2 replies to this topic

#1 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,300 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

Jewish groups condemned Thursday a plan by authorities in the Ukrainian capital to build a hotel on what a leading scholar said was a killing field in the Babi Yar massacre, a horrific chapter of the Holocaust.

The controversy erupted days before the 68th anniversary of the killing of more than 30,000 Jews in late September 1941 at Babi Yar, a ravine that became choked with the bodies of victims shot at its edges.

Legislators loyal to Kiev mayor Leonid Chernovetsky approved a plan last week to build dozens of hotels in the city over the next decade, including one across the street from a monument commemorating the victims.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center in Israel decried the plan, saying it disrespected the dead and demonstrated Ukrainian authorities' reluctance to investigate wartime collaboration with the Nazis.

Ukraine: hotel plan for Nazi killing field opposed - Yahoo! News
  • Skipper likes this
Posted Image

#2 Mehar

Mehar

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:44 AM

The article isn't very clear, how sure are they about this location being the place where the massacre took place? If the evidence is pretty clear, I think they should move the hotel elsewhere.

Although after Walmart was successfully able to build a store right next to sacred Mayan ruins, I've lost faith in human reasoning.

#3 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 21,877 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:50 AM

Same for me. Maybe they could at least put a memorial plaque? This way the massacre would not be forgotten and the hotel could be built.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users