Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Hari Cari"

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by E. Anderson, Apr 25, 2002.

1. E. Anderson

E. Anderson Member

What is the origin of the phrase "Hari Cari"? If i am spelling this wrong or if you would like to answer feel free.

2. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Dear Erik, do you mean "Hara Kiri" as in Japanese ritual suicide?
    If not, i don't believe i am familiar with the term "Hari Cari"

3. E. Anderson

E. Anderson Member

Yes i believe that i was thinking of that. Thank you very much. Could you direct me to more info on it?

4. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Of course Erik. This is a very interesting topic. The Japanese followed a strict code called 'Bushido', and this basically governed their way of thinking.
    In the essence of battle, the Japanese forces of WW2 were made to believe that they were the new breed of the old Samurais. They wore headresses showing the Rising Sun-as did the Samurai warriors, and followed strict practices in war.
    It was extremely dishonourable for men to be captured in battle-and there were 2 practices of ritual suicide-Seppuku-or belly-cutting. This was the practice used by the enlisted men as it was a hasty ritual-and involved them either impaling themselves on their swords or just slashing their abdomens.
    Hara-Kiri on the other hand was a methodical practice in which the person slashed his abdomen, ran his sword through his stomach, piercing organs and disembowelling themsleves. this was reserved for officers.
    Now towards the end of the war-these practices of ritual suicide became more violent and more timid at the same time. 'Banzai' charges toward the enemy were common and basically guaranteed an honourable death. Others simply threw themselves from cliffs, as was common with the CIVILIAN population of Okinawa.

Please-if you require any further information-do not hesitate to ask-i have much more, regards, Ryan.

5. E. Anderson

E. Anderson Member

Thanks for the information you have posted so far. My question has been sufficiently answered.(a bit too much answered) didn't know that they were such fanatics though, thanks man