Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USA Hg Co 3rd Bt 393 rd Inf Regiment

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Davy, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Davy

Davy Member

Hi there can any one help out with information or how to obtain information on US Hg Co 3rd Bt 393 rd Inf Regiment
    I would like to know when they entered into combat and there actions as the entered Europe and there action on the way to Germany
    Any information would be of help

Thanks Davy

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcoeol the forum Davy. First of all, I suspect you are looking for Hq (Headquarters Company) of the 3rd Battalion.

Here is a quick summary of the action of the regiment:
    393rd Infantry Regiment LoneSentry.com

• 393rd Infantry: WWII Lineage and Assignments
    Ordered into active military service 15 November 1942 and reorganized at Camp Van Dorn, Mississippi. Inactivated 20 September 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.

• 393rd Infantry: WWII Honors
    Campaigns: Rhineland; Ardennes-Alsace; Central Europe. Belgian Fourragere 1940. Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action at the Siegfried Line. Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action at Elsenborn Crest.

• 393rd Infantry: Miscellaneous
    Assigned to the 99th Infantry Division during WWII.

393rd Infantry Regiment - World War II History (LoneSentry.com)

Here's a report which should be of some interest.

Office of Medical History

3. Davy

Davy Member

Hi Lou thanks for that information, I am trying to research a German WW2 flag that I bought many many years ago with intensions of looking into the names and addresses on it, I managed to contact one of the named in Fairway fresno, CA - 1989
    LEO BOORNAZIAN of the above regiment, he could not really remember signing the flag but did recall it may have been taken in action in Belgium
    There are about 30 US soldier names of all ranks inc a Chaplain
    The flag has a town name but I am not sure if the German soldiers would take this flag with them when they occupied the Belgium.

Thanks again for the welcome and your help.

Regards Davy

4. Davy

Davy Member

Hi Lou
    just had a look at the names on the flag there is a few from where you stay

SAMUEL LEWIS
    603 JESSOP PLACE
    YORK
    PA

-
    PETER F NEPI
    5790 OXFORD STREET
    PHILA
    PA

-

ANDREW KAPELANDVICH
    119 N. CAMERON AVE
    SCRAMTON 4
    PA

-

This is a lady
    MRs EDNA CANDEY
    5149 RANSTEAD STREET
    W. PHILA
    PA

5. jim1977

jim1977 recruit

Dave,
    I just completed registration so that I could reply to your post. My father, James Angert, was a member of Hq. Co. 3rd Bat. 393rd Infantry Regiment; specifically he was a member of the Communications Platoon. The Comms Platoon was divided into three sections Wire, Radio and Message Center. My father has written abit about his experiences during the war and I recognize at least two of the names you listed. Peter Nepi of Phila., was a good friend of my father and Sgt. of the Wire Section. Also have some photos of members of the Comms platoon. Curious who else has their signature on the flag. Any chance you could post a good quality digital photo of the flag and I'll see what else I can tell you? Several members of my Dad's Radio section were KIA so I might be able to loosely date when is was signed based on the appearance of certain names.
    Jim

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Jim.

7. Davy

Davy Member

Hi Jim thanks for getting in touch, I have another listing under
    HELP WITH NAMES TO THEIR WAR TIME UNITS AND RANK
    if you do a search on my user name or above post it should come up, there are quite a few photos of the flag and most of the names are listed, I have been in contact with Mike Nepi , his father Peter Nepi is stiil alive and living with his wife in Florida, Mike has sent his dad photos of the flag and all the information regarding the names on the flag, he can remember about 70% of the people named on the flag, but can`t remember the flag or signing it although Mike Nepi says it is his dads writing on the flag, Although there is a lot of names from HQ 3rd Batt 393rd Inf - 99th Inf on the flag I can`t seem to tie the 99th Inf to the village of Partenstein in looks like the 14. US-armoured division, B-and C-company of the 68th Armoured Battalion
    under Major General Albert Cowper Smith who conquered Partenstein in Easter 1945.
    there were SS, tanks and a defence set up to slow down the US advance, several rail and river bridges where detroyed by the town defence. Still trying to find a link, any information would be a great help.
    I would love to see any photos you have. If you please send me your email I will send photos that I have, your father may be in one that I have of a group shot of young GI`s at Camp Maxi TX
    Aug 44
    I will leave my email Jim please contact me and we can exchange photos.
    davyalexander at sky.com
    Best regards
    Davy ( Scotland )