Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"The strangest ship in the Royal Navy."

Discussion in 'The CBI Theater' started by OpanaPointer, Sep 10, 2009.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Reposted from another forum with permission:

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That was a tough bunch of men.

We don't realize how trivial some of the decisions we have to make, when compared to that which Capt. Wilkinson made.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

The evacuation from singapore for those that got on a boat or were withdrawing is littered with many stories of similar if not as engulfing as this one. But the tales many have of the run to safety are gut wrenching on occasions.

4. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Hand Salute!

5. OpanaPointer

Debriefing Report Of Last Action of HMS Li Wo.

[FONT=&quot]Report By Chief Petty Officer C. H. Rogers D/JX 125387[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Final Action Of The Li-Wo Near Banka Island[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]After returning from my last job in Singapore, Jahore Straits Patrol, I was detailed to join HMS Li Wo, a river boat of 1,000 tons and speed of 15 knots. It had one 4” gun forward, two twin Lewis guns, one Halman projector and ASDIC installation procedure.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My joining orders were to report to Orange Hotel at 1500 hours, 13 Feb 42. The Japanese were occupying Singapore very quickly and the hotel was under fire from trench mortars. On reporting I was detailed to take a party of men from about 80 idfferent branches to join the Li Wo. Having loaded the lorries with provisions we proceeded to Keppel Harbour where the ship was anchored about 1 mile off shore.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Once on board the 1st Lieutenant, Lt. Stanton, gave my orders, which were to detail off gun crews, lookouts, and men for the engine and boiler rooms. About midnight we found we were no longer able to communicate with shore but were advised by another ship to move off. This we attempted, but the C.O., Lt. Wilkinson, found it extremely difficult owing to the lack of marker buoys and decided to anchor until morning. At dawn the gun crews were closed up and the ship got under way.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]During the afternoon of the 14th we were bombed but luckily no hits were scored. At about 19000 hours we anchored in a small bay on one of the islands. The next morning we were bombed again but escaped being hit. The planes were very low which gave us a chance to retaliate with machine gun fire. The Captain then decided we would make a dash through “bomb alley”, the Banka Straits. Whilst proceeding to this area we sighted a convoy of about 30 ships, on the horizon off our starboard bow, heading in the direction of Banka Island, but were unable to identify them until we closed to about 16,000 yards. Suddenly, on the horizon, dead ahead, we sighted the tops of 3 funnels, which turned out to be a Jap cruiser carrying 6” guns. We also sighted off our port bow a Jap destroyer heading the convoy, which was in sections of 4 and 6 ships. The Captain was also certain that its mission was to support the invasion of Singapore.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Word very rapidly passed around the ship that we were going to go into action and that the leading ship in the nearest section would be our first target. Battle ensigns were hoisted, one on Gaff and one at Masthead, and we closed rapidly with the 4” gun ready to open fire. With no sign of enemyfire we closed to 2,000 yards when the order to open fire was given. The 1st salvo fell short, the 2nd crossed the bow and the 3rd scored a direct hit just under the bridge. She appeared to be on fire and turned to port. The other ships turned to starboard and commenced firing at us with small calibre guns.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The damaged ship was now approaching the Li Wo, still firing, so the C.O. decided to ram her. We hit her at top speed amidships and became interlocked, our bows being buckled back – we were now really at close quarters. A machine gun duel took place which was fast and furious, with many men killed or wounded. The Li Wo gunners eventually wiped out the 2 guns which caused the Japs to abandon ship, which by this time was well on fire.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Whilst all this was happening the Jap cruiser had circled around behind us and was heading straight for us at high speed. We eventually became disentangled from the crippled Jap ship and set course away from the cruiser. The cruiser opened fire at a range of 18,000 yards and noticed that the enemy destroyer that had been heading for us on the opposite was turning away. No doubt she knew that we were at the mercy of the cruiser as we were outgunned and out-ranged.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]We zigzagged as the salvos fell – we had a poor opinion of the Jap gunners as their salvos of 6” shells were falling wide, sometimes 300 yards or more off target. However, gradually they came nearer and nearer and shrapnel was now hitting us causing many men to be killed or wounded. I personally was hit with 3 pieces of shrapnel in the leg, but not seriously wounded. After about the 9th salvo we were told to abandon ship, so all who were able to jumped overboard. Very soon afterwards the cordite locker at the rear of the gun and amidships was hit. The last sight I had of the Li Wo as she started on her last voyage to the bottom of the ocean was something I shall never forget – her ensigns were still flying and the Captain was standing on the bridge, and, although, listing to port, she was still under way. Then, suddenly, she disappeared – the Li Wo was no more. For this action, Lt Wilkinson was awarded the V.C. (Posth).