Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dang It! Here's another Fake...Marine from Iraqi Wars

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by texson66, Jul 8, 2009.

1. texson66

texson66 Ace

2. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

How is this relevant to World War II?

Dave

3. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Because I don't know if you noticed but we just had a lengthy discussion on a WWII vet who did the same thing.

4. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Yes, and, therefore, this thread should have been placed in the Free Fire Zone because it involves a fraudulent Iraq war veteran
    and not a WW II vet.

Dave

5. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

What I dont understand is how these men expect NOT to get caught :confused:

6. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Probably because they expect nobody would question them, or look into their actual background, because they are veterans it would seem disrespectful to do so.

This just made me think of the scene in Band of Brothers. If you go to about 4 minutes in this video you will see the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGrCl5I_Do

That soldier (not the replacement) was so close to having fought in Normandy and all his peers were taking their shots at the replacements, he wanted his.

7. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Tex,

Also very sad... This article reminds me of a good friend I grew up with as a kid... He was diagnosed with bi-polar 4 years ago. I saw him this past week when I was in California for my Grandmother's funeral. I hadn't seen him in 9 years. It was very frustrating for me to watch.... the constant pacing, random conversations, repeating of words and phrases, and the attitude up and downs. I felt helpless. It was extremely hard to see my good friend in this mindset. I felt like I didn't know him anymore... I had to keep reminding myself that this was a disease. In talking with his family, they are worried sick about him. Their son will walk random places and unknown distances with no communication. Now, I don't really know the extent or severity of Mr. Strandlofs case, and this in no way excuses his actions like the old timer from yesterdays posting posing as a paratrooper in the 82nd... I believe. I'm just expressing my view in dealing with a friend with bi-polar. They are not right... but is it really their fault?

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

interesting I know several women who have had bi-polar for years and the symptoms you describe Marcus are not bi-polar. sorry to say but it sounds like early onset Altzheimers to me, especially about not speaking and walking long distances without anyone knowing. I say this from first hand knowledge my poor brother in law acquired this and died at 53 years of age finally from a heart attack, he aged to look like he was in his 90's within a 5-7 year span.

poor guy(s)

there are and always will be posers amongst us

9. jemimas_special2

Erich,

I appreciate the feedback... The sad part about all this mess is that he's 28 years old! My Grandmother that recently passed had the same exact thing! The symptoms I have described above are clearly Alzheimers, but wonder if there is another disease or medical problem involved? Anyways, I know I'm straying off from the main subject here... how will we ever know the extent of what these men or women have truly gone through? The ones that are in the military that is. I believe it's a defeating result.... everytime. One can only speculate

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I know what you are saying but not all war-like probs are from combat situations. we have to llok further down the line to the man/womans lineage and how they grew up and came out of what kind of pressures.

say this as I do have a counsleing background plus going through .......... well lets just say: remember the late 60's early 70's in a place where no one wanted to be, plus the mideast in the early 80-90's, etc.

at 28 years anything could of happened wonder if any internal substances were used in the life ? this could easily lead down a nasty path uncontrollable by the person involved

11. jemimas_special2

Once again, well said Erich... I was trying to explain the same thing yesterday on behalf of the older mans response to being a paratrooper. I think of emotional wounds and family history... how were you raised? the home enviornment? medical history? The list could go on for a long time. But speaking for myself, I try and think bigger picture... Hopefully this is making sense, I am half awake :)

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

not to get too off-topic but had a good friend now moved some 15 years ago to Virgina that was a heli gunner in Nam. we talked of experiences and I worked with him closely for at least 8 years trying to get him to live with his depression/anger.

a person can wonder all they want but in his case getting blown out of his helicopter as it was landing to pick up marine hit by 2 rockets, he was blown clear with a concusion, his crew were all KIA. he often would ask why did I live....... guilty of living syndrome all over his face. Marcus I find it is about study and trust and trying to work calmly with people and having a good ear to listen.

jemimas_special2 likes this.
  13. jemimas_special2

Excellent! Everyone needs to read this part of our conversation. Words of wisdom and guidance right there. Thank you for your time Erich, enjoyed the chat