19 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:47 AM

I spent a few hours skimming through parts reading this- this is truly an tremendous account of Adolf Hitler and his inner circle.

Inside the Third Reich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#2 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,079 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:06 AM

This is worth reading the book. I read it when it first came out and found it to be fascinating. The decision making process and the personalities of the people in the inner circle are incredible.

I would also recommend you read Spandau Diaries for an account of his imprisonment after the war.

image001.png

Lou

#3 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:20 AM

This is worth reading the book. I read it when it first came out and found it to be fascinating. The decision making process and the personalities of the people in the inner circle are incredible.

I would also recommend you read Spandau Diaries for an account of his imprisonment after the war.

The most impressive part to me is that this book really displays Speer's intellect, outstanding attention to detail, and deep understanding of human nature.

This book really fleshes out the innermost workings of the regime. His observation of Hitler is also very impressive.

#4 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 22,003 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:09 AM

Did you see the Movie Albert Speer when he is embodied by Sebastian Koch? It's a double dvd. If you liked reading about him you will enjoy the film. The filmaker is Heinrich Breloer.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#5 ozjohn39

ozjohn39

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:46 AM

They should have hung him alongside his mates.

John.
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". - Voltaire.

#6 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 22,003 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

. He certainly used slave labor with all its consequences

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#7 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for the recommendation, Skipper.

#8 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:12 AM

I looked up Speer's IQ from Nuremberg. They administered a test, and he scored 128. To put this into perspective, Goering scored 138.

I believe this is incorrect, Speer definitely seems significantly smarter than that given the level of thinking he displayed in the book as well as his cleverly manipulative speeches at Nuremberg.

I'm sure he purposely tried to score lower in order to make himself look less deceptive to the court. I wouldn't be surprised if he would score a 150 or even 160 if he took the test for real.

#9 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 22,003 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:18 AM

Interesting. 128 Is a nice score actually and quite exceptionnal . I would'nt think he got as much as Einstein for instance. Considering that the average man had about 100 , he was way above the average.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#10 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

Actually, 128 is a pretty common IQ. For instance, the average US college graduate scores a 115. The top few percentage points of the US population has an IQ 140 or higher. I think Speer is probably at least in the 140s -which is typical intelligence of high level leaders, academics, engineers, scientists, doctors etc.

I believe Einstein never took an IQ test. His IQ would probably be well over 170, maybe even 200.

#11 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• 22,003 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:30 AM

So he is close to the top few. 115 only for college students,Gee good thing I was there to pump up those figures. :D

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#12 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:34 AM

And you have to consider how dumb the average US college graduate is, LOL

#13 Von Poop

Von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

If Speer really interests I'd strongly recommend balancing it by reading Gitta Sereny's Biography alongside his own account:
Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth: Amazon.co.uk: Gitta Sereny: Books
Essential reading when trying to get the measure of one of Hitler's most effective assistants. A murky life.

Quite interesting:
Conversations with Speer - Audio interview snippets

~A
  • brndirt1 likes this
It's only the Internet...

#14 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

I looked up Speer's IQ from Nuremberg. They administered a test, and he scored 128. To put this into perspective, Goering scored 138..

IQ tests are generally bunk jive anyways. As for his attention to detail, that comes from his training as an architect. I am also cursed with an architectural mind, as that was the field I trained in before my early mid-life crisis. You can't help but be detail oriented. When it was decided a new chicken coop was needed, instead of digging a few post holes and putting up a simple building with a door, I have a 156 sq foot stick built house complete with insulated walls, insulated nesting boxes, windows, a heating/air system....etc. Lame. And
Kicking up dust since 1978

#15 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

IQ tests are generally bunk jive anyways. As for his attention to detail, that comes from his training as an architect. I am also cursed with an architectural mind, as that was the field I trained in before my early mid-life crisis. You can't help but be detail oriented. When it was decided a new chicken coop was needed, instead of digging a few post holes and putting up a simple building with a door, I have a 156 sq foot stick built house complete with insulated walls, insulated nesting boxes, windows, a heating/air system....etc. Lame. And

Good point. Speer also has the moral depth of a stain..

#16 JeffinMNUSA

JeffinMNUSA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:11 PM

IQ tests are a fairly reliable measurement on just how a certain individual is going to fare in modern society-but they cannot measure elements such as talent. But Speer-yeah a pretty good read as I recall. Just how the NAZI elite managed to insulate themselves from the horrors they unleashed on the world is rather illuminating. Slave labor was just an abstraction to Speer-and just how an otherwise sane and bright young fellow got caught up in mass criminality is interesting. "To please his superiors and build a career" is a pretty mundane reason; but Speer seems to have been a rather mendacious individual. There was also to terror factor. What a lot of us at this remove seem to want to forget are the terrible consequences that could fall on anyone "swimming against the stream" in your totalitarian states. And if anything Stalin was a more "hazardous to your health" boss to be working for than his opposite number West of the Oder.
JeffinMNUSA

Edited by JeffinMNUSA, 06 June 2009 - 03:02 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#17 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hans von Luck (Panzer Commander) also seems to be intelligent, but not exceedingly so. Kurt Meyer seems like a more simple minded type ("Grenadiers"). But this is only based on observing their social and observation skills and the depth of their analysis from a single book.

Neither man seems as socially astute as Speer. Not even close.

#18 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

von Poop; Good point, I was just going to recommend her book to Wolfy. I watched an interview with her on History International and she was a facinating subject.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#19 fast1

fast1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

thanks for the link, nice readPosted Image
Posted Image Always be clear of what you want in life

#20 Wolfy

Wolfy

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:57 PM

If Speer really interests I'd strongly recommend balancing it by reading Gitta Sereny's Biography alongside his own account:
Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth: Amazon.co.uk: Gitta Sereny: Books
Essential reading when trying to get the measure of one of Hitler's most effective assistants. A murky life.

Quite interesting:
Conversations with Speer - Audio interview snippets

~A

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users