1659 replies to this topic

#1 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:37 AM

Today marks the 234th birthday of the founding of the USMC. To all current or former Marines, Happy Birthday.

image001.png

Lou

#2 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:12 AM

Today, March 6th is the day that the Alamo fell, along with an estimated 260 defenders. Keep this event in mind friends. Those who fought and died there had determination and courage to fight and die for what they believed was worth making the ultimate sacrifice for. Do you have that in you? I'd like to say that I do, but we will never know that for sure until the opportunity is thrust upon us. Remember the Alamo boys.
  • PzJgr and texson66 like this

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#3 formerjughead

formerjughead

The Cooler King

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

Another battle based on a lack of Ice Cream
  • Radar4077 likes this

#4 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

You and your ice cream theories....

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#5 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,595 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:19 AM

And fortified with alcohol.

Happiness is nice but it can't buy money.

Kilroy_Was_Here_by_catluvr2.gif

#6 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,681 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

You just gotta explain that one sunshine.....Didnt half the defenders originate from Ireland or is that an urban myth?

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#7 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

there you go urqh, some stats for you, and yes! your on the ball on that fact..ray..

The Alamo Forum

#8 Hilts

Hilts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Yeah! They even had John Wayne and still lost...........! :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Carve Her Name With Pride

#9 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:30 AM

And fortified with alcohol.

You've been hanging around formerjughead too long....

#10 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

I just realized something, the seventh anniversary of the start of the Iraq War dawned with very little notice in the media, despite the huge (and ongoing) costs of the war, not the least of which are the nearly 4,400 dead US military personnel. March 30th.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#11 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,595 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:04 AM

Yep, How quickly they forget IF WE LET THEM. You also haven't heard much about illegal immigration lately either. Or the bank bailouts. Car bailouts, etc:
Maybe those who read this could take the time to click on the link below. Nearly every day the Pentagon announces another Soldier killed in the line of duty.
http://www.defense.gov/releases/

Edited by Biak, 31 March 2010 - 02:28 AM.

#12 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,595 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:22 AM

You've been hanging around formerjughead too long....

Actually urgh brought it up:

You just gotta explain that one sunshine.....Didn't half the defenders originate from Ireland or is that an urban myth?

Not that I'm insinuating anything about the Irish.

#13 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,911 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:27 AM

I'm left to wonder if the lack of media notice of the anniversary is a result of them not wanting to call attention to ignored campaign promises to have the US forces out of Iraq within 16 months of the inauguration of our latest head of the Executive Branch of the Federal government.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#14 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

Well seems like everyone there was from someplace else, but when it came down to it, they were all Texans....

#15 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,595 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:51 AM

With all due respect Slip' you being an Admin. and everything, but it could also be a way of not mentioning the two main names that got us into the place in the beginning. Just so we don't get this thread kicked over to The Stump I'll add a little picture.
That's our flag flying over the US Embassy after flying over my yard on my flagpole and send to Iraq. It also flew to various villages, towns and cities in Iraq on Blackhawks, C-130's among others. I'm most proud that it was carried by a friend for several months before he personally handed it back to me. By the Grace of God he returned home safe, but far too many haven't.

Attached Files

• brndirt1 likes this

#16 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,595 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:03 AM

God I hope not. Not that there's anything wrong with Texas or anything, just too gosh darn hot down there. We moseyed through on a nice two lane highway once and saw a sign for a Scenic Overlook and decided to stop for a spell. Beautiful vista's in all directions and when we turned into the parking spaces the "overlook" all one could see was a big ol' cattle yard. That thing musta' gone for miles and it was not what one would call conducive to a 'picnic setting' sitting there staring at 10's of thousands of 'burger-on-the-hoof'.

#17 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:38 AM

Up wind or down wind?

#18 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,595 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:37 PM

Due to the 100 degree temp, calm wind and proximity (75 yards away) didn't much matter :) Felt like we were right in the middle of all that beef. Now that I think about it, it could have been Oklahoma. Right on the border?

#19 macrusk

macrusk

Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

End of an Era - Veterans Affairs Canada

"The country has recently shared an important historical moment. On February 18, 2010, John "Jack" Babcock, Canada's last known Veteran of the First World War passed away. This event marks the end of an era in Canada’s military history.

When war broke out in 1914, Canada’s population was less than eight million people. Despite this, more than 650,000 Canadians and Newfoundlanders served during the First World War. Canadian soldiers braved tremendous assaults along the western front. Soldiers fought for weeks in knee-deep mud, battling through razor-sharp barbed wire and crippling shrapnel—all while enduring the cold and wet, in crowded and dirty trenches.