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]HMS Li Wo[/FONT][FONT=&quot] had fought her last action and was now at rest on the bottom of the ocean. The few remaining men who had escaped were at the mercy of the sea – there was no land in sight. Eventually in the distance a lifeboat was sighted, bobbing up and down in the swell. L. S. Thompson and myself struck out towards it, but just as we were approaching it, we noticed a ship from the convoy heading towards us. We swam away as fast as possible and on glancing back saw the ship ram the lifeboat. Around this area there were about 30 men struggling for their lives, little realising that the worst part was yet to come – the Japs were not content to leave us to our fate, but circled around and opened up a murderous attack with machine guns, hand grenades, coal and wood. It was just plain cold blooded murder. Amidst the hell, men could be heard crying out for mercy, but still the Japs continued their ‘sport’. I lay on my back with arms outstretched and luckily no more shots came in my direction.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]After what seemed like an eternity the ship moved off, leaving the ones that had cheated death again, once more, to their fate. Those that were able to, made toward the lifeboat, which was by now about half submerged – there were only 8 survivors. Lt Stanton had a bullet hole through the back of his head, another officer was wounded in the stomach and had part of his hand shot away, P. G. Huntley had his foot blown off and was in very bad condition. We helped each other into the lifeboat which was now submerged to the gunwhale, and tried to make the best of a bad situation. There were no oars, food or medical supplies, all we could do was let the boat drift. As e drifted we saw the ship that we had crippled – it was also drifting, and still on fire. We spent a very cold night, and as dawn broke, one of the officers whom I had been holding in my arms, died from his severe shrapnel wounds. I informed Lt. Stanton who helped me take off his lifebelt and put him over the side where he slowly sank below the surface.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]After about 2 days, we eventually saw our first sign of land on the horizon, about 16 miles away. We were all in rather bad shape, but ignoring the sharks which have been swimming around us continuously and yet never attacked us once, we attempted to tow the boat toward the shore, but to no avail. A Jap destroyed came and had a sniff at us and we wondered if our earlier experiences would be repeated. However, they only gave us a cursory glance and sailed away, leaving us to our fate, but we were not going to be beaten.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The boat was now getting extremely waterlogged and we expected her to go down at any time. Lt. Stanton decided to try to get to the Jap ship which was now 2 miles away, and so, along with the gunnery officer they started to swim, but the tides were against them and they were lucky enough to be picked up during the night. The almost totally submerged boat now contained myself, L. S. Wilden, L. S. Spencer, P. O. Huntley, a Malay called Tel, and an unknown soldier. P.O. Huntley died as a result of his wounds and the soldier was lost overboard. L. S. Spencer set off to swim ashore but was unsuccessful and was picked up extremely exhausted.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Only 3 of us were now left, myself, L. S. Wilden and the Malayan, so we decided to let the boat drift to wherever the tide would take her. As luck would have it, another partly submerged boat drifted toward us, just before dark. We swam towards it and found it was a Naval Whaler, split down the centre, but preferable because it had oars and sail. We boarded her, rigged her for sailing, and had just picked out a sight of land to sail for when we heard yells and shouts. They came from 2 rafts we hadn’t previously seen – on one raft there were 3 men, on the other 4 men. They were also survivors from the Li Wo, and we were glad to find that they had a tin of biscuits with them. I could only let a few on board the whaler and then we took the rafts in tow. We were helped by the strong wind which sprang up, but the boat was submerged up to the gunwhale so we were actually sitting in water all the time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]During the night a Jap patrol boat approached and shone her searchlight on us, but because we had dropped over the lee side they did not detect us.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My aim was to try to reach the land ahead which I knew to be Sumatra, but the tides were so strong that we could only drift with them. At about 2am we sighted land straight ahead so I put 6 men on the oars and we started rowing for our lives. We were still rowing 4 hours later but I knew we were getting nearer to the shore. We went ashore several hours later on Banka Island, along with a Jap invasion party who seemed to ignore us until later when we were taken prisoner – but that’s another story![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

7. OpanaPointer

(Further message from the source of above.)

Oh by the way, here's a brief description of Lt Cmdr Wilkinson, with a photo.

Brief Account Of Action With Photo

Lt Cmdr Wilkinson's Victoria Cross is now on display at the Imperial War Museum.

As an aside, another website carrying the story of HMS Li Wo is this one, devoted to the preservation of the memory of Far East prisoners of war. The COFEPOW page on HMS Li Wo is here. Their remembrance page for FEPOWs is here.

The local memorial at Victoria Park, about 15 minutes' cycling time from my home, is depicted in this photo, and a brief mention of him can be found on the Victoria Cross Website. More can be found on the Royal Naval Reserve pages here.