Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2009 'Mossie' gathering....

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Martin Bull, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

you are attending correct Martin ?

3. Martin Bull

It's a tough one as I have family commitments. However - I am quite determined to get up to the Museum somehow, maybe early in the morning....

This is something not to be missed ! :)

4. Martin Bull

Well, I promised to get there somehow, and I did it....

I was there very early to help set up and move aircraft around, but the queue of enthusiasts ( some of whom had travelled considerable distances ) were already gathering outside the gate...

[​IMG]

Inside the hangar, there was an amusing 'role reversal' as Museum member and author Ian Thirsk was surprised to be asked to sign a copy of his book for Ken Tempest DFC ( ex 139 Squadron ) and his wife...

[​IMG]

I really wanted to be able to have a few words with Squadron Leader Tom Bennett DFM, the only surviving member of 617 ( 'Dambuster' ) Squadron's Mosquito low-level marker crews. My wish was granted - he was one of the first veterans to arrive and I had the privilege of a few minutes' conversation. Here he is....

[​IMG]

And one has to keep in mind that here he is again, back then in 1944.....

[​IMG]

..on the left, with his pilot Gerry Fawke and their Mosquito FBVI.

Good to see a complete Mossie crew ; Sqn Ldr Joe Patient DFC in the centre and, on the right, Flt. Lt George Cash DFM who flew together in 139 Squadron.....

[​IMG]

George Cash is famous for later having baled out of a stricken Mossie directly over Berlin.

Another famous Mossie squadron was 487 ( RNZAF ) , here represented by Flt. Lt. Doug Chapman...

[​IMG]

In all, there were 30 veterans present, and a huge number of people queuing for signatures. Other well-known 'aviation personalities' were there, including aviation artist Nicolas Trudgian ( on the right )....

[​IMG]

So, another wonderful signing event at the Mossie Museum, and for the second year in perfect weather - the sun shining in all day through the hangar doors over a familiar silhouette...

[​IMG]

Great stuff.

Kai-Petri and Erich like this.
  5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

super deal Martin glad you were able to attend, poor Nick looks like hell.......too much stress in his life

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Wow! In the right place at the right time, Martin!!! Great pics, thanx!!

7. Martin Bull

It's an effort worth making - it really is now very apparent that we won't be privileged to be in the company of such men for too much longer.