Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Taking Of The Brewery In Manila WW2

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by James Cox, Aug 1, 2009.

1. James Cox

James Cox Member

I am researching an incident my father related to me many years ago. He told me that they captured a brewery, he thought it was San Migel, and that everyone was cathing beer in their helmets, canteens etc. They were ordered to leave but they wouldn't. Those in charge decided to leave well enough alone and let them stay for a while longer.

Has anyone heard this story before?

2. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

Yes I have. What's more, during the Japanese occupation, the San Miguel Brewery was forced to a brew beer using a Japanese recipe that was largely sugar and rice based and an abomination to drink. As soon as the brewery fell into US hands, the owners gave away all of the beer in their inventory to US Soldiers, absolutely free, before going back to brewing their original beer, using their much superior, original recipe.

3. bcarusella

bcarusella New Member

James it's been a while since you posted this but I have some papers related to the US Army at the San Miguel Brewery and can send copies if you're interested. They are interviews of the officers and men who worked there. Only a few pages but interesting stuff.

4. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

you know, i'm filipino but the scene i usually see depicted in media was US soldiers catching wine with their helmets, the wine pouring from a bullet-riddled cask somewhere in europe. great story!