#1 billabbott

billabbott

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hi, folks!
My name is Bill Abbott, Bill to my friends.I respect people inventing or re-inventing themselves with a new name, but keeping one personality organized is about all I can manage. And I'm old enough to remember when having a listed phone number and going by one name was, you know, sorta normal. So that's how I play it.

I'm 53, born in '56, and I've been interested in WWII and other history since about age 3 1/2. Nice thing about being a Naval dependent most of my childhood was that we moved every 1 to 3 years and so I can pretty accurately pin down the age things happened by where I was... I saw Plymouth Rock and the USS Constitution and Paul Revere's house the year we lived in Hingham, MA, '60-61. The next year I started reading "Naval Institute Procedings" along with "National Geographic" and "Life", the magazines usually around the house, and I was hooked.

I was born in San Francisco. My mom was a Registered Nurse and my dad was working for Bechtel as an engineer, before returning to the Navy for a regular commission and a career in the guided missile programs. By the time I remember anything we were living in Marina, CA, and he was at the Naval Post-Graduate School in Monterey.

I've been generally interested in naval history, and picked up interest in other facets from reading. What really interests me these days, no particular order, are the Battle of Britian and the night bombing battles that followed, US Navy activities world wide, but particularly aircraft, aircraft carriers, submarines and destroyers, the 7th Division, U.S. Army, in which my late father in law served.

That's enough probably too much!

CHEERS!

Bill

5. Hobbies: What sort of Hobbies do you have? Are any related to World War II? Wargaming? Video-games? Memorabilia? Visiting historic sites?
6. Other: What other time periods are you interested in? Specific eras? Why?
7. Miscellaneous: Anything else you'd like to share with us?

#2 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,079 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:49 PM

Welcome aboard, Bill. There should be plenty around to interest you, and there are plenty of folk who share your interests. Use the Search function, and post often.

image001.png

Lou

#3 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

welcome to the forum bill...

#4 JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hello Bill, welcome to the forum!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If you want peace work for justice" -Pope Paul VI

Jon

#5 applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hi Bill...is that Oakland, CA or Michigan? If California, I'm down here halfway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas myself. Welcome to the forums.

#6 jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2

Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

A pleasure to have you with us Bill... make yourself at home, and post away!

Mark

#7 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us. Happy posting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 SymphonicPoet

SymphonicPoet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Welcome aboard. Always nice to see a Navy guy about. And I can respect the listed number and regular old name. My primary e-mail david_ackerman@yahoo.com, is just my name. And my number is still listed. Not sure why I chose to use the nick here. Maybe I've been hanging about too many places where you can't use your name. Glad this isn't one of them.

Anyway, again, good to meet you and welcome aboard.

Sincerely,
David.

#9 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

Hello, Bill, and welcome to this fine place! I am sure you will enjoy your time here. Many fine folk and many great discussions, so jump right in!

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users