We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
- - - - -

11th Infantry Division Co F

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 MikeLux

MikeLux

Conscript

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 05:15 AM

Hello all,

is this post still active? I have found it, while I was searching information regarding F-Co. For many years already I am searching for to MIAs in the Sauer river crossing area.

So if this post is still active, please tell me ;-)

regards,

Mike

#27 MikeLux

MikeLux

Conscript

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 06:11 AM

what I forgot ....

If somebody is interested by sharing documents or Idpfs .... I have lots of reports for this period around Feb 9

regards
Mike

#28 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

Hi, Mike.  It's not dead, just in hibernation.  :)  Active threads tend to be more "visible", so reviving it may help you connect with others of similar interest.  You should also also click on the "Follow this topic" button which is to the right of the topic title.  You can opt to get notifications when someone posts to this topic.

How did you get interested in Company F and the Sauer River crossing?

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

Halvorson_PTO129IR-37ID2.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#29 MikeLux

MikeLux

Conscript

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:49 PM

Hi @ all

Back from work and now relaxing in the backyard, I can tell you how I came to F-Co J

For several years already I am searching for MIAs of WW2. No matter which nation, I don’t make a difference between Germans or GIs. They all have been human beings and had a mother, father, etc.

Some years ago, my mentor, Fred Karen, told that there is an elder woman from the states who is looking to figure out the place where a family member has fallen in WW2. He was a member of the 5th Inf Div, 11th Inf Regt, 2nd Bn, Co-F. His name was Michael Greco. He went missing during the sauer river crossing and was found a year later by a young civilian.

I was able to locate the exact spot where he was fallen an I could locate some of his personal stuff.

One day, I received an email from another person, asking me if I am familiar with the sauer river crossing site, because she heard that I had found the Greco location … she told me that she is also searching for a family member who is still missing. Her name is Barbara Geissler, and the case I am talking from is Fred Goempel (he is already mentioned in this post). I promised her to find Fred!

Among the years I have collected piles of stuff, reports, etc. … I located other MIAs in other areas … and and and … but still searching for Fred.

And now I have found this forum and this post about F-Co. And you have to know, I am doing all this as non-profit researcher. I think that my motivation is only to give a little back to these persons for what they have done for us. I try to bring back home all this missing persons and give back a face to all the unknown.

During the years we wrote a database including all unknown burials trough ETO to figure these people out which have been buried as unknowns, but where today we are able to give them back a name J

So here I am … and please apologize for my bad english J

Edited by MikeLux, 27 July 2016 - 05:50 PM.

• TD-Tommy776 and McCabe like this

#30 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:39 AM

No need to apologize, Mike.  Your English is fine.  I have much respect and appreciation for what you are doing.  Gratitude is a rare and underrated human attribute these days. Keep up the good work.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

Halvorson_PTO129IR-37ID2.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#31 Ryan112390

Ryan112390

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:42 AM

I will say this. My grandfather never often spoke of his service. He did share a tale with my uncle about an experience he had had. He and his men were in France, possibly near Luxembourg (He wasn't in the ETO all that long - February 1944 to January 1945). One day, he and his men went to fill their canteens by a small body of water - possibly a stream, a river or a ravine - due to the passage of time (this story was told more than 40 years ago and you're essentially getting a third hand account) the exact area/exact river has been forgotten (He may not have even mentioned it in the first place)...Anyway, the water in their canteens tasted "funny." They followed along the river and a ways up they came upon the source of the odd taste - the river was littered with bodies, German and Allied alike. There's probably a great many men who perished in rivers and streams across France - some whose identities will probably never be known or connected with a military death, especially with the 1973 fire, and who probably were listed as MIA then and remain so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users