Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

M1942 Helmet faithful restoration?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Fisherk-100, May 18, 2009.

1. Fisherk-100

Fisherk-100 recruit

Hello!
    This past weekend I was hunting around a local Hot Rod Show flea market, among the Ford Model A quarter panels I spy this M1942 German helmet diamond in the rough. It was stripped, badly repainted and is missing the rivets, liner and strap but for $40 I snagged it (go to auto flea markets for rock bottom ww1-ww2 prices shh its a secret!). I would like to do a accurate restoration of this helmet. I was wondering if anyone here knew where to buy the most accurate reproduction liner/chin strap. Also I plan to make this a Heer helmet with the national colors and the eagle and swastika decals, what dealer has the most accurate reproduction decals? And finally paint. The criminal who painted this black applied tape on the insides and a green/gray paint can be seen. What color paint would someone suggest that I can buy to match an appropriate helmet color and texture? Lots of questions thank-you!
    ps I don't plan to sell this helmet for profit only a fun restoration project

Attached Files:

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice catch-and as shells go for-VERY cheap too. There are a lot of sites you can go to where you can find repo and original stuff for sale-such as the liners chinstraps and such. Also, there is a helmet restoration service (I can't think of the site url at this time) but these guys do a fantastic job in restoring helmets to original service issus and usage. This service will set you back about $450 or so-but will be well worth it because they are so good-that you will not be able to see a difference between their work-as well as it was originally done by helmet factories. One thing I do like about the guys who do this-is that inside the helmet-they mark it as a revived item so that those who want to seek a quick profit in decieving others-cannot do so without damaging the inside paint job.

Most militaria dealers will have something you might want or need-as well as some reenacting sites. My thing on this is-if you can afford to go through the restoration service I mentioned above (wo-url) use them. Or if you do some of the restoration yourself-buy the real period straps adn liners-because they aren't much more than the repo stuff is. Then, at least you have an all-original complete item being of more value-and also if you use said restoration service-at least after itwas painted-the helmet will be complete and with all original parts.