Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

On this date the invasion of Salerno in 1943

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by 36thID, Sep 9, 2009.

1. 36thID

36thID Member

On this date in 1943, the men of the 36th Division, which included my uncle, 141st Reg, Cannon Co, invaded Salerno Italy. Regretfully this was done under the command of General Mark Clark. Clark had the no so brilliant idea of a sneak attack and sent these boys in without a naval bombardment. As soon as these brave soldiers hit the beach the Germans announced on a loudspeaker "Come on in and surrender, you're all surrounded". Of course they didn't surrender but fought to the death to establish a foothold on the beach. As they were blasted from the hills above Paestrum, only one cannon made it ashore, it was my uncle's unit. He fought on untill KIA on 12/12/1944 in Eastern France.

An incredible footnote, his brother, my uncle Orrville, served in the Navy and was delivering soldiers in a LST ship at Salerno !!! His ship was hit and he spent 14 hours in the water before being rescued. I don't know if they ever knew each other was at this brutal battle. May they both rest in peace along with the others that served their country well.

Best Regards,

Steve

LRusso216 likes this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks for the reminder Steve. My father was also in the invasion as part of the 505th Coast Artillery. The third battalion later became the 900th AA/AWB in March 1944. In January 1945, that unit became part of the 473rd Infantry Regiment attached to the 92nd Division.

My father survived the war, and died in 1990.

3. Drucius

Drucius Member

My grandad lost his leg at Salerno.

He was knocked off his motorbike by a US Army truck!

True story.

4. 36thID

36thID Member

What division and regiment ?