Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Prinz Eugen

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by L-Raiser, Jun 25, 2009.

1. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Just a quick question, opinions/thoughts on Kumm's History of the 7. SS Mountain Division "Prinz Eugen".

Thanks.

2. hucks216

hucks216 Member

Well, it provides a decent enough history of a unit that isn't usually covered but I always read it with the thought in the back of my mind that it was written by it's CO and with that in mind he was hardly likely to mention the numerous atrocities the unit committed, so in that respect it paints a whiter picture of the unit then should of been the case.

3. L-Raiser

L-Raiser Member

Even the cover is white :)

4. hucks216

hucks216 Member

There is also a photographic history book of this unit by Kumm as well. It is in the 'im Bild' series of SS related books (ISBN: 3-920677-56-0).

5. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

There are some interesting facts about this unit:

Name:
    7.SS-Freiwilligen-Gebirgs-Division "Prinz Eugen"

Origin:
    Volunteer Ethnic Germans (Volksdeutsche) from the Balkans

Size:

Activity:
    Anti-partisan mountain division

Origin of the name:
    The title »Prinz Eugen« comes from the German spelling of the name Francois Eugene, Prince of Savoy, known to history as being one of the greatest European soldiers of all time. Eugene entered the service of the Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I in 1683, to fight against the Ottoman Turks.

Leader:
    SS Brigadeführer and Generalmajor of the Waffen SS, Artur Phleps, a Volksdeutsche himself from Transylvania

Achievements:
    All members of the Prinz Eugen Division were eligible to receive the "Bandenkampfabzeichen" Anti-Partisan badge.

The end:
    In January, 1945, the division fought the and retreating battles against the advancing Soviet and Bulgarian forces as well as Tito's partisans. From February, 1945 to April, 1945, the Division was in constant retreat fighting against the Partisans and the Soviets. The remnants of the Prinz Eugen Division ended the War in Celje, Slovenia where it surrendered on 11 May 1945 to Yugoslav forces.

My father has ended the war in Celje too and he took part in destroying this SS unit.

6. Tamino

In 1945 near Celje, Slovenia, my father has fought his last battle against SS Volunteer Gebirgsjäger Division. In this battle partisans prevented their escape over the Austrian border. After the battle my father cleaned his rifle for the last time after more than four years of fighting in mountains and woodlands of south-eastern Europe.

SS Prinz Eugen was Gebirgsjaeger unit dedicated to fight partisans primarily by executing civilians. On one occasion these »warriors« have executed the entire fifth class of primary school in town of Kragujevac (Serbia). The »warriors« have taken from school and executed 12 to 13 years old boys!

I wanted to find more information on the Donau Swabian web sites but they simply omit their history during the both world wars.

I will investigate this subject much more in detail because I want to know who were the soldiers who fought against my father.

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

always thought this wanna-be Mtn outfit was another tall tale penal unit promoting SS-crimes to already add to a tarnished history of German field units.

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

some of guys may not appreciate the next comment but : since studying the W-SS units from the early 1960's I lumped the 7th SS unit as the Kamanski Brigade only larger and with cheap armor.

9. Tamino

Of course they were bad soldiers, they were ordinary peasants who never had real military training. Their ancestors originated from many different parts of Germany but they were ethnic Germans, Donau Shwabians, citizens of Hungary, Romania and Yugoslavia. During the occupation they had fun with executing civilians, as long as it lasted. Only partisans have opposed them; all other nationalistic organizations have collaborated with the Axis. But when the Red Army crossed the border SS Prinz Eugen division has got a genuine foretaste of a real war against real skilled soldiers.

By the way, Donau Shwabians are unfortunate people who made several grievous mistakes. The largest was that after the occupation they relocated their families to the Third Reich and were granted German citizenship. That has sealed their future. As citizens of the Third Reich they couldn't assert citizenship rights after the end of war except in Germany which was their old and new Fatherland.