Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Greetings from Michigan Mom

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Blue Star Mom, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Blue Star Mom

Blue Star Mom recruit

1. Your Name: Lynne - Blue Star Mom, USMC Son
    2. Age: How old are you? 49
    3. Origins: Where are you from? Mid Michigan
    4. Specifics: What areas of WWII are you interested in? What would you like to know more about? P-39, Pilot Gilbert Oxley
    7. Miscellaneous: Anything else you'd like to share with us? I am president of a Blue Star Mothers Of America Chapter. We were named after Gilbert Oxley. There is a memorial in Flint with his name. I have found that he is buried in Arlington. We are seeking any information on Mr. Oxley. Hope you can help:)
    Proud Mom
    On 27 July 1942, the aircraft of the 35th Fighter Squadron of the 8th Fighter Group, USAAF, took off to fly from Woodstock airfield to the Weir Airfield in Townsville, which was normally a 20 minute flight. Hervey Carpenter of the 35th Squadron stated that 2nd Lieutenant Gilbert L. Oxley (0-428558) took off in the first P-39 Airacobra, but soon lost power and fell into the gum trees near the Woodstock airfield and crashed and burnt. Oxley, who had also spent some time in the 80th Fighter Squadron, died in this tragic accident.

2. applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe Member

Hello,Lynne. Welcome to the forums. As you may have already noted by reviewing the forums, there is a great deal of expertise here. I am confident that someone may be able to help you.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

welcome lynne..

4. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Welcome! I suggest you post your query in the Information Request or Genealogical Research sections of the forum. More traffic to those areas will help to ensure a more complete response from your fellow Rogues.

Cheers!

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Welcome to this site. Also, not only do good people come from michegan, but good war stories as well as Militaria ;-)) Also, the first gal I ever went out with that I seriously considered marrying-came from Grayling, Michegan ;-))

6. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us and good luck with your research. Happy posting.

7. Blue Star Mom

Blue Star Mom recruit

Thank you for the welcomes! I appreciate it!
    I will follow your advice and post in another area.
    We michigan girls are pretty down to earth! I have a friend who lives in Grayling. Beautiful up there. I am about 2 hours south. Unfortunalty Fall is upon us here in the Great Lakes. Summer is way tooooo short for me!
    Lynne

8. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Hello and welcome to the forum!

9. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Welcome and great first post.

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Lynne, that would be outstanding if we know the same person. I actually knew two gals from Grayling-one was just a friend though-and your correct, she too was pretty down to earth and was great fun to be with. ;-)) Sadly, I lost contact with both of them many years ago. One back about 1986 and the other around 1990.

11. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Hi, Lynne. A belated welcome to a fine forum. You've already been exposed to some of the finer Rogues on the site. Post often and we'll do our best to answer your questions, but feel free to opine or suggest things on your own.

12. Blue Star Mom

Blue Star Mom recruit

Thank you again! I am still searching for info on Mr. Oxley. Finally made it to the National Archives. I have more news on the Oxley's I will post in another thread.
    Evans, My friend is a Eagles member and knows many people in Grayling. I can steer you in her direction or ask about someone if you would like to give me the info.
    Thanks!
    Lynne

C.Evans likes this.
  13. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Lynne,

Glad you joined us! Good luck on your search ;):)

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Lynne, that would be mos kind of you to do so. I'd love to find out what happened to both Patti and Misty ;-))

Thake care and Cheers-_Carl.

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome I hope you'll find the info you are looking for