9 replies to this topic

#1 trbodley

trbodley

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

Hi everyone, my name is Terry Bodley and I stumbled upon this wonderful site while searching for information on my grandfather Orlando Arthur Bodley, who comanded a tank in WWII. I have been doing genealogy research for a number of years but took a break for about 5 years and now I'm trying to get back at it. I will be 50 this year and I'm trying to put together a record of our family history for my children, but there always seem to be holes that need to be plugged and that's why I'm here. My grandfather would never talk much about the war and from what I have read so far, I don't really blame him as it must have been horrific at times. He did mention once, while under the influence of too much wine, that he was injured in the battle of Falaise and he thought he was going to die there as he was trapped in his tank under the bodies of his fellow soldiers, but under the cover of night, his commanding officer rescued him. I used to think it was one of those tall tales that you hear, but then I read about Major Currie performing a similar type rescue at that time period and now I'm wondering if my grandfather was one of those men that Major Currie saved. I haven't got much to work with yet as I haven't sent for my grandfather's military records (as I said, I'm just starting out again), but I was wondering if anyone could point me to places on line that I could search in the mean time. I believe my grandfather was part of the 4th Canadian Armoured Division, but I'm not even sure of that. He did mention that his tank was hit when he was performing recon for the battle of the Falaise Gap, but not much more. Unfortunately, he passed of away of alzhiemers about 15 years ago and as I said, he wouldn't talk much of the war. Someday, when I get it all sorted out, I'd like to take a trip to France and get a feel for what my grandfather was up against, but without all of the fear, death, and distruction of course.

So now you know why I'm here and what I'll be looking for as I lurk around the site.

Have a great day everyone!

Terry

#2 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,758 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:34 PM

Welcome to the forums, Terry! Pitch in when you're ready.
Regards,

Gordon

#3 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,207 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

Welcome aboard, Terry. You might want to use the search function for posts by our own macrusk. She has a wealth of information on Canadian forces. If the Search comes up empty, or with too many choices, leave her a note on her profile page. I'm betting she will be an enormous help.

Post away!

image001.png

Lou

#4 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:16 PM

welcome terry...

#5 coloradocowboy

coloradocowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

welcome. ill bet your proud of your grandfather
www.buyandsellwwii.com

#6 Karma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:06 AM

Welcome to the forums Terry, you'll find plenty of resources here.
A dead chrysanthemum
and yet - isn't there still something
remaining in it?
- Takahama Kyoshi

Proud Son of Japan

#7 macrusk

macrusk

Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:27 AM

Welcome to the Forum, Terry.

I'm actually going to be on this tour D-Day to the Liberation of Holland
at the end of April, beginning of May, and will post photos and my impressions when I get back. I'll be following my Dad's footsteps. He was also at Falaise with the Artillery. Look for http://www.ww2f.com/...ale-sapper.html as Brian speaks about his experiences at Falaise here with the British Army.

Try this http://www.ww2f.com/...ly-history.html where I've added quite a few links to Canadian WWII sites. There are quite a few well-written books Canada's role in NW Europe. I highly recommend anything by Terry Copp. I'll do some looking and if I find anything on the 4th Canadian Armoured Division I'll post it. If there is not a thread already, I'll start one.

I've had the genealogical version of my Dad's records from Library and Archives Canada, but since it's still not 20 years since Dad died, I'm trying the ATIP route hoping I'll get his records before our trip - although I've left it a little late! I too was doing genealogy, but found my research always had me wanting to know about my Dad and my mother's service before I could be enthused about looking for anyone else. Good luck in your search.
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#8 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:48 AM

Welcome and thanks for letting us be part of your search.
Kicking up dust since 1978

#9 JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

Hi Terry, good luck in your search!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"If you want peace work for justice" -Pope Paul VI

Jon

#10 trbodley

trbodley

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, and the advice. I now have a few leads to track down and that's more than I had before. Good luck in all of your searches and I promise I'll share anything I find, as well as how I found it in case it will help others.

And so, the adventure begins...

Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users