11 replies to this topic

#1 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Well folks, it's officially that time of year. The time of year when one goes out and plays some golf. The weather has been absolutely perfect in my area. Warm, but not too warm, and the occasional gentle breeze. I went out last night for my first round of 9 of the season. Lets just say I scored about what Tiger scores but in half the number of holes played:o. I plan on getting out again on Friday for a full 18, and hopefully again Sunday morning.

Anyone else get out yet this year?
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#2 texson66

texson66

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

NFL 1958 Championship Greatest NFL Game Ever Played Giants Colts 50th Anniversary

Well, it's not golf, but I watched this game!

(At least it's usually a lot warmer out on the links than that day!)

#3 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

NFL 1958 Championship Greatest NFL Game Ever Played Giants Colts 50th Anniversary

Well, it's not golf, but I watched this game!

(At least it's usually a lot warmer out on the links than that day!)

hehe, thanks tex. Actually I used the movie title for the name of the thread, but I agree that was one great game that propelled the NFL into the spotlight.

The Greatest Game Ever Played - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#4 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,228 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

I thought that you were talking about the 1993 Sugar Bowl...
  • Sloniksp likes this

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#5 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 9,729 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:18 PM

I was out for a round on Friday. Shot my usual lousy score. I'm hoping to get out once a week, as usual, starting next week. I need to brush up on my cussing, it's the only thing I'm really good at.

image001.png

Lou

#6 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

Hi Lou, Once a week is plenty often enough. It's nice to just have a day to yourself where you can get out of the house. I always walk when I play, so it is a bit of exercise as well, though I will admit I need to do more than walk. It is easy for me to go out two-three times a week.

So far we have established that only two members here play, or no one will admit they play

#7 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

My Dad started me on the golf course when I was two. I golfed regularly for the next 20 years. When I was in college, my Dad told me that I had the worst swing he had ever seen. It is not that bad now but I only get out a few times a year and my 82 year old Dad still beats me. It's something I have learned to accept and to enjoy, since we probably do not have too many rounds left together.

I live about two miles from Bay Hill. My elder son golfs there with friends who are members. His friends are both 15. One has a 1 handicap and the other a 4 handicap, golfing at Bay Hill. Another young man we know is graduating from high school this week and has accepted an appointment to West Point, where he will be on the golf team. He also golf's at Bay Hill and is better than a scratch golfer.

Some were born to golf and the rest of us were born to be bad golfers!

#8 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:11 AM

I thought that you were talking about the 1993 Sugar Bowl...

No Jeff, you must be talking about the 2007 Sugar Bowl....

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#9 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:21 AM

Ahh...golf. What I lack in skills, I make up for in expense of equipment. We have a nice little 9 holer right across the street from us, and I went out last Sunday for my first time this year, along with my dad. I got my dad involved in golf years ago when I got a Wilson 3 wood from a neighbor and was wacking balls into the woods. Now, my dad is a pretty damned good golfer. I am not. He steps to the tee with his Taylor Made (a gift from me when I had money to burn) and after a shimmy shimmy ya'll gives it about a 270 yard ride down the middle. I step in with my Big Bertha with a head the size of a manhole, my Nike golf balls, and smack that bastard 4000 yards into the woods. The Meuse-Argonne was easier to get out of. So my golf experience is like one of those Master Card commercials. "Woods...1000, irons, 1000, drinks on the course...50....getting beat by your father by 20 strokes....priceless" At leas the doesn't ask me to go too often.
Kicking up dust since 1978

#10 bigfun

bigfun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:34 AM

I love this game! I haven't played this year yet at all! Keep us posted on your progress on the links! Mike!
Scott :flag_USA_ww2: :flag_netherlands:

#11 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 9,729 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:34 AM

Played last week. Same old story. Bogey golf for the first 4 holes. I'm thinking this could be the round of my life. Then, Whammo!, took a big old 9 on a par 5 and the rout was one.

I've calculated my handicap: it's...my lack of skill.

image001.png

Lou

#12 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

I haven't played since I broke my 2 iron on a palm tree....

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users