#1 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:13 AM

Any opinions, gentlemen?
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#2 Bish OBE

Bish OBE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:18 AM

Well, if you are talking anything, its an infantryman armed with an AT weapon.
'England confides that every man will do his duty' Nelson
'I'm a Norfolk man, and glory in being so' Nelson
Posted Image Posted Image
Proud to be a GRUNT

#3 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:24 AM

Well, that was quite effective but no... I reffer to something a little bit more complicated. You know, a thing with an engine, armour, crew, a cannon, wheels and a catterpilar... That thing! ;)
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#4 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:57 AM

Have to agree with you--and the best tank killer in ww2 was Friedrich Anding.
Lost are only those, who abandon themselves) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
:snoopy: :ww1ace:
Posted Image

#5 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:56 AM

Finally I have realised I am not the foolest here... :D

#6 dasreich

dasreich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 05:48 AM

Originally posted by General der Infanterie Friedrich H

... I reffer to something a little bit more complicated. You know, a thing with an engine, armour, crew, a cannon, wheels and a catterpilar... That thing!

In that case, I would say the M18 Hellcat is the best overall tank killer. Sure the Jagdpanther was more lethal, but the M18 was cheap as hell to make...and we made a lot of them.
"If your gonna buy the angel s**t, you might as well go for the zombie package as well."
-George Carlin

#7 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 05:58 AM

Can aircraft be included or are you looking for something more to the "Ground".......if so it is the Sturmgeschütze G, with the best killing record during the war.

E
:aceofspades: E ~

#8 Otto

Otto

GröFaZ

• Administrators
  • 6,621 posts
  • LocationFestung Chicago

User's Awards

Posted 16 July 2002 - 06:25 AM

Hans-Ulrich Rudel :D

tiger_p_elephant_PzP.gif

Comments, questions or feedback? Contact me at ottomail.png

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." Socrates

#9 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,813 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 16 July 2002 - 07:37 AM

Not the most interesting answer, but I'll go for the Tiger 1. I don't have any statistics but. . . . it's that gun again.

Honourable patriotic mention for the Sherman Firefly, too.

And I'm always surprised at just how effective such simple-looking things as the Panzerfaust and PIAT could be in brave hands. :eek:
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#10 Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:09 PM

NOPE-GUNTER VIEZENZ WAS THE BEST TANK KILLER-ON THE GROUND-BUT IN THE AIR-HANS ULRICH RUDEL.

BUT THE TRACKED VEHICLE-um-Jadgtiger, or the Hellcat....
"GARRY OWEN"-Traditional war-cry of the US 7th Cavalry.
"CURRAHEE"-War-cry of the US 506th PIR.
"Everybody thinks that they are going to get the chance to punch some Nazi in the face at Normandy-and those days are over, they are long gone"-Lt Chris Burnett

#11 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,813 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:21 PM

Gunter Viezenz is new to me - can we have a brief update ??

#12 CrazyD

CrazyD

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 02:42 PM

Good thread, Friedrich...

I second Martin's motion- Gunter Vienzenz? DO tell, PanzerKnacker...

Hmmm... Panzerfausts would certainly take the overall cake, considering their ease of use and production.
Vehicle? I'd have to go with the Hetzer. Easy to make, small, low silouette, good gun (75mmL48). Jagdpanther was a great one as well though...
Sno-Balls? Sno-Balls? Where the %#$@ are the God damn Twinkies?

#13 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 03:23 PM

No, no, no, NO!!! :mad:

Tank killer: an armoured vehicle which seems like a tank but doesn't have a bloody turret!!!

Yes, Hans Ulrich Rudel... bla, bla, bla. NOT men, not aeroplanes, TANK KILLERS!!!

(What will I do with you, kids! :D )

By the way. Glücksguter, Carl! I am very happy for you and your promotion!!! Finally we have two field-marshalls (And I have one who I like more :D Just kidding, Otto. Carl could be the million posts-guy, but you are the master here. :D

#14 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:18 PM

Stug G is still # 1 with me.......very dependable. The chap you mentioned with the Pnzerfaust had 21 kills to his credit. Quite a fine, brave and noble man.

