Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WWI PERCUSSION FUZE

Discussion in 'Artillery' started by tiger moth, Jul 30, 2009.

1. tiger moth

tiger moth Member

Hello I have been given some war items and I have just googled this item and I now know it is a world war 1 fuze, but what I don’t know is it safe? Someone told me they can be dangerous but I don’t know. If any one can tell me some more about it I would be very grateful. I have more bits that I will be showing so keep a look out thanks for any help.
    If you would like to see better pictures just send me your email and I can send you them Thanks

Attached Files:

2. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Unless you know for absolutely and I mean absolutely for sure that the powder train in that fuze has been removed it is extremely dangerous. You need to have someone who is expert in such things disassemble and remove the powder train in the fuze to render it inert or to determine that it is in fact inert. Only then is it safe.

3. b0ned0me

b0ned0me Member

Well, if not inerted they are lethally dangerous, even a few grams of 90 year old explosive can ruin your day. And if you don't know for sure, you have to assume the worst. Call up your local police station or military facility and ask for advice, they'll probably be reasonably familiar with this sort of thing.

F'rinstance, here's a poor sap who got blown up by a shell from the American Civil War - 140 years old and still capable of going boom.

4. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

Now that's the understatement of the week... :D

5. spotter

spotter Member

The fuze is a ww1 British No101 impact fuze used with the 18pdr field gun and others .
    The 101 E was introduced into service in 1916 and declared obsolete in 1943

The attatched image shows the fuze with all its components ,

Attached Files:

Martin Bull likes this.
  6. tiger moth

tiger moth Member

Hello and thank you for your advice I have someone who knows about these coming to take a look and if he is in any doubt that it might still be active then I am going to ring the police. Thanks

7. tiger moth

tiger moth Member

Hello just a quick note to say that the fuse I have is now gone “YES THE BOMB DISPOSAL HAVE BEEN” So thanks for your warnings