Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hero of the Soviet Union statistics.

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by C.Evans, Apr 28, 2009.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just found this morning on a Russian website that lists the men and women who got that award.

I couldn't copy the Url down for that site because it is in Cyrillic and not in our alphabet. The best I could do was to try to figure out how many of these awards were awarded, and in what catagories and by years.

Here goes it:

I am a bit confused to which numbers are the absolute correct ones and like I have always figured that there were over 11,000+++ Recipients of the HotSU-so-i'll post my findings here and hope im correct about the final tally.

OK, an approximate total of these HotSU Recipients are: 11,739 - depending on which numbers you look at. Of these 11,739 HotSus, some 3,051 were awarded posthumously. Of this total, some 82 men were either deprived of their award because of some infraction???

Of he above total, some 107 were doube recipients of the award. 7 of those were awarded posthumously. Of the above total-3 were awarded the award three times. Those who got the award the third time, did so when fighting against the Japanese.

Now hat is confusing to me is that the first total of double-awardees was 107, yet I found another total of only 88 double awards. 17 of thse were awarded postheumously and 6 were re-awards. (Maybe some of the re-awards were to some of those whose awards had been taken away or not awarded-do to somekind of an infraction??? 2 of those 6-were double awards.

During the Winter War, 416 were awarded, 97 posthumously and 4 were abolished for some infraction??? 1 of these 416 was a double awarding of this award.

Since WWII, othrs were awarded for men serving in or are from: Korea, Spain, China, Khalkhin-Gol, Hungary, Egypt & Afghanistan totalling 278 HotSU-9 of which were postomously awarded and 1 was a 2nd awarding.

For Space Elpolration, 82 were awarded, 2 of these were posthumously awarded, 35 double awards-and 2 of those 35 were posthumously awarded.

For Studies of Polar Regions of Arctic and Antarctic, 55 were awarded and 1 of these was awarded it twice.

For Mastery of the and Exploration of the Ocean, 55 were awarded w/ 1 a posthumous award and 1 more as a double award.

To World Military and Political Leaders, 40 were awarded, 10 of them were double award recipients, two more were triple recipients and 2 were quadruple recipients.

For Protection of the State Border (Combat in Khasan Lake & Special Cases) 34 were awarded 13 of these were posthumously.

Fight Against Terrorists, Bandits, Hijackers and such, 9 were awarded and 3 of these posthumously.

For Recon and Spying Purposes, 6 were awarded and I guess 2 were posthumus awards.

For Controling and Overcoming Disasters like Chernobyl, 6 were awarded and I guess 2 were posthumously awarded???

For the Liquidation of the Putsch of 1991, 4 were awarded & 1 or 2 were posthumously awarded.

Further Stats: which is basically a repeat of some of the above:

Pre war time 630 & 145 of those were??????????? posthumous awards???

Winter War, 416 awarded with 97 posthumous awards and 1 double awarding.

Combat at Khalkhin-Go, River, 70 awarded 19 posthumous and 3 double awards.

Combat in Spain, 59 awarded and 19 awarded posthumously.

Polar Studies (Arctic and Antarctic Regions) 34 awarded 1 twice.

Combat at Khasan Lake, 26 awards 9 posthumous.

Combat in China, 14 awarded 1 posthumous.

Test Flights For Distance etc, 11.

During WII: 11571, 2,934 posthumous. 107 were double awards, with 7 of those posthumous, 3 of the 107 were awarded the award three times.

1941: 127 awarded, 35 posthumously.
    1942: 393 awarded with 145 posthumous.
    1943: 2,500 awarded with 598 posthumously.
    1944: 3,548 awarded with 976 posthumously.
    1945: 4,584 awarded with 1,106 posthumously.
    1946-1948: 450 awarded with 75 posthumously awarded.

Post war since March 1948: 659 awarded with 186 of those posthumous awards and 13 Cities were awarded this award. In WWII, 168 were awarded (to whom???) 117 wre posthumous award and 13 awards to Cities.

Aviation Engeneering, Testing (Distance Flights?) 122 were awarded 9 posthumusly and 1 was a double award.

Combat in Afghanistan, 85 were awarded with 28 of those posthumously.

Space Exploration: 82 awarded 2 posthumously.

Ocean Exploration: 55 awarded 1 posthumous and 1 as a double award.

Events in Hungary: 26 awarded 14 posthumously.

War in Korea: 22/1

Polar Studies: 21.

Management of Troops: 17 awarded, 3 twice and 1 three times.

Celebrants: 17 awarded, 3 twice, 1 three times anf 2 four times (this does NOT make sense)

Leaders of Friendly COuntries: 6 awarded.

Combat Terrorism, Hijacking etx, 9 awarded 3 posthumously.

Protection of State Borders, 7 awarded 4 posthumously.

Recon/Spying: 6 awarded, 2 posthumously.

Liquidation of Chernobyl-and other disaters: 6 awarded w/2 posthumously.

Liquidation of the Putsch in 1991, 4 awarded, 3 posthumously.

War in Egypt: 2.

MAstery of Aviation Engineering, 2 awarded.

More mysteries to be solved:

There was another grand total of awards awarded. This "New" number stands at: 12,861 to individuals. 13 to Cities. There is an exception of 73 awards revoked??? and 13 others not awarded for some reason? Now the number of awards seems to be: 12,788. From there, 3,266 were posthumous awards or appx 1 in 4. 95 were awarded to Women, 49 were posthumously awarded to them and one woman recieved the award twice. 44 were awarded to Foreigners, 10 twice. 159 awarded 9 posthumously or appx 1 in 81. 159 were twice awarded, 3 three times awarded. 11 awarded the gold Hammer and Sickle and 4 awarded the Order of Glory.

