30 replies to this topic

#1 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

Vancouver will welcome some 2,500 athletes to the 2010 Winter Olympics at Friday's opening ceremony.

BBC Sport - Vancouver 2010 - Winter Olympics 2010 set to begin in Vancouver

How many medals do you expect your country to receive?

I hope for seven. Two gold, three silver and two bronze. Main interests: Ice hockey, ski jumping, snowboarding....
Posted Image

#2 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:15 AM

AUSTRALIA will be lucky to win a single medal.....We may have to wait for someone to fall over again in short-track speed skating....we even have a new terminology to describe this type of win...."Doing a Bradbury"

If we can win more medals than New Zealand, we will have accomplished our mission!

Go OZZIE!
Llamas are bigger than frogs.:cool:

#3 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:27 AM

I watched the opening ceremonies, and noticed that China (the Chicom one) marched in with a large contingent, and Hong Kong entered a ONE (1) athlete team. What's up with that? I thought that Hong Kong was part of China, The People's Republic of in particular now....

And I think that the USA will walk away with several medals....

Edited by A-58, 02 March 2010 - 02:25 AM.

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#4 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:21 AM

sad start though! with the georgian luger fatal training accident...

#5 sunny971

sunny971

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:12 AM

it's so nice to see the olympics come here to Canada. The opening ceremony was quite amazing! showing our heritage and the beauty of our land. