Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Lord Stanley's Cup

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by DocCasualty, May 28, 2009.

1. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

Any hockey fans out there?? This Saturday starts the final series for the Holy Grail of sporting trophies between the Detroit Red Wings and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Should be a great series. I suspect even more competitive than last year, despite being a re-match of sorts.

I've been a Wings fan for over 40 years, so no doubt about my hopes for a repeat this year. GO WINGS!

[​IMG]

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Detroit looks good and strong, but just watch out for Malkin and Crosby! If you can keep them from scoring maybe then you get to keep the Cup?!!

Great Finns in the Wings team, Filppula and Leino! ;)

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Strange as it may seem, what we me a natural-born Southerner and all, I like hockey. As an added bonus, I like the Wangs.

I started watching hockey over 20 years ago, when they were in the cup race with Yzerman and then later when they won it with Scotty Bowman at the helm. I liked Federov, Konstantinov, Shanahan, Murphy, Chelios and Larionov with Osgood in the net.

Don't even get me started with the Avalanche. I still have not forgotten Claude Lemeiux's cheap shot on Kris Draper. I never did like Claude one little bit-he was a dirty player, to me anyway.

What ws the goalie's name who came from Buffalo after Osgood left, so that he could win a Stanley Cup?

4. fast1

fast1 Member

not really a fan but i hope the wings win![​IMG]

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm a big time hockey and Flyers fan. That said, I really dislike the Penguins, so for the second year in a row, Go Wings.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Detroit won the first game 3-1. Seems like the Pittsburgh stars were under control this time....

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

They play again tonight. Here's hoping for a resounding Wings win. Is a sweep too much to ask?

8. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

I was out of town for a couple of days and glad to see the thread is still alive! We'll see what game two has in store, but you're correct, the Wings certainly held the Dynamic Duo in check last night. Looks like Datsyuk and Draper will still be sitting out for game two and I hope to see them back soon. Crosby's already starting to whine; no suprise there!

Kai, I've been delighted with Val Filppula's play since he joined the club and he just keeps getting better. I think we'll continue to see even more from Leino. I'm sorry for the injuries to others that brought Villi up from Grand Rapids but glad to see him in the line-up playing for the Cup. I know he was quite a sensation in the Finnish League. Did you know he scored a goal in the first minute he played in his first NHL game? I think that was against the Blackhawks during the regular season.

The Penguins are a good team and deserve to be in the finals, but I'm sticking with my Wings, taking it in 5. Ozzie has been awesome and every line is producing, despite the injuries. Stay tuned!

9. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

Wings win, 3-1! Going into Pittsburgh ahead 2-0 is huge in this series. I expect the Pens to take one of these next two games on their home ice but not both.

Depth? How 'bout that Ericcson, Abdelkader and Helm for depth? I think we'll see more out of the Pens before this is all said and done, but I'm havin' fun!

Oh yeah, almost forgot; Filppula's GWG was absolutely awesome!!

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yeah,

Filppula´s goal was excellent. Truly a professional finishing!

It seems that at least Malkin is getting frustrated as he started a fight at the end of the second game. If they lose their nerve it´s all over for them...

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Detroit beat Pittsburgh 5-0 last night, and it´s 3-2 in games won. So the Penguins can not lose any more games....

12. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

The Pens had a complete breakdown in discipline last night. Kind of sad to watch their antics really, other than I thoroughly enjoyed Ozzie's shutout. I have a feeling this is still going to game 7, but I'm still confident in my Wings!

13. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

Game 7 tomorrow night at the Joe! Even if hockey only interests you marginally, this is a must watch game. I can't imagine a player on either team who won't be pulling out all of the stops for this one. Undeniably some of the best players in the world on the ice tomorrow for the final showdown for this year's Stanley Cup. While the hype is getting nauseating, there's no denying there are a lot of interesting side stories that have developed with this particular series.

GO WINGS! [​IMG]

14. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I know where my husband will be parked tomorrow night!!! I'll show up around the 3rd period

15. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

Ha, ha! Appreciate that Michelle. Probably anlalgous to my showing up for the last 2 minutes of an NBA championship.

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

That will be a great and horrible match at the same time. So far the home team has always won so....???

17. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

18. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I missed it last night. Alas the Wings could not pull it off, but I do like the Pens, but not quite as much.

19. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

Congrats to the Pens! Pittsburg controlled 4 out of the last 6 periods, demonstrating their skill and desire to win. Hoping for re-match #3 next spring!

20. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

Cangradulations Pens.:)