Photo
- - - - -

Who will win the FIFA World Cup in South Africa?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 tovarisch

tovarisch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

Your bets for the 2010 WC (world cup, not water closet) in South Africa. England's got a superb team this year, Spain aren't looking too shabby, the US have put together a proper team for once, and there's always Brazil and Argentina. Who's going to take it home?

#2 Tomcat

Tomcat

The One From Down Under

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

Well Australia of course, look how close they came last time, if it wasn't for that Referee in the game against Italy we would have had it, well we would have at least been in the semi's.

There was so much controversy over that decision that he made.
For want of a nail the shoe was lost, for the want of a shoe the horse was lost, for the want of a horse the rider was lost, for the want of a rider the battle was lost, For want of a battle the kingdom was lost, and all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Robert,

#3 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

Spain has got a great team, and so does Brazil. Argentina has a world-class team,too, but their coach is destroying the team spirit. My guess is Spain....
Posted Image

#4 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'd go with spain too,ahead of argentina...

#5 Milleniumgorilla

Milleniumgorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Well I also think that the chances for Spain are quite good. But it's football and everything is possible.
And over we say "Football is the game where 22 men try to score a goal with a ball for 90 minutes and in the end Germany wins."

#6 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

Well, it certainly won't be Australia....group of death and all.

My money is firmly placed on Croatia to cause an upset, Spain to be eliminated second round, Argentina will reach the semi- but get knocked out, Germany are a strong chance, but the winner, for only the second time will be ENGLAND!!!!

#7 redcoat

redcoat

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

My money is firmly placed on Croatia to cause an upset, !!!!

Slight problem....They didn't qualify for the finals ;)

My head says Spain and Brazil are the two favourites, but in my heart....England ! :)
if in doubt....Panic!!!!

#8 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

Oh blast....I' meant SERBIA....they are in Australia's group....oops

We are going to be the ones knocked out by the....

I've just had a knock at the door from the Croatian National movement...scuse me!

#9 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,419 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:18 AM

My money is on Brazil.
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#10 tovarisch

tovarisch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

My money's on England for some strange reason :) I feel like they don't want to get knocked out of the tournament in a penalty shootout vs. Portugal for the 3rd time in a row :)

And they've got the Yanks on the first game :D should be a doddle, that one :)

#11 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,217 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

England don't have a chance. Too much hype, talented players who can't play together, but no real general in the midfield. Gerrard and Lampard are too egotistical and try to do things on their own. There is no Fabregas type of player on the England Squad.

I was hoping to see Russia in the WC - they're always fun to watch, especially that little Russian Rocket - but I am leaning towards Spain taking it home this year. Just all around a very impressive team.

Italy, France, and Argentina will all flop too, the USA will do OK but they're still boys trying to plan a mans sport. Egypt might be the surprise of the tournament, I think.

Rome 2: Total War ARR as Rome

http://www.ww2f.com/...tal-war-aarome/

#12 wtid45

wtid45

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Spain, trust Musso to get in a dig at Stevie G and crow about the Gooners roll on September;):D
WHEN YOU GO HOME, TELL THEM OF US AND SAY, FOR YOUR TOMORROW,WE GAVE OUR TODAY. Epitaph on the Kohima memorial .

#13 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,217 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

As individuals, the English team players are all pretty good, but stick them on the same team and there isn't enough variety. There is no real 'playmaker' type of player anymore, who dictates the game with his passes and positioning. Its been a flaw of English teams for quite some time now despite how good some of the individual position players have been (Rooney, anyone?). The English Midfield seems to be very attack minded - there is no real defensive midfielder or 'the general' on the team, which (as Spain show us) you need for success.

#14 hornetsfan

hornetsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:11 PM

For the first time in my life I am feeling optimistic about the English teams chances .
We have some cracking players ...Wayne Rooney's fantastic ..I love his bulldog spirit , he has real fire in his belly .
Secondly , we have a good general in command ,the foreign bloke that rules the roost ...forgotten his name . He seems to be disciplined , knows what he wants and has the respect of the players.
And finally , it will be a world cup where the climatic conditions will suit the English players .
Its Englands time ...we will definately win the World Cup .
SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOF TOPS ....EN-GER-LAND :D
Jim ...Wheres me flag .
The more I learn ,the less I know .

#15 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,217 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

I mean a general on the field (like Fabregas) not on the sidelines.
I also wonder how much the Terry Saga will affect the other players.

#16 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

Would be nice to see Holland win it for once ..grrr Steamroller time !
Im himmel gibt's kein bier !

#17 hornetsfan

hornetsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

Oh Damn ,I forgot about Brazil ...optimism now fading fast .
The more I learn ,the less I know .

#18 tovarisch

tovarisch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Oh Damn ,I forgot about Brazil ...optimism now fading fast .

Brazil ain't nothing. Honestly, I think they're way too overhyped these days. If anyones overhyped then that's Brazil, not England. I mean, England deserve to win, they haven't had a WC trophy since '66, with all their footballing talent, they should have surely won at least once since the 60's. Brazil have got 5 W. Cups. Soon they won't have enough space on their badge to put the little stars on.

#19 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,217 posts

User's Awards

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

England has talent, just not the right kind. They don't have a dribbler/general who can make things happen. Sure, I'd love most of their position players on my team, but they don't have that spark or magic.

Brazil is overhyped these days, they had their glory run but now they're a dangerous team, not the 'Champions' that no one can beat.

I'm still putting my money on Spain.

#20 Kruska

Kruska

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

Would be nice to see Holland win it for once ..grrr Steamroller time !

:D:D:D - well you never know :eek:, on the other hand :D:D:D
Regards
Kruska
Imagine there is a WAR!!! - and your TV doesn't work

#21 tovarisch

tovarisch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:11 AM

I'm still putting my money on Spain.

Speculation aside, we'll just have to sit back and watch what happens in South Africa this summer. England, Italy, France, Spain, Holland, Slovenia, Serbia, the US, Brazil, Argentina, Cameroon or whoever, it hasn't even started yet :D Oh what a WC we've got :D

By the way is anybody here going to South Africa for the WC?

#22 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

While soccer is not a sport I follow in the US, I enjoy the World Cup. The level of competition is much greater in Europe. I will watch, and cheer for the US team in South Africa this year. I think this year they will make it out of group play. The round of 16 will be trickier. Looking at the schedule, if the US makes it out of group play, they will most likely face Germany or Australia. On the other hand we have a solid win against Spain recently, so we are capable of beating anyone on any given day.
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#23 -tmm-

-tmm-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

I think Spain and Brazil probably have the best chance, with Germany and Italy being close behind. England I think won't have any trouble getting the the quarter finals and anything further than that will be the kind of games where the formbook or comparisons on paper means nothing. England have always had talented players, but never performed to full potential - but I think we have a coach in Capello who can push us further to perform. With a fully fit squad then I can see England causing an upset or two.

#24 All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

I'd like to think England will find it easy towards the Semis. Then its a possible showdown with Brazil.
That's when we'll see how far the team has come under capello and how he deals with it when the chips are down.
Beat Brazil in the semis and i think we can do it.
Come on England!!!!!

#25 Gerard

Gerard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

The head says Spain, still the team to beat. HOWEVER Brazil can never be counted out. I'd like to see England win a world cup though.
Tree Hugging Hippy Liberal - VERY European in outlook - but not a Teacher (In case you thought otherwise) :D
TEACHERS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users