Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Private Garrett Chidley, KIA Afghanistan Dec 30 2009 Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry

Discussion in 'Roll of Honor & Memories - All Other Conflicts' started by macrusk, Jan 1, 2010.

1. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

CBC News - Manitoba - Soldier's death 'a parent's worst nightmare'

The father of a Canadian soldier killed Wednesday by a roadside bomb while on a security detail in Afghanistan is calling the violent loss of his son "a parent's worst nightmare."

Pte. Garrett Chidley, 21, along with three other Canadian Forces soldiers and a Vancouver-born journalist, died after the armoured vehicles they were riding in struck an improvised explosive device in Kandahar City.
    'I just don't know what I'm going to do now.'—Cam Chidley, father of Pte. Garrett Chidley
    Cpl. Zachery McCormack, 21, Sgt. Kirk Taylor, 28, Sgt. George Miok, 28, and Michelle Lang, a 34-year-old reporter for the Calgary Herald, also died in the bomb blast, which happened at about 4 a.m. local time.

"It's terrible. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy," Cam Chidley said in a brief interview with CBC News outside his home in Langley.

"I just don't know what I'm going to do now. It's a nightmare, a parent's worst nightmare," he said.

The fatal explosion occurred just 1,500 metres from the Dand district centre, which Canadian soldiers helped rebuild after a suicide bombing in April. The attack came during a community security patrol to gather information on patterns of life.

Chidley was based in Shilo, Man., and was an infantryman in the 2nd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. He was serving with the Provincial Reconstruction Team in Kandahar, a statement from CFB Shilo said.
    'Proud and happy' to be part of mission

It was the young soldier's first overseas tour of duty. Cam Chidley said his son was proud to be in Afghanistan as part of the Canadian combat and reconstruction effort.

"He was proud and happy to go there. He worked hard to get there. He was proud of his buddies, proud of what he was up to," he said.

The young soldier was born in Cambridge, Ont., and raised in Langley. He has a brother and a sister, Chidley said.

Brig.-Gen Daniel Ménard, the top commander in Kandahar, gave glowing reports of Chidley, and described him as a young man with a likable, lighthearted demeanor and strong work ethic.

"Garrett was always ready to lend a hand and made tough tasks seem easy by joking around to lighten the mood," Ménard said.

Ménard described Chidley as "a great driver, the one you wanted for difficult tasks." He clearly loved his family, Ménard added.

"He loved talking about his family, especially about how much fun he and his dad together."

Also see:
    http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/abc/home/contentposting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&showbyline=True&date=true&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20100101%2framp_ceremony_100101

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Reading these and trying to write a sincere note is difficult to put into words. The best I can say is They will not be forgotten. Godspeed