Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Strange Tanks Article

Discussion in 'Wonder Weapons' started by JagdtigerI, Jul 5, 2009.

1. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Just came across this article about strange tanks from WWI to the Cold War, it is quite interesting and contained a bunch of AFV I had never heard of, the Ferrari tank being my favorite :D

Dark Roasted Blend: Strange Tanks

brndirt1 likes this.
  2. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Well I am glad everyone enjoyed the article so much ;) jk

3. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Jag,

Just read it my friend... I wouldn't leave you hanging. Strange indeed, thanks for sharing :)

4. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Thanks for the post, I just wanted to make sure people had noticed it :)

5. Sentinel

Sentinel Member

I enjoyed it, too.

I thought "Stalin's Orchestra" was funny. :D

6. SPGunner

SPGunner Member

Interesting article. Wasn't that dual-tracked monster ("American T95 and T28") parked in front of the Fort Knox tank museum for a long time, and maybe still is. I think I remember seeing it a long time back in the 1980s.

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I didn't see this post yesterday or the day before, don't ask me why 'cause I dunno. Still, that is really no excuse for not checking it out and giving ya an "attaboy" with a salute. Good find, it is amazing the "odd" concepts that were tried in the early days of armored warfare. But, then again in a field in its infancy who knows what will be the "best idea" in the end?

8. delta36

delta36 Member

Stalin's heavy tank...
    Reminds me of a Wartank from the new Advanced wars days of ruin game

9. delta36

delta36 Member

I got a picture of the Wartank, It's on the top screen:

[​IMG]

10. delta36

delta36 Member

Actualy, I think the concept of Multi-turetted vehicles are commonly used in video games...

11. MVHAGEY

MVHAGEY Member

Very cool but they didn't add the underwater German tank that was proposed for the Invasion of Britain. It had a giant snorkel, but got bogged down in the mud. Maybe it isn't weird enough:confused:

12. Vanir

Vanir Member

I've seen those mini-tanks before. It was German, a remote controlled explosive device which raced over rough terrain under an enemy tank and detonated a very powerful charge. It was apparently quite effective, at least moreso than the Soviet "dog charges" for which the trained dog carrying the satchel would often get confused and run under friendly tanks...

I'm also familiar with the T-35, which performed poorly due to bad mobility and slab sided armour that was easily penetrated by small calibre anti-tank artillery of the day. Not too many were built, they were expensive and troublesome but did look good in an October Parade.
    The T-28 had the same issues and was a similar, but smaller overall design. Trench warfare era is usually stated, though mid-thirties in development.

Weird weapons references are always a good post, reminds us of just how many dumb ideas go with the good ones we end up seeing.

13. tackle74

tackle74 Member

Yeah Stalin's Orchestra was too much wow. The American T95 and T28 tank was still in front of the Patton Museum in Fort Knox last time I was there in the mid-90's. That small German remote control tank was called the "Goliath" by the Allies if I remember right.

14. macks

macks Member

15. Bevertails

Bevertails New Member

I'm curious as to why the german Maus tank was not mentioned?

Hitler was crazy no doubts, but the guys over at volkswagen gave hitler a run for his money, with just about 9-10inch steel armor covering this beast, it also carried a 128mm gun while going a top speed of 9 mph, but to top it off Hitler ordered 4 in the early 40's and in total by the end of the war only 2 were built.

[​IMG]

16. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

17. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Soviet T-28 and T-35 were part of the land battleship concept. Mechanical unreliability and thin armour spelled their demise

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

hadnt read this contribution by BD.
    thanks for the memories.
    as always- tanks should be a fine combination of amour, mobilty, and firepower.

19. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

not necessarily thin armour, rather shot traps doomed the multi turret tank.
    sloping armour helped.

20. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Dunno. 20 mm side armor and 30 mm glacis isn't impressive. As you said, a tank must combine firepower, armor and mobility and attain some sort of balance.

Too thin in my opinion but we should consider the time period they were envisioned for and the conditions they were thought to operate under. Unreliability stopped most of them. Anyway, too much resources for one vehicle. Better to produce one T-34/76A than one T-28 or T-3. But of course, the T-34 is a much later design.

Poppy likes this.