Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Michael Vick reinstated by NFL

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by JagdtigerI, Jul 27, 2009.

1. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

"Michael Vick is back in the NFL. Now all he needs is a team to play for.

Vick, free after serving 18 months in prison for running a dogfighting ring, was reinstated with conditions by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday. He could participate in regular-season games as early as October.

Vick can immediately take part in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games - if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams have already said they would not."

Will any team take him?

Michael Vick reinstated by NFL | Comcast.net

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

This probably belongs in the "sports" section, but I'll post my two cents worth before it gets moved.

...Vick's issues are far from over. Already, the owners of the New York Giants and New York Jets said they have no interest in the 29-year-old quarterback, who once was the league's highest-paid player.

Vick needs to find a team so he can get himself out of financial ruin. He filed for bankruptcy protection last July, listing assets of about $16 million and debts of more than $20 million, and he has a hearing about his plan to repay his creditors Friday in Norfolk, Va. That plan is built around his ability to make NFL-type money again.

Vick unlikely will command anything close to the 10-year, $130 million contract he once had with the Falcons or receive endorsement deals because of the grisly details of his involvement in the dogfighting ring.

See:

Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis

He is going to have a hard road to hoe finding anything like the "dust" he was making in the past. No matter how sincere his remorse, his name is down the dumper and endorsements are going to be non-existent.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

My guess is that there is at least one owner willing to take him on. How about Al Davis?

4. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

Maybe Jerry Jones?

5. LRusso216

Also a good guess. Neither guy has much scruples.

6. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

While no Angel, Vick is a great player. Im sure there will be teams who will pick him up and will do so at a bargain rate.

In their eyes it will either be their way or the highway and Vick isn't going to argue either. Im sure a team like the Raiders can use him.

7. Fgrun83

Fgrun83 Member

If he ends up with the cowboys or the raiders you should just lock him back up because imo he needs a team that is in a less crime related city or i feel the same demons will knock on his door, i hope for he uses his 2nd chance wisely it only comes once

8. D1J1

D1J1 Member

This is what I thought too, but its not quite correct. Participation in regular season games at any point in time is not yet cut in stone. The commissioner will review when he wishes to reinstate Vick sometime in mid to late October.

Regards,
    Dennis

9. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Odd that that article mentions the NY Teams - Giants are well set with their Franchise Quarterback, and Sanchez is the new face of the Jets. If anybody needs him, I'd say it would be the Vikings.

10. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Thompson does play it close to the vest, but I don't think the Packers need another QB distraction as they have just gone through that whole Favre crud, and tried their best to reassure Rogers he is "the man" for their future.

The Packers didn't try the "Wildcat" formation at all last year, but Vick might give them the option where Aaron Rogers doesn't have the foot speed to do so.

I wonder how Vick's price-tag would meet up with the Green Bay salary caps? It is unlikely Vick could work for a pitance, since he is sort of obligated for certain amounts of new "income" by his bankruptcy. I think he took the type that needs to be paid off eventually, but at a reduced payment scale. Just a guess.

12. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I disagree with this decision. I do not think he should ever set foot inside an NFL locker room again.

As for where he goes, I've heard some anylists claim that if he is not in a camp by Monday he will have little option but to look at Canada or the new UFL.

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

News update, Vick has signed on with the Eagles. I hope he has turned his life around (as he and Tony Dungee say), and that he does well on his second chance.

I wish the man no ill, and actually he might make a good man to replace McNabb when he "ages out", as he is sure to do sooner rather than later.

14. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What the hell are they doing in Philly? Andy Reid has ome explaining to do.

15. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Here is a link to the story I read this morning.

Goto:

The top sporting news and sports headlines - Yahoo! News

Coach Reid seems to be a fair man in the interviews at least.

16. LRusso216

I heard this last night while watching the preseason game. I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the Eagles this season. But, if anyone can put a muzzle on Vick (pun intended), it's probably Andy Reid. If he doesn't follow the rules, he'll be gone.

17. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Andy Reid is a great coach. One of the best in the league. He goes more from a standpoint of team chemistry than capability. He went out on a limb and signed TO only to have it tear the team apart. I can only hope Vick doesn't begin to cause problems.

On the other hand, my preseason tickets against the Jags on the 27th just got a whole lot more valuable.

18. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

When I heard this my jaw dropped.

The Eagles are my #2 after the Ravens of course. :D

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

We had a powerful thunderstorm come through Billings last night just as the preseason game was getting going, and my power was out until way late and I had gone to bed without knowing how the game came out or about Vick.

Got up this morning and watched the "highlights" of the game, and found the Vick story as well. I hope he does "turn his life around", and has nothing but a good impact on young people in the community, and in his new team chemistry.

Too much money, too quick, and too many relatives who took advantage of his name and postition. He should have "nipped the whole thing" in the bud when he first figured it out, Vick has made those mistakes, and acknowledges them. That is a good start to recovery.

20. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

This would be the same team that signed Terrel Owens. Nuff said.