Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Willys jeep

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by nmerique1, Jul 27, 2009.

1. nmerique1

nmerique1 Member

I have a 1948 willys jeep being restored for WWII accuracy (accept the lights which stick out of the grille). I need to know all the stencils im going to need for my jeep.

2. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

PzJgr likes this.
  3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

behindthelines likes this.
  4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

5. scarface

scarface Member

That's a great link, Clint.

I thought this was an interesting passage:

====================================
    [SIZE=+2]Why is the gas tank located under the driver's seat?[/SIZE]
    When Carl Probst and the people from the different branches of the armed forces were brainstorming over what would become the jeep, the following observation was brought up. The jeep was to operate with a normal crew of 3 people, oftentimes more. That to have the driver be shot/killed would usually result in death or injury to all occupants by loss of control of the vehicle. So any bullet with a trajectory intersecting the driver meant the crew was most likely a write off. A bullet with any other trajectory would only take out a non-essential occupant (non-essential to the operation of the vehicle anyway). The jeep must have a gas tank, which is by nature prone to fire & explosion when fired upon, especially with incendiary, or tracer rounds. An explosion of the fuel tank would injure/kill all occupants of a jeep. To minimize the number of "death shot" trajectories available to the enemy, the tank was placed under the driver. To put it anywhere else was to double the number of places that the enemy could deliver a death shot to the entire crew. By putting the high risk areas together, they minimized the space and therefore increased the chances of crew & vehicle survivability. ....... Civilians face different circumstances when talking about survivability. They are much more likely to get in a collision, than shot at. Ruptured and flaming gas tanks inside passenger compartments was frowned upon by Hi-way Traffic safety people, which led to rules being put in place to move gas tanks outside the interior cabin space of vehicles to better protect the occupants.

=====================================

Oh, the cold-hearted calculus of war.

-whatever

-Lou