Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Commandoes- Thee ST Nazaire Raid!

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Heidi, May 20, 2009.

1. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

In Jan 1942,British Innteelagence sent Olde British/American Battle Cruisers full of British Comandoes (Clenouflauge as Nazi;s ships) to thee French Dock to ram ande destroy thee Dock and knock it out of commission,it was surpose to be a quick raid but it ended up a disarter it seemed.........................than it went thee British way,thee dock blew up and went out of commission for thee rest of thee war

Thee Germans were downfounded in waht thee british achieved,and I think it was a great plan by thee Brits.

I thinke it;s one of British greatest plans of ww2

2. hucks216

hucks216 Member

I think one of the reasons I am proud of the British in WW2 was our innovation (Mulberry Harbours etc), and our ability to launch such daring raids even during the darkest days whether they were successful or not. St Nazaire, The Cockleshell Heroes, Bruneville, Norway, LRDG & SAS in the desert & Chindits to name just a few. Even Dieppe, while flawed, had that level of innovation that the Germans would never of come up with - although I am aware that there might be more then a few members willing to disagree with me on the Dieppe example (obviously I am also including any of the allied countrymen who also took part in such raids, and the accomplishments of the SOE both in France and Greece).

3. Piat

Piat Member

It was definitely a success, it was after this that Hitler gave the "Commando Order" that any special forces captured alive would then be shot.

4. STURMTRUPPEN

STURMTRUPPEN Member

the st nazaire raid was infamous in many ways
    in one the german army did not send reinforcements to the port quickly enough to stop the commandos escaping on hms campbeltown