Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New NHL Season

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by stewy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. stewy

stewy Member

Right,i need help here. The new NHL season's starting & as a Brit that likes ice hockey. I'm asking you folks across the pond who i should support this season. Last year onthe toss of a coin between Detroit & San Jose,San Jose caame out tops. Who (& why) should i go for this season? Stewy

2. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

You should try and form some loyalty you bandwagoner!!! Just kiddin...Pittsburgh is going to be tough again this year, Detroit will be too. I'm ready for an exciting season!!

3. stewy

stewy Member

:D I'm drawn to dare i say it,Montreal:rolleyes:. Only really due to Koivu's playing for them this season. I was in Suomi (Finland) in Nov '04 & went to the Hartwall arena to see Sweden,Soumi,Russia & Cech Rep play. Awesome! Koivu's old man was manager of the national team then. I met him in the breakfast room one morning (bit of a claim to fame there:cool:). I've followed NHL in as much as is possible from the U.K. since the early '90's. Any more suggestions greatly received. Wanna narrow it to two. Then it's Heads or Tails again. Bet all you NHL fans over there think i'm shallow:D. Stewy

macrusk likes this.
  4. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Unfortunately, Koivu is no longer with Montreal. He is with the Anaheim Ducks.
    Saku Koivu signs with Ducks

Maybe it's because I grew up watching with my Dad as a kid, but I recommend one of the original six because their fan loyalty is strong and the tradition they bring to the game is something you can give your own allegiance. While it has been awhile, Montreal still holds the record for the most Stanley Cups. Most Stanley Cups by team - NHL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm a die hard Flyers fan. Had season tickets from '73 to '83 (including attending the 74 Cup winning game). I rarely miss a game on TV and have high hopes for the upcoming season. Pronger might be a difference maker.:hockeypuck:

6. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

My question is... Are the leafs going to suck this season too???
    They spend more time playing golf than they do hockey!!

Why must you bring shame to Ontario!!! why???

7. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Sunny...yes the Leafs are going to suck this season. It's there thing. Just like Detroit bringing disappointment with them to the playoffs. You can almost count on it.

8. applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe Member

Ducks and the Red Wings all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I just don't understand the appeal of hockey. . . .

10. LRusso216

Are you sure you're from Massachusetts? I thought hockey was akin to religion in Boston.

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Go Red Wangs!

How's that from a Southerner who likes hockey?

12. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

Ohhh, David! If you come to Canada for a visit sometime, keep that one under your hat!

The appeal for me - when I do watch - is a fast and clean game, where I witness eye/hand coordination combined with the dexterity of staying on their feet (or getting back up after a hard check) when on a pair blades, and the sheer physical stamina required.

Can't stand players who dive, or who do cheap hits.

13. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Michelle,

There is an amazing feeling of a live Hockey game... I attended the Avs/Sharks game last Thursday night. I hadn't been to an NHL game for quite sometime, but wanted to make this one. It happened to be Joe Sakic's last appearance, and retirement celebration. Right around the time Sakic and fellow teammates left Quebec (Nordiques) for Denver Colorado, is when I started watching Hockey... He is a big reason for my newly found interest in the game, and for that I'm thankful. Look forward each year to the new season, and yelling from the seats ;):)

Go Colorado Avalanche!!

Avs 5 Sharks 2

Jem

14. stewy

stewy Member

Right folks,post your teams. I'll narrow it to two & toss a coin on 'em. Seems the best way for a non-affiliated Brit to choose. Whether they're long shots or dead certs. I just wanna support a team again this season. Makes for better viewing from this side of the pond:). Stewy

15. LRusso216

Flyers are 2-0. Trounced New Jersey 5-2 last night. Pronger is amazing.

16. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

My thoughts when watching the news: "Here we go , the clash between Montreal and Toronto fans starts another year!":D:D:D:D

17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Anaheim should have a good group together. And especially 2nd line-up with Koivu-Selänne together. They should do well , although the beginning has been a bit slow for them.

Personally I like Ovechkin alot, and it´s incredible how well he´s doing already....

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ovetshkin Ovetshkin Ovetshkin... wonder if he can beat Gretzky´s record of goals for one season. Wasn´t it 92 goals...?

19. Gross Deutschland

Gross Deutschland Member

I doubt anyone will be breaking that anytime soon. As good as Ovechkin is, 92 goals is ridiculous.

My Habs are off to a disapointing start, I'm not sure what the GM is thinking, letting all those key players go.