Photo
- - - - -

Rommel And Montgomery are at it again, this time for Gold!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sunny971

sunny971

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

Here is some useless reading material for ya!

Some time ago, I was bored so I decided to watch some tv. After flicking through the channels, I noticed some Winter sports on CBC (A Canadian channel) . Normally I wouldn't watch much sports but I got some interest in watching "the skeleton" which is for those who don't know , a person sliding through a tunnel like maze at 100 kmph + (and manage not to get killed!).

After few minutes of watching these men, I got bored and grabbed the remote to change the channel, when the sports announcer guy says "and now Rommel from Germany is up.." . Then I thought, boy, (being the ww2 nut case that I am) I thought, I wonder if he's related the the Field Marshall. Then he did his thing and I got bored again.. then right after.. "and now Montgomery is up" Then I thought to myself , "is this a dream, Rommel vs Montgomery?"
(although I'm not sure who won that "battle"...I got bored again!)

But It is real. There is a Frank Rommel from Germany, and a Jon Montgomery from Canada and they are both set to play for gold in the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics, in the Skeleton, Which I am watching!

Go Canada!!

Here is some info on these 2 men.. if you happen to find some interest.

CTV Olympics - Year in review: Skeleton

CTV Olympics - Rommel and Huber lead Germany to skeleton World Cup victories

CTV Olympics - Double the medals for Canadian skeleton men

Wonder if Patton will be competing too? :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

#2 Kruska

Kruska

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Hello sunny971,

he, he, good find :D, well maybe Dietrich will join them (Frank Dietrich - German Ironmen Hawaii)

Regards
Kruska
Imagine there is a WAR!!! - and your TV doesn't work

#3 sunny971

sunny971

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

Just a reminder the 2010 Olympics are here!!

For all those interested,

The skeleton match between Montomery and Rommel are on today at the Vancouver olympics. Qualifications are on tonight at 6:30 PST for those interested. The medal event will be on Friday Feb 19..

So far the Germans have been dominating in winning Gold in both mens and womans Luge event. And there are some tough competitors out there, like Latvia's Martins Dukurs. Should be an interesting match between two famous names, what a coincidence!

The battle is on once again!

Skeleton : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

WHO WILL WIN GOLD??

I'm going for CANADA! GO MONTE GO!!
Regards, Suzie.

#4 sunny971

sunny971

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:50 AM

Wooo Hooo!!!

Montgomery wins the Gold!!!!!!!! :D

Canada - Gold
Latvia - silver
Russia - bronze

Rommel in 7th place. :(

Men's - Heat 4 : Schedule and Results : Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

(why do I feel like I am the only one watching this? Canadians don't win gold too much so when we win... it's a national holiday !! )
Regards, Suzie.

#5 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

on your tail suzie...

Amy Williams takes Winter Olympics gold medal in the women's skeleton

• Posted Image
  • Posted Image
By Rachael Wheeler, Mirror.co.uk 20/02/2010
Amy Williams has won the Winter Olympics gold medal in the women's skeleton.
The 27-year-old from Bath ended Britain's 30-year wait for an individual gold, setting a new track record of 53.68sec in her third run and winning with a combined time of three mins 35.64secs across all four runs.
Following her victory, Amy said: “I am not very good at numbers or statistics, but I realise I am the first gold medal for a long time and I can't believe it's happening to me.
"It just shows if you have the determination, anyone from any country can be good at sport and that is what the British team has done here. Thanks to everyone who has helped me get to where I am."
"It was my golden achievement just to be at an Olympics.
Advertisement - article continues below »

"I just went for it, I knew I had prepared well and I knew I was in great form.
"It didn't feel like an Olympic Games, it just felt like a normal World Cup competition and nothing seemed to be different, just a few more people shouting.
"I can't believe it, it's great. I remember everything apart from halfway down the fourth run, then it was a bit of a blur, I can't remember much about it."
Britain’s last individual gold at the Winter Olympics was Robin Cousins at Lake Placid in 1980, who won the men’s figure skating title at Lake Placid in 1980 - two years before Williams was born.

#6 sunny971

sunny971

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:09 AM

it's been a great day for the commonwealth!
Regards, Suzie.

#7 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

watching the super "g" was good too suzie..ray..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users