Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

LST Convoy to the Mediterranean

Discussion in 'Naval War in the Mediterrean, Malta & Crete' started by Buten42, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Need some help finding some index or list of what LSTs were involved in convoy UGS 6A that left New York for the Mediterranean on March 19, 1943. My brother was on LCT 221 during the invasions of Sicily, Salerano and Anzio--would love to find out what LST his boat was loaded on for the trip over.
    What a great site, well done!

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

3. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks for the help, but I have checked these out. The Sailors Log is my brothers. I'm doing a short military history for him and seems he left out some details. He wrote the LCT number that took his boat from N.Africa to Europe for the Normandy invasion, but forgot which one took him to the Mediterranean from New York. He also forgot the name of the troop ship that brought him back from England to the states in Sept. 0f 45. Guess it's no great loss, but would make it more complete if I could find the information.
    Thanks again and have a great 4th.

4. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

While one cannot be absolutely sure here as small craft (LCT's qualify as small craft by Navy standards) are hard to trace much of the time, I would say once your brother arrived in the Med he was stationed initially at Bizerte harbor / Ferryville. The Ferryville harbor consisted of a large semi-artifical lake with a short canal connecting to the Med. It became the major US operating base for small landing craft in the Med during the war due to its large capacity, calm waters and, sheltered nature.

From there LCT's typically operated as part of one or another amphibious landing group and moved to where they were needed under their own power. It would have been extremely rare for one to be deck cargo while in the Med operationally.

LCT's most of the time did not carry tanks but rather were more commonly used in landings to bring ashore vehicles and artillery pieces in the early waves of the assault. After that they tended to be relegated to hauling supplies ashore from cargo vessels as they had quite a capacity to do so and could run up on the beach to unload. Occasionally, they were used to off load LSTs when the later could not properly beach or run out their pontoon causeways.

LSTs typically hauled LCT as deck cargo to Europe on on longer hauls beyond the range of an LCTs own fuel supply.

5. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Hey Formerjughead, I did a little better search on the first link you gave and located the name of a book that I think may have the info I'm looking for. Thanks--I may get going on this finally.
    And T.A. Garner, always interested in where you WWII vets served, and always grateful. This is a great forum--really impressed.

6. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thought I'd add this website for anyone who is looking for some information on WWII convoys. I wasn't able to locate the exact LST my brothers LCT was loaded on, but found out the convoy number, dates and number of vessels. Because of the ports that each LST arrived at, I was able to narrow it down to six. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction--hope this will help others.

Arnold Hague Convoy Database

7. dajabro

dajabro New Member

New member to forum. My dad's LST was in that convoy, the LCT they carried across was 202. Was just wondering if you were ever able to find out which LST carried your your brother's LCT?

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

9. Buten42

Buten42 Member

dajabro, I did, but it was a lucky break. My brother's journal gave the name of a fellow sailor that went across with him, and also served on LCT 221. The guy passed away a year before I contacted the family but his daughter was gracious enough to send me his Bible that he kept a lot of notes in. He jotted down that their LCT 221 was loaded on LST 389, USS Boone County.
    It's nice to have another Amphibious Navy guy on the forum. I think this was my first inquiry--did a ton of research since then. I didn't know about your book but will order a copy as soon as I send this. My brother is still alive (93) and loves to read anything about the Navy--especially Amphibs.

If you haven't read "With Utmost Spirit".I suggest you do--very informative and well written. The author helped me with some morning reports for #221 at Anzio- a wonderful person.

Thanks for the inquiry--Dave

10. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Tommy, Now, don't give me this crap about "even a blind squirrel--" You're good. I saw parts of this in the book "With Utmost Spirit" but never the original. Thank you very much, I joined the free 7 day trial--might keep it if I can find more stuff.

A side issue, When I was trying to locate the members and/or families of my brother's crew (there were twelve) I could never find Captain Ziegler because I didn't have his whole name. Still don't, but his initials are H.H. that should give me a beginning. The strangest thing, During Anzio the Captain and the cew was watching a dog fight between an American and German plane from the deck of 221. A .50 cal. slug from one of the airplanes caught the Capttain in the right arm and shoulder putting him out of the war.

Ziegler gave Kaufman and Fitzgerald a Silver Star for helping the British off the LCT that morning. My brother was also a Gunners Mate and was trying to knock out a German gun (he thinks 88) but didn't have any luck. He said the time between the shell going off and the explosion was almost instantly.
    Said you got pretty good at judgeing how far away the guns were by the time in between.

Thanks for the fold 3 site. Dave

11. TD-Tommy776

Thanks for the compliment, Dave. Every since Biak convinced me to join fold3, I have never regretted it. If you go for the full membership, wait for one of their "sales" which they do periodically. No sense in paying more than needed.

As for Capt. H. H. Ziegler, I think I have a possible candidate: Harold Herbert Ziegler, LCDR, US Navy, World War II

More research will be needed to make sure it's the same H. H. Ziegler, of course. I've put in a request for a photo of the marker. Sometimes they have additional information.

12. TD-Tommy776

Oh, never mind. It's him: All Hands Navy Bulletin, pg. 66

13. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks again--That's him--been hiding in plain sight, just took someone who knew what he's doing to find him.
    I'll bring this over to my brother tomorrow.
    I'd say to go ahead and quit your day job but don't think I can talk Otto into giving you a decent salery :dance4:
    Dave

14. TD-Tommy776

Yes, I believe the terms "snowball" and "hell" might come up. ;) Besides, if I got paid for it, it might seem too much like work. Then I'd start hating it.

15. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Finally finished reading "Mosier's Raiders" --I really enjoyed it--You were lucky to have all the shipmates to relate their stories and experiences--it tied everything together with some human interest. You truly did a good job with the book and remembering your father's wartime service. I gave it to my brother--He'll love it.