Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Japanese Soldier That Got Dad

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by James Cox, Aug 15, 2009.

1. James Cox

James Cox Member

My dad was hit near Baguio on the Phillipines. He was shot in the legs twice and was hit by a grenade which caused him to have his foot amputated. A jap came out to finish him off but he was killed before he got to him.

In any case my dad took his wallet and flag and he left them to me.

I have attached a photo of the Jap that got dad, some money from the wallet and a card that, I think, was in it.

Does anyone read Japanese. What does the card say?

How cool is it to have something like this? I'm glad dad was a pack rat and never through anything away. I have tons of stuff from his time in the military.

Attached Files:

2. marc780

marc780 Member

That is some story! That guy had it comin served him right (the jap, not your dad). Did your dad's buddys shoot the guy or did something else happen? Are there any more details of this story available?

3. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

By this time, it would be nice to return those items to any family the Japanese soldier had. The Japanese Embassy can probably help.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Those are great things to have and I am glad your father survived to bring them home with him. What else do you have that you could post?

5. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

James thank you for sharing your Fathers story... I'm glad your Father survived, and it's interesting to see the pictures of the enemy and the possesions obtained. Great story!

Mark

6. James Cox

James Cox Member

Norris "Red" Sears shot the Jap. He was Dad's best friend and they stayed close until Red died. I have tons of stuff. Here is a photo of the wallet and a page from the book dad took off him. Looks like a battle map? Also a page with names and nick names of 129th Infantry Company G 3rd Platoon 2nd squad. And award of the Bronze Star.

I have photos of all of the Company G Squads and some of their photos on Bougainville in my photo album on this site.

I also have a website with most of the stuff i have. Please visit at

129thinfantrypage.com

I will scan a few more things to add later

Jim

Attached Files:

7. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Member

I just glanced at your website. What a great tribute to your dad!

8. James Cox

James Cox Member

Thanks

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Great pictures. Fine website. Well done.

10. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

That is an incredible story James. However, nowadays the word "Jap" is typically considered a derogatory ethnic slur. It seems to me that a little more respect is due to this Japanese soldier, you have no idea what his background is, he was most likely just a soldier fighting for his country just like your dad. And as Gromit said, it might be nice to try and return those items to his family.

11. James Cox

James Cox Member

My dad did not consider them human. The brutality they used was not because they were doing there duty, but because they liked it. I use the word in regards to the Japs he fought in WW2 not the Japanese living today. And yes it is derogatory and meant to be. I will keep this stuff to remind me of my dad walking on one leg the rest of his life. I am sorry if this offends anyone, but I won't change unless the site requires it

Jim

FD01, blacksnake, 36thID and 2 others like this.
  12. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

This is not the place for such an argument, you are entitled to your own opinion I suppose.

13. James Cox

James Cox Member

Please don't mistake strong words for arguing. This is a place for exchange of opinions and this is mine. I in turn honor your opinion. Consider this:

The soldiers they faced were the same unit that was responsible for the Nanking Massacre, also known as the Rape of Nanking. In a six-week period following the Japanese capture of Nanking, up to 80,000 women were raped and hundreds of thousands of civilians were murdered.

Jim

14. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

The decent thing to do is to contact the Japanese Embassy in
    Washington and offer to provide scans of the photo and the
    other items from the Japanese soldier.

By the way, my dad hated the Japs because they killed his youngest
    brother in Luzon in January 1945. But after 64 years, it is time
    to let go of the hate.

Dave

Totenkopf, Gromit801 and syscom3 like this.
  15. Triple C

Triple C Ace

James,

What your father found in the wallet is a business card. I do not know if the name on the business card was the name of the establishment (less likely) or the name of the Japanese soldier (more likely). On the left hand side of the post card was the business address and telephone number of the soldier when he was a civilian, as well as the address of his residence, somewhere in Palau Island. He worked in a mail shipping company.

16. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Well done Triple... interesting thread. I've enjoyed reading the posts, and learning both sides of this amazing story :) especially enlight of your findings. Well done!

Mark

17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Jim,

As a general rule, we discourage the use of the word Jap, except in special circumstances, such as when used by a veteran himself, in period documents, quotes and the like. I chose to allow you to continue using the word, due to the special circumstances, as I felt you were representing your father, his views and what he would say. He served this country in a difficult way, it is the least we could do.

How about a compromise? When speaking representing your father, please continue use wording as he would use. When speaking on your behalf, use Japanese? Does that sound agreeable to you?

blacksnake and kerrd5 like this.
  18. James Cox

James Cox Member

I will stay within your guidelines which I actually agree with.

Now that I know there is a chance to identify the "soldier" I am going to change my mind. I have contacted the Japanese Embassy and this morning I sent scans of all the stuff to them. They will let me know if they can identify him and, if so, I will send it to them. Maybe there's someone, like me, looking for info on their father. Hell, I might take it to them myself.

Anyway here's something cool. When the war was over, and automobile manufactures started making cars again, the first cars that came off the line were given to amputee Veterans. My dad got one of the first ones. Here's the sales reciept and a photo.

Attached Files:

19. texson66

texson66 Ace

My wife can read Japanese; I'll get her to look at the card tonight when I get home. Great job on your website too!

20. 36thID

36thID Member

Thanks for the snapshot of history. Great Stuff !!!