Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

World War II 349th Troop Carrier Wing Reunion

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by texson66, Sep 20, 2009.

1. texson66

texson66 Ace

2. wstoutamire

wstoutamire recruit

texson66,

I am the grandson of Betsy Stoutamire, mentioned in this article, and have been attending these reunions since my grandfather's passing in 2003. If there is anything you would like to know about the 349th, please feel free to ask.

I do have to say... It is unfortunate, but the woman who wrote this article completely botched most of the stories. I have heard them many times, and was there for most of the two hour interview (which we have on tape), and I can say for sure that she hardly got any of her facts straight.

- When my grandfather landed in Copenhagen, piloting the first American plane to touch down there, the Germans had already surrendered. They were carrying their guns, but the fighting was over. They were also buzzed only once, as they landed... not on multiple occassions.
    - The 311th was detached and sent to the Pacific, but the 349th TCG was not formed until well after Pearl Harbor... there was no immediate relation between the two.
    - Eisenhower didn't decide to drop the bomb.... We told her Truman, she made it up.
    - She also managed to misidentify some of the vets, including mixing up their postwar employment.

It is unfortunate that an opportunity to honor these men was partially botched by a terrible job of journalism.

3. texson66

texson66 Ace

Well, I'm not sure they teach real journalism anymore anway. Thanks for your comments; it is sad that a reporter probably even with a tape recorder couldn't get it right. Sad.

LOL! I didnt notice that she attributed the republican president to be and then ETO commander to decide to drop the A bomb in the Pacific! Thanks for highlighting that one!:cool:

4. Jim Gaulke Jr.

Jim Gaulke Jr. recruit

My father served in the 349th. Are there any reunions planned?

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member