Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bombing of Dresden--and for what?

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by C.Evans, Jan 6, 2001.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I wonder just why it was so much a priority on Arthur "Bomber" Harris's list of places to destroy? Dresden im sure had a few legit targets but, not enough to alter the outcome of the war by not bombing it into rubble and killing many thousands of civilians.

I'm extremely greatful that we won the war but, I have never agreed with the bombing of Dresden.

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I never liked it either. Did you know that sebsequent waves of bombers were timed to catch firemen and rescue workers before they could do their job? Thant's nasty! I have heard many people, (justifiably), bash the Germans for the London Blitz, but that was never anything like pounding Dresden took.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I didn't know about that but, it only figures that Harris would think of such a thing. Terroristic bombing.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

I too always wondered why Dresden was smashed. I have never herd that ther was much there anyway. Wouldny most of the soidiers be used elsewhere?

5. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

Hey, I just noticed that you have four badges now. I wonder what the new one is? it looks like its Polish or Russian.

6. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Let's face it: war is a terrible thing. There is no saying "hey, that was unfair" or timeouts. Marcinko once said that there are no rules, and that you must go into war willing to win at ALL costs. This goes back to the heated discussion on the use of the atomic bomb against Japan. Much of the same applies. This also goes all the way back to Sherman's concept of "total war", in which you pound the enemy to utterly demoralize him. Apparently, Dresden seemed to be the unfortunate candidate.

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Since Dresden was never bombed before, my guess would be that they wanted new targets and Dresden was the next largest city on the list. Bomber Harris has always been accused of conducting terrorist bombing. Was for vengenance? He paid back the Germans 10 times in return. Nevertheless, war is a nasty business and the victors don't go before the war crime tribunal.

------------------
    Tschuss

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Outstanding post Erich!, I agree. Its sad to say that most of the needless destruction might have been avoided if it had not been for some bombs that were dropped on a city by accident, which led to both sides escalating their bombing campaigns. Sometimes though, I have to wonder if the e were really accidents or not.

9. Yankee

Yankee Member

In my own opinion the only motivation behind the bombing was Revenge, The Allies should have known better. No matter how you look at it was a waste,in both human lives and supplies. The bombs and planes lost and use could have been used much mor effectively in other bombing raids.

------------------
    Out side is America!

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

darn good answer, and in total agreement with you.

11. Ron

Ron Member

The bombing of Germany had 2 goals...
    1. to destroy factories and germany's ability to wage war effectively.
    2. to demoralize to populace by bombing their cities at will.
    War is not made to be noble. War is horible and the final product never looks good.
    I think someone posted how they would time the bombing raids to catch firefighting crews fighting fires. Well that is sick but war is sick...and thus this strategicly makes sense. 1. you keep them from putting out fires that will add to the destruction of the bomb target.
    2. If they cannot fight fire with their firefighting crews gone then future raids will be more destructive because the fires will consume more.

12. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

I think the dresden bombings was nothing but murder. I lost an uncle an aunt, and three cousins during a raid. All for what purpose, none of them were of military age or use.

13. Killjoy

Killjoy Member

What rationale did Hitler give for bombing London....
    At some point tactics shifted from focusing on the enemy's military capacity to undermining the "will" of the people of the enemy nation to go on fighting.
    To think that the bombing of cities which culminated in the Hamburg and Dresden raids was brought about by an error in targeting by a German Bomber unit which, through navigational error, bombed London by night during the raids which were to have preceeded Operation Sealion. Churchil insisted on bombing Berlin in retaliation. Hitler replied in kind, shifting the emphasis of the raids on England to the destruction of cities, and a holocaust of another sort was wrought....

------------------
    Novus Ordo Seclorum

14. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Yes but the same could be said of London, Rotterdam, or Warsaw. Again, war is a horrendous thing in which there is nothing but loss. Schultz, sorry to hear of yours.

15. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Member

I do agree with what you say Erich. I just have a hard time with the bombings of any city but Dresden of all non-military places.

Thanks for the sorrow for my relatives. I just wish than no one else had to lose so many family members as I did. I know there are many who lost way more than my family. I guess at least they were the only family members in Germany to get killed.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

From what I understand on watching some documentaries on Dresden, that it was just a terroristic bombing by Harris. Apparently, most or all of the units in or around Dresden, had been transferred to other areas. Supposedly, there were not any Anti Aircraft Artillery units employed in or around Dresden because of the situations on other fronts.

At one time though, Dresden did have Artillery units employed to protect the city. As the was dragged on and the losses mounted, what was Dresdens defense, had become replacements for depleted or destroyed units in the east.

17. J.Mahoney

J.Mahoney Member

I just watched a documentary on this last week. It was said that the bombing was just so they could kill as many civilians as they could. The British timed their attacks so as to cause additional killings when the second wave of RAF bombers came in. It was designed for the only puropose to catch rescue personnel and survivors out in the open. I say that was messed -up thinking.

18. R Fogt

R Fogt Member

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for sending this link to the Dresden Kirch. There is another excellent site pertaining to its reconstruction but I do not have a link to it. I found that back in October and became a member by donating $50.00 to the reconstruction of the Kirch.

Thanks for this reminder......

20. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I found this old thread and make no excuse for adding to it. I do not intend to reopen the argument for or against the Allied strategy of bombing Germany. This is a topic in itself. Neither do I wish to act as a Harris 'apologist'.

But 'Dresden' has become synonymous with 'Harris' as though this raid was some kind of maverick decision, prompted by personal bloodlust.

The reality is far more complex. It has been conclusively adjudged by recent historians ( eg Martin Gilbert, Henry Probert ) that the prime mover for this particular attack was Winston Churchill ( vide his infamous 'baste the Germans' memorandum of 25 Jan 45 ). The directive was queried by Harris' headquarters : Dresden was a long way to fly in winter and nothing was known about the defences.

The fate of Dresden was sealed at the Yalta conference on February 4th. Forcibly backed by Stalin in person, General Antonov insisted on Allied air attacks against Berlin, Dresden and Leipzig to hamper possible German troop movements to the East. Churchill agreed, and SHAEF ratified the order to Bomber Command.

On February 13th, weather conditions 'favoured' Dresden . . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.