Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

new member-daughter of veteran 34th div ww2

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by harbit, Jul 28, 2009.

1. harbit

harbit recruit

Hello,
    I don't think if I would qualify as a cadet or recruit on your forum. I'm more of a bystander.

I am the daughter of a WW2 veteran, now 92 yrs old, and I am doing research of my Dad's service is WW2. This September we will be traveling to Vernio, Italy for a dedication. My father was unable to travel years ago to another dedication due to health problems / surgeries.

For many, many years the memories were still too hard for him to discuss much about his time in the service. Only in the last several years has he been open to talk about it so I am trying to piece together his memories with locations and dates.

My father also has a nice collection of photos from N. Africa and Italy . Unfortunately I can only identify the places that you would see in tourist books and post cards.

We hope to visit places in Italy that would mean the most to him, but we are limited to places reacheable by car/train/bus.

If anyone on this forum would have suggestions or know of other sites for me to search I would really appreciate it.

2. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Welcome harbit, I'm sure you will receive some helpful info info on this site.

3. SPGunner

SPGunner Member

Welcome.

4. Pen

Pen Member

Hello Harbit,
    Welcome - from one WWII daughter to another! I'm pretty new here, too, but I know you're going to like it and find a lot of information here. Nice group of folks.

5. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

harbit,

Pleasure to have you with us! Where did your Father serve?, and what branch of the military? Maybe we can help a little more if we have some further background :)

Mark

6. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

welcome harbit,click on main menu and scroll down to general disscussions and then choose option information requests,pose any questions here,and I'm sure you'll find answers,ray..

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Harbit,

Welcome. Please extend to your father my gratitude and that of my family for his service.

As you may have figured by now, the 34th Infantry Division was in action longer than most other divisions of the war. Was he with them the entire time? If so, he saw a lot, and probably most of it was things he didn't want to see.

What unit of the 34th was he with?

Anything you would like to post about him would be welcomed. If he has anything he would like to add or if he would be willing to answer questions, we would enjoy hearing what he has to say. If you would like to and if you plan on posting more about him, we can create a thread in our Veteran's section of the forum about him. Honor, Service and Valor - World War II Forums

Anyway that I, or the other moderators can help you, please let us know.

8. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us and a :salute: to your Father.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome harbit to a fine and knowledgeable place. I hope your father gets to enjoy his upcoming trip.

I bet if you would post a few of the pictures you have, some of the Rogues would be able to give you more information. Good luck.

10. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Welcome, harbit. Like you and Pen, I too am the daughter of a Veteran of WWII - only in my case, Canadian. I envy you the opportunity to travel with your Dad and the chance to hear his story. If I can find any information that can assist you, I will do so. I hope you will enjoy it here, and I'm certain one of our Rogues will be able to give you assistance.

11. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Hello Harbit and welcome to this fine place! I am sure that many of the Rogues who wander her will be able to offer you assistance in your research. As others have suggested, if you open a thread in the information request section and post scans of some of your photos, that would be a good start.

As Slipdigit has already said, please also extend my gratitude to your father for his years of service. I appreciate all that he sacrificed.

Cheers!