• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Becca_78

Becca_78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:16 AM

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums. I'm trying to learn more about my grandfather's service in the U.S. Army in WWII. According to his paperwork, he was drafted in January of 1945 and stationed at Fort Bragg. He completed his training at Fort Wheeler in Georgia.

The papers also said he was a member of the 162nd Antiaircraft Operations Detachment. He arrived in Japan, I think, on July 4th 1945. He said that they were on guard duty and they cleaned up after the atomic bombing. He left in September of 1946.

I'm trying to fill in some of the gaps and maybe get into contact with some others that served with him or their families.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Edited by Becca_78, 25 October 2009 - 02:22 AM.

#2 JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:23 AM

Hello Rebecca and welcome to the forum. Post up a new thread about your grandfather here:

Military Service Record & Genealogical Research - World War II Forums

Good luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If you want peace work for justice" -Pope Paul VI

Jon

#3 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,226 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums. I'm trying to learn more about my grandfather's service in the U.S. Army in WWII. According to his paperwork, he was drafted in January of 1945 and stationed at Fort Bragg. He completed his training at Fort Wheeler in Georgia.

The papers also said he was a member of the 162nd Antiaircraft Operations Detachment. He arrived in Japan, I think, on July 4th 1945. He said that they were on guard duty and they cleaned up after the atomic bombing. He left in September of 1946.

I'm trying to fill in some of the gaps and maybe get into contact with some others that served with him or their families.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Welcome Rebecca. Post any of his papers for us to look at, maybe we help you better.

I am fairly certain, though, that he was not in Japan in July of 1945, as we were still very much at war with them at that time. They did not surrender until the next month and it was only then that US forces began to enter Japan.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#4 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 03:54 AM

Welcome, Rebecca! Good luck with your search...this will be the place to find out how to go about getting all your info you desire.
Kicking up dust since 1978

#5 dgmitchell

dgmitchell

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:32 AM

Welcome, Rebecca! This is a fine place and I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

Cheers!

#6 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 21,590 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Welcome Rebecca, Ihope you'll find some useful information here.

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#7 jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Rebecca,

Greetings from Denver, wishing you all the best in your search ;):)

Jem
I approached everything, my job, my family, my romances, with intensity... Gene Tierney
http://www.photobyphotographer.com

#8 applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:04 AM

Hi Rebecca...welcome to the forums. Good luck with your research.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users