We must remember the war-time sacrifice and achievements of our First World War service men and women—and the considerable cost of human life. More than 170,000 were injured and more than 68,000 lost their lives.
We are forever indebted to those who served for our country during the First World War and we must pay tribute to them by remembering their contributions to Canada. As a country we feel a tremendous loss. There are no longer any Veterans to share their personal memories of what it was like to have served for Canada during the First World War. It is up to us to learn about Canada’s contribution to the First World War—about how that conflict shaped the country we live in today. It is up to us to teach ourselves and our children about our past, so we can ensure we have learned all we can for the future. It is up to us to pass the torch of remembrance.

The Government of Canada will hold a national commemorative ceremony honouring all of Canada's First World War service men and women to pay tribute to their achievements and contributions. The ceremony will be held on "Vimy Ridge Day," Friday, April 9, 2010 in Ottawa at the National War Memorial-a symbol of the sacrifices of all Canadians who have served Canada in times of war in the cause of peace and freedom.

A number of other significant ceremonies of remembrance will be held on Friday, April 9 in locations across Canada and in our Allied nations of France and England. These will include international commemorative ceremonies that will take place at both the Canadian National Vimy Memorial, in France and at the Canada Memorial at Green Park, in London, England. In addition to this, some provinces and territories plan to conduct a commemorative ceremony in their respective capitals."

Additional links about WWI at this Veterans Affairs Canada page.

I am still amazed to think that I will be seeing the Vimy Memorial in France on May 1st.
  • Slipdigit likes this
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Spaniard

Spaniard

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

This is the end of an era, even though your numbers on Casualties and KIA are debatable Some say it's much higher, or lower. No matter what the count, the Price was High, which left many survivors after the Great War Sociologically Scarred for life, and the government dismissed them. Just like battle fatigue was considered a Sign of cowardness, and somewhere even Shot stone cold dead by their own Superiors because they broke down and refused to fight.

The victory of Passchendaele Ridge in the autumn of 1917 alone cost 16,000 Canadian casualties.

The Battle of the Somme claimed 24,029 Canadian casualties.

British launched the assault which resulted in the largest massacre of British forces - over 57,550 casualties in one day. Among them were 732 men from the 1st Newfoundland Regiment ; of the 801 men of the Newfoundland Regiment, only 68 men answered the regimental roll call after the attack. 255 were dead, 386 were wounded, and 91 were listed as missing. Every officer who had gone over the top was either wounded or dead. On the day that the British forces suffered their worst losses in history, the 1st Newfoundland Regiment also suffered its worst loss in its history.

Vimy The Canadian corps had suffered 10,602 casualties; 3,598 killed and 7,004 wounded.

The Second Battle of Passchendaele cost the Canadian Corps 15 654 casualties with over 4 000 dead, in 16 days of fighting.

Military history of Canada during the First World War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Canadian Battalion that is always worthy of mention, 13th BATT 1st Canadian Division.

During World War I, 11,954 Officers and Enlisted men fought in the three battalions of this Canadian Regiment “The Black Watch.” Of those who served, 2,163 were killed, 6,014 were wounded.

In The 13th Battalion 3rd brigade of the 1st Canadian Division during 1914 -1919

CASUALTIES LIST:

Total of nominal Roll 5,560

Total of Officers who served 251

Officers promoted from the Ranks
( Not included those Commission to Imperial Army Unites ) 100

Officers Killed 50

O.R. Killed 1,055

Officers Missing 2

O.R. Missing 123

Officers Wounded 135

O.R. Wounded 3,019

Total Officers Casualties 188

Total O.R Casualties 4,257

Battalion Casualties 4,445

Total all Ranks Dead 1,291

Therfore 7/8 of 13th BATT was a Casultie. With 3 Victoria Cross winners and 1,000 + decorations for heroic Gallantry.

Their "Dead Gameness" may undeniably ever be questioned.
Under Queens Regulations.

Lest We Forget.

Edited by Spaniard, 10 April 2010 - 07:56 PM.

Those that have Evolved will sooner or later
run out of Ammo, and will be at the Merci
from the One who still carries as back up a
34" Warrior Wakizashi Knife!

#21 Mehar

Mehar

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:56 PM

The passing of Mr. Babcock never had a deeper impact on me until I heard the words "end of an era" by media outlets.

