2 replies to this topic

#1 bulldogg307

bulldogg307

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

I am currently in Iraq and my 1sg gave me a mission to find out why the 2nd bn rangers wore the "Lozenge" patch and what there motto was. I have looked everywhere and everything says there was no significant reason but that they didnt like it cause it rezembled the SUNOCO sign and I did see where that 2bn was the ones given the "Rangers -Lead the Way" but that is not what he wants to know. So I figured I would go right to the EXPERTS and ask them any help appreciated Thanks
SPC Latham "AIRBORNE---ALL THE WAY"

#2 wtid45

wtid45

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hey Bulldog, I have looked at various websites and in my copy of Rudders Rangers, and all I can come up with is that the 2nd and 5th battalions wore the lozenge patch from 19th June 1943-8th July 1946, and it was designed by a 2nd battalion officer whilst at Fort Dix why they wore it remains to be seen as for the motto it is Rangers Lead The Way! will email a buddy of mine who was a Ranger and former forum member and see if he can shed any light.Jason
WHEN YOU GO HOME, TELL THEM OF US AND SAY, FOR YOUR TOMORROW,WE GAVE OUR TODAY. Epitaph on the Kohima memorial .

#3 wtid45

wtid45

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Bulldog, I emailed my buddy and he came up with this 'As 2nd Rangers were not part of Darbyforce they wore different insignia, it is also thought this was done to confuse the Germans as to Ranger units disposition' hope that helps:)
WHEN YOU GO HOME, TELL THEM OF US AND SAY, FOR YOUR TOMORROW,WE GAVE OUR TODAY. Epitaph on the Kohima memorial .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users