Enjoy.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

If anyone could confirm these numbers??? it would most certainly be appreciated. Also, as far as I know and of the several people whom I have talked with about this subject--there is absolutely nothing in English or other non-Russian print-that exists about a Fellgebel-or Patzwall-like listing of these people who won that Countries highest award.

3. fast1

fast1 Member

interesting, thanks for the share.[​IMG]

4. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

this link doesnt confirm the stats, sorry C.Evans but it does add some more information about the winners of the award, and breakdown by ethnicity of the receipiants.

Heroes of the Soviet Union 1941-45 - Google Book Search

Heroes of the Soviet Union 1941-45

By Henry Sakaida, Christa Hook

C.Evans likes this.
  5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Fast, FG,

Fast-your welcome.

FG, thanks for the link, im now going to see what they have. Many thanks and best regards--C.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Fast, FG,

Fast-your welcome.

FG, thanks for the link, im now going to see what they have. Many thanks and best regards--C.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi FG, many thanks for the link. Im glad the tallies told on these are only to do with those won in WWII-which is exacly what I was looking for. As for the others-such as for exploration and such-I don't mind having but didn't want them to be included in the total.

Ill post the Authors name later when I get back here but, ill post the WWII stats now.

HotSU in WWII total awards 11,633.
    Infantry: 8,447 including 44 double recipients.
    Aviation: 2,332 including 61 double awardees.
    Navy: 513 with two getting the award twice.
    AA Defense: 92 with one double awadee.
    Partisans, Spies and Resistance Fighters: 249 w/ two double awardees.

I might include that Osprey Authors recipients list done by ethnicity. Anyway, I posted these here so I can have something that is easier to refer to-from the 1st post.

8. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

CARL,

If you need help translating something, dont be a stranger and please let me know. ;)

9. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

C.E, No problem glad i could be of some help. I wonder how much of those Hero of the Soviet Union awards came at the hands of the battle in Stalingrad.

10. marc780

marc780 Member

The most interesting thing about being Hero of the Soviet Union were the priveleges. In the USA you can win the Congressional Medal of honor and all you get is...a special car license plate. (I saw one of these in traffic months ago and really wished i'd had the opportunity to ask the guy about it.)

According to the link, HOTSU gets:

-"union-level" pension
    -first priority on housing list (only in Russia, i guess, is this a perk)
    -50% housing cost reduction
    -50% tax reduction
    -free transportation on buses and trains
    -annual free pass to a rest home or resort
    -free medical treatment at a military hospital
    -free first-class "return ticket" for travel every year.

Unfortunately the posthumous awards may not do anybody any good, it doesn't say if the guy's wife or kids would also get any benefits from the award.

11. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Seems fair to give what I assume was the original site a link:
    Google Translate - warheroes.ru

Biographies of all Heroes of the Soviet Union on there too.

~A

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for the new info Gents. Im hoping that between all the links and such here that we are correct in the real numbers. As I also collect names, to finally get the HotSu names will fill in huge gaps rather nicely. Now if I could only get the names of the Frenchies and other Nations higest award recipients, this will give me years of stuff to look forward to researching. ;-))

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Keeping this thread active, ive got an upcoming project attempt and need this thread.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Slava, pretty soon I will need your help my friend. Just wanted to prepare you to become a slave ;-))

15. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I would imagine that the awards were 'revoked' from people who did not follow a 'Yay Communism' approach or were not part of the Communist Party (or spoke out against it).

16. Mark4

Mark4 Ace

Do you have any on more specific ones awarded to the Soviets in Afghanistan?

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Mark, not me but I imagine that site does. Im only interested in the WWII HotSU awards.

18. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Interesting Carl, and well done. Learned something new, I had thought the HotSU was a purely military award but seems to be a cross of the US MOH and Presidential medal of Freedom.

As the Soviet Union is no longer, does the perks remain, and what do they award now?

19. IRu

IRu Member

Some more interesting facts about this rank.
    It was established April 16, 1934 as the highest award for military heroism, or (as an exception) for the feat in peacetime.
    The first award was pilot Liapidevskii who saved the crew of the ship Cheliuskin. This happened April 20, 1934.
    The latest award was presented on December 24 1991 diver for the experiment dive to 500!!!! meters. At the time to award it must be pronounced the words: «Serve the Soviet Union!». But since the Soviet Union at that time no longer existed, the diver simply replied: "Thank you". This title can be obtained several times. Four times they were awarded Zhukov and Brezhnev. Perhaps Zhukov worth it (though I disagree). But Brezhnev – only lazy people did not laugh at his desires for the awards. Privileges to Heroes of the Soviet Union saved so far. At least in Russia – for sure.Now the highest award in Russia is the title of Hero of Russia. It is awarded for extraordinary heroism in peacetime and wartime. During the period from March 20, 1992, it received approximately 950 people. Most of them received the award for participation in the wars in the Caucasus. About a month ago in Russia faulty passenger plane landing in difficult conditions at the abandoned airfield. This is a unique case. All survived. I think that the pilots awarded title of Hero. They have rescued 180 people. As for lacking the title of Hero of the Soviet Union. I looked at the list. Not all at once you can find information, but most people are deprived of committing war and civil crimes (murder, rape or treason).

20. IRu

IRu Member

I would like to mention a Hero of the Soviet Union, which had a tragic fate. This is Pavel Ryuchagov. He was born in Moscow in 1911. In the Red Army, he entered in 1928. In 1931 he graduated from pilot school. Fought in Spain, China and Finland. The title of Hero was in 1936. In 1940, at age 29:eek: he was promoted to General and Chief of the Main Directorate of the Air Forces of the USSR. He was arrested by the NKVD June 24, 1941 and executed on false charges in October 1941. There is more detailed article about him:
    ??????? ????? ??????????