Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

976th Engineer Maintance Company-info

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by koryandleslie, Jul 13, 2009.

1. koryandleslie

koryandleslie Member

I have the report of seperation papers on my grandfather. Though you can never walk in another man's shoes, I would like to know where he went and what battles he fought in. Maybe part of Buchenwald (sp?) liberation??? I want to go to Europe and see some of the places he saw.
    Any help on where I can find this info?

14 May 1943--22 Dec. 1945

2. macker33

macker33 Member

What unit was he in?

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

976th Engineer Maintance Company

4. koryandleslie

koryandleslie Member

Not to sound stupid. Don't know unit? Maybe 976th Engineer Maintance Company.

5. macker33

macker33 Member

OK,how dumb is that.

The 89th infantry division liberated Buchenwald and the 314th engineer batt was the attatched engineer unit
    89th INFANTRY DIVISION

the 42nd infantry division liberated Dachau,landsberg Kaufering complex(probably the 42nd),

US forces also liberated Flossenbuerg(90th inf div),

Ohrdruf by the 89th infantry division and the 4th armoured div.

Mauthausen(11th armoured div),gunskirchen(11th),

Ebensee by the 80th inf div.

Wöbbelin by 8th inf div and 82nd airborne.

I'll get back if i find anymore

6. macker33

macker33 Member

7. koryandleslie

koryandleslie Member

Thanks for the help so far. Box 6 is where I got 976th Engineer Maintance Company. Now, as far as Buchenwald, not really sure, just what my uncle told me that his father told him.
    It also says he was in Ardeness and I was told growing up that he was a part of D-Day landing on a beach ??? don't know if Normady or Omaha in the 2nd or 3rd round, later in the day.
    Also told that he was in Patton's 3rd Army.
    Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
    Thank you.

8. koryandleslie

koryandleslie Member

Under #33, Battles and campaigns it says:
    Ardennes
    Rhineland
    Central Europe
    GO 33 WD 45

Can someone help me figure this out, where he went, and what he saw?

9. Slipdigit

Those are recognized campaigns that his unit is credited with participation.

Ardennes - AKA Battle of the Bulge
    Rhineland - The series of battles closing up to and crossing the Rhine River in Winter and Spring 1945.
    Central Europe - The portion of the war after the crossing of the Rhine to the end of the war.

Finding much information on this unit will be difficult. It was a small, independent unit that was attached to different formations, probably a corps or army (not the Army, but one of the numbered army's HQ). It very likely was moved around as needed, falling under different HQ throughout it's existence.

As it was not one of the units that normally saw combat, finding it in battle narrations will be almost impossible. They most likely were in rear areas, building and maintaining roads, bridges, water supply and other infrastructure. They could have also been found building pontoon and similar bridges during or immediately after the forced crossing of a river.

They most likely would have fallen under First or Third Armies, although I am leaning heavily toward the Third, as the 6th Armored Divsion liberated Buchenwald and was under the 3rd Army at the time. Note: The 89th Infantry mentioned below liberated Ohrdruf, a subcamp of Buchenwald and was part of the 15th Army. As there were many subcamps of Buchenwald, it may be difficult to determine which "Buchenwald" he may have seen.

Can you scan the papers and post them? Are you sure it says "company"?

10. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Engineer maintenance companies are basically equipment parks for other units. What they do is hold a selection of construction machinery like bulldozers, graders, cranes, etc, for use by engineer battalions on an as needed basis. When the equipment is returned they make sure it is serviced and available for re-issue.

11. Slipdigit

I won't argue, I was confusing it with a Engineer Service Battalion

12. T. A. Gardner

Same thing, smaller unit. Maintenance companies repair and service equipment for issue.

13. macker33

macker33 Member

Its very hard to find anything below battalion level.

What can make things hard is that units can be moved around quite a lot.
    My best guess is that he was attatched to 976TH field artillery who were part of 45th infantry division.
    World War II unit histories & officers

according to the link below 45th inf div joined up with pattons 3rd army on sept 12th around normandy so thats probably when he got attatched to 45th div..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)#France_and_Germany
    (best link,you can get locations here)

Pattons third army.
    .Third United States Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GO 33 WD 45=General Order 33 War department 45
    Google Answers: world war tow unit citation

It all pretty much ties up with his seperation papers but you should double check everything just to make sure,

14. aaronhuberty

aaronhuberty recruit

My name is Aaron Huberty and I live in Ankeny, Iowa. My grandfather, Herbert Huberty, served in the 976th Engineer Maintenance Company, 2nd maintenance platoon.

I've recently come across several photos from his time in Germany; mostly from when he was with US troops in Buchenwald concentration camps after Nazi's had fled the camp.

I have several photos and some list of names. I would like to learn as much as I can about his time in this platoon and any stories which I could capture for family history.

What's the best way to proceed?

15. T. A. Gardner

You might post the list of names and any other information you have on them. That might lead to so new contacts and also information.

16. jm1981

jm1981 New Member

Hi All, My grandfather Myron Schecterman was in the 976th Engineer Maintenance Company. His discharge papers list only Rome/Arno for battles. However, I have photos of him in Vigelise or Vizelise or Vezelise; Houdreville; Lyon; Etampes, Bourg; all in France and also Germany and Belguim at some point too. From stories, we know he was in Italy too (confirming the document). Would love to learn more from anyone on the board. Thanks!

17. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Finding info in smaller units and especially support units, is not easy. I could be wrong, but I have not found any indication that the 976th Eng. Maintenance Company was anywhere but Europe (i.e. France, Belgium, Germany). It that is the case, it may be that your grandfather served in more than one unit, which would explain the campaign credit for Rome/Arno. It was not unusual, especially after VE Day, for soldiers to be transferred to other units.

18. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

On a more general note, I came across a document on Fold3.com that referenced the 976th Engineer Maintenance Company. I thought it was interesting so figured I would post a transcription of the relevant section:

19. firstflabn

firstflabn recruit

The Third Army report for Sep 44 shows the 976th serving at army level and was the only such unit at army level. One or two other maintenance companies were serving in the fall with different corps in the Third Army. 12th Army Group had a total of 24 maintenance companies in Apr 45, so these were fairly rare birds. The theater as a whole had 48. These companies were each authorized a strength of 191.

I would ask NARA to look for monthly histories for the 976th. The requirement for these periodic histories was met in various ways, so it might not be called a monthly history, but it doesn't cost anything to ask them to look for a history or operational report.

Histories for service units often read like travelogues, other times as a list of work completed, and occasionally note some important achievement. Maybe you'll get lucky and they compiled a campaign history as a single document and you won't have to pry a series of monthly reports out of NARA.

20. jm1981

jm1981 New Member

Hello TD-Tommy and firstflabn!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! I'll add some info on what I've done: I went to NARA (I'm in DC at this year) and all they had was weekly reports from 1945 in Germany - not a whole lot there. That was it. The archivist told me my best bet moving forward was informal histories through other members of the company. Not sure how to attach images to the thread (it was RG 407, Box 15459).

I also was able to get two records from Kansas City, which I'm told I was fortunate in this regard as many records burned in the big fire. One is a final payment and one is injury reports (from playing baseball!). Would either one of you be willing to look at payment or the discharge record to see if there's anything I'm missing? I'm not sure if it's something I should post here for my privacy reasons (my grandfather passed long ago).

Thanks again!