4 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

I found this view impressive- The overhead view of the sea of destroyed enemy tanks and endless columns of Soviet prisoners (Second half of the video)

Posted Image

Second Battle of Kharkov 1942

Compare this to Kursk, where even the Cameramen couldn't find sizable Soviet prisoner columns (middle of video):

Kursk 1943

This video also shows an overhead view of the Kursk battlefield- trench systems, the remains of tank assaults,etc.

#2 nicklaus

nicklaus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

2nd battle of Kharkov was genius, Kursk not so much. What must be going through their minds as they are led away?

Edited by nicklaus, 29 May 2009 - 01:13 AM.
spelling

#3 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

2nd battle of Kharkov was genius, Kursk not so much. What must be going through their minds as they are led away?

Probably on the lines of......."I hope they at least treat us humanely and not systematically starve us to death."

Wolfy, I am a little confused about the prisoners from Kursk. How is it that so many are paraded when it was Germany that lost that battle? Maybe these men were not prisoners from Kursk but rather from earlier campaign's?

Am I missing something here?

Edited by Sloniksp, 29 May 2009 - 08:09 PM.

The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#4 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

That final shot is pretty scary. Thousands and thousands of Russian pows squeezed together in a small area. I can't imagine how many succumbed to their injuries and died in the march. I wonder, were there any massacres or escape attempts? I don't see very many German guards.

Wolfy, I am a little confused about the prisoners from Kursk. How is it that so many are paraded when it was Germany that lost that battle? Maybe these men were not prisoners from Kursk but rather from earlier campaign's?

I looked at that shot, and it's not much more than 200 or 300 prisoners. That's a very small bag of prisoners compared to what the Germans took at Kharkov 1942. I was contrasting the difference between the two battles- the Nazi propaganda claimed victory at Kursk but there were no sizable prisoner columns to be filmed.

The Nazi propaganda says 250,000 prisoners, Beevor says 240,000, and Glantz says 207,000 (killed and captured) at Kharkov 1942

German losses were a mere 20,000 men killed, wounded, and captured, so I can assume that Soviet dead and wounded were a small part of Glantz's figure.

#5 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Thanks ;)
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users