Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Flak Tower

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Andason, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Andason

Andason Member

Hi

Did the Allies ever make an airborne attack on any of the flak towers?

2. stewy

stewy Member

Hi there,do you mean the Seelow heights Flak towers near Berlin? Stewy

3. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

There were Flak towers built in many Geman cities, AFAIK they were never directly targetted for attack though some may have been hit during the air raids.

4. Andason

Andason Member

Yes they are the ones built around berlin. Thank you.

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

No, I'm sure they didn't. The only aircraft which could have carried out an attack on such a tiny target would have been the Mosquito at low-level- which would have been a pointless exercise against buildings which were designed to withstand direct hits from the heaviest bombs.

6. Andason

Andason Member

What I meant is did they ever have airborne TROOPS drop on to any of the towers?

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

No they did not as the Flak Towers with the heavier 12.8cm cannons - twins each 4 per tower were located in downtown centres of industry/civilization. the tall strong structures were used as bomb shelters

the Berlin flak towers were even able to lower their twin "heavys' and bombard forward Soviet units entering in the city in 45.

8. stewy

stewy Member

I'm off to Berlin again shortly,to see my mate i met through this hobby & this time were're off to Seelow Heights for a day. I'll post pics when i've been:). Stewy

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

expect the Flaktürme in Berlin to be oversized blobs. want to see the fields continue heading east and north of Berlin Stew you might be surprised what you may come across though through Soviet occupation they pretty much have cleaned the countryside clear except for the ugly huge monuments to their victories

10. stewy

stewy Member

My friend can also get access to other "stuff" not accessable to the public. Last time i was there it wasn't the weekend,so i was out of luck. I know Seelow's not now what it/they were but we'll make a day of it as i'm sure we can find a pub or two,to discover as well. Last time i went to the Reichstag & he took me to the interesting stuff in the city,Templehoff etc. Stewy

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

like I said go to the out of the way places unless you find a museum. during the week is best if places are open ....

wish I had the time to go back to Ebenrode in Ost Preußia, what a hideous battle the first that the Soviets really found out that entering Germany was not going to be an easy nut to crack. the marshes are full of rusting metal crap laid out during and after the war.