could be the rain.

I still say you need to go to a pawn shop or garage sale and get a video camera. You can record all the sights and sounds for when you are in the old folks home. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Martin Bull

TA, the Spitfire has been painted this colour specially for the Malta celebrations ; the colour matches that which was hastily applied to the Spitfires flown off the USS Wasp . Full details can be found at this very enthusiastic site : -

http://www.merlinsovermalta.com

Hoping that Father Xmas can come up with a digicam for next season ! ;)

11. TA152

TA152 Ace

Thanks Martin. The story kind of reminds me of a story in one of my airplane magizanes of when after the Falklands war the British were short some F-4 aircraft so they borrowed a few that were in storage in Arizona. The British had the planes painted in Arizona and sent the correct paint codes but somehow this got lost in translation and the restored F-4's were a few shades off grey from the squadron F-4's in use.

12. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

TA the British were using F-4 Phantom aircraft in the Falklands? I had no idea that they used anything but their Harrier aircraft.

13. TA152

TA152 Ace

This was after the war. The British needed to have planes in the Falklands and planes for thier NATO duties and home defense. They did not have enough F-4's and the Tornado was just coming off the production lines. I don't recall how many F-4's they recovered from Davis-Monthon AFB or how long they were used. They had stock engines in them where as the British used Rolls Royce engines in their F-4's.

14. Martin Bull

15. TA152

TA152 Ace

How many forums are you on!!! :eek:

16. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

Yes, how many?

And more importantly, how do you get the same avatar in them all? :eek: :eek:

17. Martin Bull

Three-and-a-quarter ;

This one ( first by a long way )
    Diecast Aviation ( for fun )
    Avi8 ( very occasionally )
    and LEMB ( very very occasionally ).