There's a veterans center in my city, I think one of the first in western Canada. They were founded shortly after the war ended by WW1 veterans, I don't think they did much to commemorate this event. =/

#22 macrusk

macrusk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:20 AM

This is the end of an era, even though your numbers on Casualties and KIA are debatable Some say it's much higher, or lower. No matter what the count, the Price was High, which left many survivors after the Great War Sociologically Scarred for life, and the government dismissed them. Just like battle fatigue was considered a Sign of cowardness, and somewhere even Shot stone cold dead by their own Superiors because they broke down and refused to fight........

Just wanted to point out that my original post contained what was written by Veterans Affairs Canada and that more information and factual history links were on their page at the link.

A link with a video of the ceremony in Ottawa

Generations strive to emulate First World War vets: PM - CTV News
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#23 AndyPants

AndyPants

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:29 AM

I was at Vimy ridge last April.....beautiful spot,but very sad all the same
All the Best,

Andy

"people who are not themselves are nobody" - General George S. Patton

#24 macrusk

macrusk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

A few of the videos on You Tube regarding Vimy:

YouTube - VIMY RIDGE FRANCE JUNE 3 2007

YouTube - 1940 Canadians at Vimy Ridge

YouTube - The Battle of Vimy Ridge part 1 Setting the Stage
Regards, Michelle

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#25 Spaniard

Spaniard

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

[quote]I don't think they did much to commemorate this event.[/qoute]

This is correct happened throughout Canada for many decades, even WWII vets were put as a waste of tax $$$$$ Canadian Veterans affairs has had to fight the Government in court to get compensation many times. Canada should still be ashamed the way they treated their Great War and Second War Not counting Korea Vets. Just now for about a decade Canada Started in Afghanistan that Vets are getting more recognition, But we Still celebrate it for one day parade the troops and put them in the back Burner till the next year comes around. This is why Sites such as WWII Forums are so important in keeping the memory of their exploits to endeavor to persevere against all Odds. In WWII 2 Division was badly Lead by Argent pompous Generals, in many cases dismissing vital Intel information from Top Secret project "ULTRA" having been badly supplied in many Battles, outmanned and outgunned in many cases 10 to 1, they fought with Heroic Gallantry, against an Enemy that was well seasoned better equipped, embedded and fortified like forests in many cases.

[quote]Just wanted to point out that my original post contained what was written by Veterans Affairs Canada and that more information and factual history links were on their page at the link.
[/quote]

Yes thats OK all I was stating that those numbers are estimates, and will never be able to know the real exact number of Canadian Casualties for the Great War. But the Black Watch for the Great War, I have all the Names of the casualties KIA and unknown Grave OR MIA. also for WWII this is from National Archives in Ottawa. The real number of dead for B.W. for WWII I have now 503 names KIA with dates and I'm still looking for 20+++ more that Died in WWII.

Therefore you can see that the numbers in many cases of casualties don't match even if It's government Archives. As many Battles in Normandy they had estimate counts of casualties.

CDN Black Watch WW II

1st Batt The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada

Casualty Record

Serial Type of Cas. Offrs. Ors.
1.-------Killed ----------1-----347
2.----Died of Wounds ---9------64
3.----Wounded----------73----1045
4.----Missing -----------3------8
5.-----POW------------0-------0
6.-POW - Wounded----0-------0
7.-----Died--------------2------12
8.Died of Wounds - POW-1-----3
9.Died while POW-------0-------6
10.Presumed Killed-------1------6
11.Repated POW--------0-------1
12.Killed While Trying to Escape--0---0
13.-Suicide--------------0--------2
14.-Homicide------------0--------0
15.-Executed------------0--------0
16.Presumed Dead------0--------0
17.Died on War Service--0-------0
18.Wounded B.C. Injury--2------18
19.Died of Wounds B.C. Injury--0--1
20.Wounded B.C. Accident--0--0
21.Died of Wounds B.C. Accident--0---0
22.Killed B.C. Accident----0---0
23.Presumed Died of Wounds--0---0
24.Released POW-------6-----193
25.Released POW Wounded--1----29
26.Presumed Died While POW--0---0
------------Total--------------117---- 1735

Please note that this is a separate document found at the National Archives in Ottawa

Edited by Spaniard, 11 April 2010 - 06:32 PM.

Those that have Evolved will sooner or later
run out of Ammo, and will be at the Merci
from the One who still carries as back up a
34" Warrior Wakizashi Knife!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users