Stug's rule, and my chest is too heavy with all those medals Otto..... !, by the way just received a card from you......thank you ! :D :D

E

#15 CrazyD

CrazyD

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:40 PM

The whole StuG series were good vehicles; the StuG G you mention Erich- which gun did that one mount? Was that the StuG with the L70 gun?
Saw one of them at Aberdeen- the StuG with the Panther gun. Impressive looking vehicle...
Sno-Balls? Sno-Balls? Where the %#$@ are the God damn Twinkies?

#16 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,813 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 04:44 PM

Here we go again . . .

The 'best' was, IMHO, the Jagdpanther. As to the most effective - I'm not sure. :confused:

#17 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 05:21 PM

Ooops--I forgot about Gunter.V.

Danke Friedrich! :D

Otto--you beat me to the punch with H.U.Rudel, and here I am with a quote by he himself. :D
Lost are only those, who abandon themselves) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
:snoopy: :ww1ace:
Posted Image

#18 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 06:04 PM

Martin :

I would agree with the Jagdpanther if it would have come earlier in the war. My reasons for the stug are many but it has a proven track record and at times in 1945 besides filling the Stug battery's, was also in one of the Panzer Kompanies
of a Panzer regiment.
Bish, I do believe it was the revised 7.5 cm Pak 40 gun.

E

#19 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,813 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 06:20 PM

I see the point, Erich. The StuG's seemed to be just about everywhere - Russia, Italy, Normandy, Arnhem, the Ardennes, etc etc. And I believe Wittmann made his reputation with one of these, too ?

#20 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 09:06 PM

Nice, gentlemen! I do like you that way! :D

Erich, Carl. We will push you into a lake and you will sink for all those heavy medals... :D

I think Erich has a very good point and certainly the Stugs were very effective and incredible weapons. But weren't they self-propelled artillery or is that the book I read it onto is nuts? Well, they had good armour, nice gun, were fast and manouvrable, low-silloute. All that makes a good tank killer. But the Jagdpanther was an awesome machine: very, very well armoured, lethal gun (88), still fast and manouvrable and low-silloute again.

Other German tank killers were very good too: Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV "Guderians Ente", Jagdpanzer III. All these had the same qualities mentioned above.

The Elephant and Ferdinand were effective when well used at longe range, but they are not good tank killers because a tank killer has to be fast and manouvrable and these were not at all. The Jagdtiger is just a tremendous waste of resources. 75 tons for a tank killer? It is unsane!!! The gear-box broke when the first curve came because it was too heavy. It was slow and not manouvrable. Perhaps its armour was very good and its gun could smash anything. But I thing that building those things at that stage of the war is a total waste. How many Stugs could be done with the resources of a single Jagdtiger?

#21 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 09:27 PM

Yes, Michael Witmann did start out as a stug commander...
maybe it was the ease in making the stug that so many were made. There seems to be an overabundance of Pz III chasis so what better way to utilize older frames than put a low lung powerful gun with great optics and use it ! Th Jg Pz IV was an excellent weapon as well but like the Jagdpanther came out a bit late. Very few at Normandy.
I have some great footage from Deutsche Wocheschau showing SS Stug's and infantrymen taking on some T-34's and soviet infantry in early 45. Wow some terrific kills- 2 - of them. One T-34 surprised and hit broadside...ugh !!
and yes my chest feels too heavy Freidrich.... :D

E

#22 mp38

mp38

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 12:44 AM

I would definately have to say the JagPanther! It combined the body of the Panther with the gun of the King Tiger! Now that is a deadly combination! :D The Germans were really thinking on this one! Too bad they didn't make enough of them, or get a large number of them together at one time. It would have been ugly for the Allies! :(

Matt :cool:

#23 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 04:57 PM

Quite right, Matt!

#24 Mustang

Mustang

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 October 2002 - 03:42 AM

The Il-2 Stuemevick!!! :D
MUSTANGS FOREVER
FACTS ARE JUST THERE TO ARGUE YOUR OPINIONS

#25 redcoat

redcoat

Ace