Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

American Axis

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by dan_wetherell, Oct 23, 2009.

1. dan_wetherell

dan_wetherell Member

Since reading the book American Axis by Max Wallace I've been fascinated with the idea of prominent Americans supporting the Nazi regime. I've read one or two other books but if anyone could recommend any other reading material (Good reading material that is lol) dealing with American Nazi supporters or in fact British Nazis it would be very much appreciated.

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

You might want to see if you can pick up a copy of Wall Street & The Rise of Hitler by Anthony Sutton.

It can also be read online at:

WALL STREET AND THE RISE OF HITLER, by Antony C. Sutton

There is quite a bit of eye-opening data in there, but it should also be remembered that many of these men and companies didn't so much "support" the Nazis as they just made money. That they did so through and with the Nazis isn't always support really, just pragmatic profit making. Ford is the exception, he was as stauchly anti-Semetic as Hitler in some ways.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

He closed the anti-Semitic Dearborn Independent in 1927 and stated that he had been unaware of the content of the editorials that bore his byline. Whether you believe him or not is a matter of taste.

4. applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe Member

I don't know if this meets your criteria but you should try and find some literature on Joseph Kennedy Sr., father of John F., Robert, et. al. Mr. Kennedy was apparently pretty much pro-Nazi/pro-Hitler and was not shy about vocalizing his feelings, even when he was Ambassador to Great Britain during 1938-1940. In fact, he was apparently widely disparaged in British government circles as a defeatist. He submitted his resignation of his ambassadorial post in late 1940. I suspect that FDR was pressured by Churchill to recall him and replace him with a more supportive pro-British functionary.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

He was canned by FDR; not asked for his resignation, and probably not at the instigation of Churchill. Directly after he made one of his "appeasement" statements, and it was carried in a local Boston newspaper, FDR called him to the oval office and fired him. This was after Churchill took the PM's position, but before he and FDR became as close as they did, BTW. Kennedy wasn't so much pro-Hitler as he was anti-war. He had two sons of service age at the time, and another one on the way. Joe Jr., John, and Robert.

In 1938, Roosevelt appointed Kennedy as the United States Ambassador to Britain. Prior to the bombing of Britain in 1940, Kennedy had clashed with Winston Churchill?who had opposed efforts to negotiate a compromise with Hitler. Also, without authorization from President Roosevelt, Kennedy supported Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain's policy of appeasement.

In 1938, as the Nazi persecution of Jews intensified, Kennedy attempted?again without FDR’s approval?to obtain an audience with Adolf Hitler. In September 1940, shortly before World War II broke out, Kennedy?once again without presidential approval?sought to negotiate personally with Hitler.

On November 10, 1940 Kennedy told the Boston
    Sunday Globe that "Democracy is finished in England. It may be here…" It isn't that [Britain is] fighting for democracy. That's the bunk. She's fighting for self-preservation, just as we will if it comes to us...I know more about the European situation than anybody else, and it's up to me to see that the country gets it."

When President Roosevelt read Kennedy’s quotes he recalled him from Britain, and ordered him to resign or be fired. After Kennedy left the oval office, FDR reportedly told the Secret Service: "Never let that son of a bitch in here again."

See:

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/profiles-in-treason-joseph-kennedy-tyler-kent-and-scott-mcclellan/

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I choose NOT to believe him, since he sent Hitler a 20,000 RM "birthday gift", in gold through the Swedes and the Swiss. He "missed his gift" to Hitler in April of 1945, the only time.

He (Ford) also sent the Nazi party handguns, holsters, and ammunition in the early thirties.