Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

New to the forum hoping to do some research on Aerodromes in Scotland

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by RAFayrheathfield, Nov 24, 2009.

1. RAFayrheathfield

RAFayrheathfield recruit

Hello all.

Just thought I'd come on this forum with a view to finding some historical information about an Aerodrome called RAF Ayr or Heathfield. Our family has farmed the land around it for generations and it is slowly being lost to the ever encroaching urban sprawl.
    I have always had a deep appreciation of all those who lived and died through the 2 world wars and always attend remembrance sunday every year. It does humble me greatly when I read about the lives, the operations, the endeavours of our nation and its people during those times.
    So i've made it a hobby of mine to read up on as much information as I can find about any aspect of mostly the second world war and with particular reference to the RAF and my local area, Ayrshire in Scotland.
    I intend to gather as much as I can and compile it in a book illustrated with as many photos as I can find of the aerodrome and its surroundings, together with stories, true or rumour.
    So initially I guess I'm asking where to start ?
    I'm imagining there must be plans kept somewhere of what the Aerodrome would look like / design of the facilities when constructed in 1941 and called RAF Ayr. It was later taken over by the Navy I believe under the name of HMS Wagtail.
    Is it possible to get access to such plans / paperwork possible at the Imperial War Mueseum at Duxford for example ?

Any initial pointer at this stage would be very helpful or of course anybody's knowledge / information / photographs about the site.
    Google link to location below :

ayr scotland - Google Maps

The centre of the three runways was just south of the 'G' in 'Golf' of the label 'Prestwick St. Cuthberts Golf Club' on the above map.

Any help much appreciated.

Thankyou

George McNaughton

2. alieneyes

alieneyes Member

Hi George,

Welcome to the forum. What an interesting topic you're researching.

Have you seen this:

The Hawker Tempest Page

The history of the place as well as a map of the runways I am assuming is from the period.

I'm trying to recall the name of one company that seemed to build quite a few aerodromes in the UK during WWII and will update this post this if I do and it applies to your research.

3. Currahee

Currahee Member

Welcome to the forum.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I found this photo from 1956
    [​IMG]

Title: RAF Ayr and Prestwick aerodrome sites from the air in 1956
    Scran ID: 000-000-496-247-C
    Resource Rights Holder: Wilf White Collection

And this bit
    Ayr (HMS Wagtail), Ayr, Scotland (1941-1957)
    Operational RAF Fighter Command No 13 Group, joined by USAAF 6-1943 to 11-1943. Transferred on loan to Navy and commissioned 1944. Paid off 1946. SAF 1951-1957. Used by FAA as air station for disembarking squadrons, an FRU, calibration flight, bombardment spotting school, and communications squadron.

Royal Naval Air Stations of the Fleet Air Arm Archive 1939-1945 Contents Page

And a more recent photo:
    [​IMG]

from this site WHAT AERODROME QUIZ - Page 92 - The Airfield Information Exchange

I don't know how much you have, but this is a start for me.

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I was also going to recommend AiX - it's a treasure-trove of serious information about UK airfields.

6. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Hello and welcome! As you already have some of our best minds offering you advice, I trust you will soon find the information you seek!

Cheers!

7. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Hello George, welcome!

8. applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe Member

Hi there, George... Welcome to the forums.