• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Buten42

Buten42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:59 AM

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question, so guess it's just me. I can't seem to figure out how to quote just part of someones post. When I highlight the sentence I want and click "Quote" I always get the entire post. Thanks for the help.

#2 formerjughead

formerjughead

The Cooler King

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

I am sure there is a short cut but the way I do it is:

Open another browser window and cut and paste from one to the other that way you can use several posts in the same reply. Be sure and copy the portion with the member's name, you are quoting each time you you cut and paste; that way when you click on it, it will refer to the original post you are referencing.

Another way is to use [ ] around the word "quote" at the beginning and use "/quote" at the end it will look like this:

blah blah blah blah

hope that helps,

Brad

#3 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,078 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

Click on the Quote button, then in your post, just delete the unwanted text. That way, you also get the name of the person whom you are quoting.

image001.png

Lou

#4 Von Poop

Von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:45 PM

And if one wishes to appear as mildly mad - click the 'multi off/on' button in multiple posts - and then click 'quote' as well on the last post to get involved in point by point refutation - often (but I should perhaps add, not exclusively, as it has it's legitimate role) a tactic of the terminally attacked/beaten/wrong/upset :D

Eg:

click

How dare you!

click

I never said that!

Click

You're misrepresenting me!

Etc.

~A
  • formerjughead likes this

#5 formerjughead

formerjughead

The Cooler King

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

And if one wishes to appear as mildly mad - click the 'multi off/on' button in multiple posts - and then click 'quote' as well on the last post to get involved in point by point refutation - often (but I should perhaps add, not exclusively, as it has it's legitimate role) a tactic of the terminally attacked/beaten/wrong/upset :D

......~A

I always wondered how that feature worked.
the beauty of my style of thread quoting allows you to go to a persons previous post in another thread and quote that as well

eg:

Me too... :shifty:
We still won't tell them where the WMDs are though... or aren't... or ever were... Or weren't.

Watch out for men with a rope...

~A

#6 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

I always wondered how that feature worked.
the beauty of my style of thread quoting allows you to go to a persons previous post in another thread and quote that as well

eg:

Actually Jugs you can do that as well. Simply click quote, then exit back to the main page, find the thread you wish to post in and click post reply. Just under the window it will tell you that "you quoted a post that is not part of the thread, would you like to quote that post?"

Easy as pie right?
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#7 formerjughead

formerjughead

The Cooler King

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

Actually Jugs you can do that as well. Simply click quote, then exit back to the main page, find the thread you wish to post in and click post reply. Just under the window it will tell you that "you quoted a post that is not part of the thread, would you like to quote that post?"

Easy as pie right?

is that not the same thing as I describe here? or are my directions alll jacked up?

I am sure there is a short cut but the way I do it is:

Open another browser window and cut and paste from one to the other that way you can use several posts in the same reply. Be sure and copy the portion with the member's name, you are quoting each time you you cut and paste; that way when you click on it, it will refer to the original post you are referencing.

Brad

#8 Buten42

Buten42

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

My cup runnith over-thank you all. I'm an old pipefitter-- we go through a five year apprenticeship to learn how to do things, than spend the rest of our lives learning how to do it the easy way. Think it should work with this :-)

#9 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

is that not the same thing as I describe here? or are my directions alll jacked up?

Nope. They are the same thing essentially. Just thought the water wasn't muddy enough:D
  • formerjughead likes this
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#10 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,669 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

Way to go,

Yall

did

a

Good

Job

Helping

Buten,

Thanks

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#11 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:30 AM

You just gave me a seizure
Kicking up dust since 1978

#12 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,474 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:01 AM

The Gieco caveman commercials come to mind right about now....

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#13 KrazyDimondRX

KrazyDimondRX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:30 AM

My cup runnith over-thank you all. I'm an old pipefitter-

- we go through a five year apprenticeship to learn how to do things, than spend the rest of our lives learning how to do it the easy way. Think it should work with this :-)

Just trying my new skills... great quote .It cracked me up, i know what u mean:D
... Would you exchange, a walk on part in a war, for a lead role in a cage? ...

#14 scipio

scipio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:40 PM

Nope - I'm a dope.

i still can't work out how to get the person's name included in the quote.

Quietly and slowly in words of one syllable can U explain?

#15 KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Nope - I'm a dope.

Push the quote button and it's included automatically.   Usually though, if you're just responding to the previous post you don't really need to include the name.  Just highlight the text you want, right-click and choose copy, then-right click in your reply box and choose paste.

A Kodiak Bear Mauling (shameless plug): http://www.amazon.co...tmm_pap_title_0

#16 scipio

scipio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Usually though, if you're just responding to the previous post you don't really need to include the name.  Just highlight the text you want, right-click and choose copy, then-right click in your reply box and choose pa

This bit I can do.

However 

Push the quote button and it's included automatically.   

Thanks for trying to educate me Kodiak but I still fail! 

#17 KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

I dunno...    Are you using Internet Exploder?   Try downloading Firefox.

A Kodiak Bear Mauling (shameless plug): http://www.amazon.co...tmm_pap_title_0

#18 TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

The [quote] previous post fragment [/UNQUOTE] trick does not work fir me since the software switch. ........

Possibly a good thing as their most common use is point by point rebuttal which is not fun. But is there an alternative ?

Possible issue is that while I did type the first QUOTE in capitals but some stupid "I know better than you" software decided it had to be lower case.

Truth is the first victim of conflict

#19 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • 6,163 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

I use the quote button then copy the quote and paste it below the first quote and repeat as needed.  Then edit out the undesired parts in the first quote and respond to that.  Again repeat as needed.

#20 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

The [quote] previous post fragment [/UNQUOTE] trick does not work fir me since the software switch. ........

Possibly a good thing as their most common use is point by point rebuttal which is not fun. But is there an alternative ?

Possible issue is that while I did type the first QUOTE in capitals but some stupid "I know better than you" software decided it had to be lower case.

it won't work using /unquote...

use /quote

The code is note case sensitive so it will work even if you use QuOtE & /qUoTe

but you do have to use the proper "code" words placed within [ ].

#21 TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

it won't work using /unquote...

Thanks, I did know that, evidently my typo rate has gotten so bad I can't even write a matched tag pair, I no longer write code for a living but .... :shiner:

on the other hand adding the authors's name in the opening tag still doesn't work for me

Nel mezzo del cammin di nosta vita

A rose by any other name 

Ate the poet' s names I put after QUOTE inside the openng [ ] that used to work with VBulletin

Truth is the first victim of conflict

#22 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

yeah, adding a member's name no longer works when added after QUOTE.  While Invision appears to use some form of BBCode, that particular feature does not seem to be active here.

I hit the Quote button to start and edit out the bits I don't want, and if I need to quote from the same post, use the MultiQuote button and edit out the bits I don't want.  Then repeat as necessary.

#23 green slime

green slime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Nope - I'm a dope.

Push the quote button and it's included automatically.   Usually though, if you're just responding to the previous post you don't really need to include the name.  Just highlight the text you want, right-click and choose copy, then-right click in your reply box and choose paste.

Thank God it wasn't just me.

#24 mcoffee

mcoffee

Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

I tried to use the Quote button today and it didn't work (IE ver 11).  Just dumped me into the reply window without included the post I was trying to quote.  Multiquote did the same thing.  Never had that problem before.  Went to Chrome and it worked from there.

Illegitimis non carborundum

#25 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,669 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Quoting does not work with Internet Exploder 11, nor does cutting and pasting.  If you need to quote, etc, you'll have to use a brand X web browser.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users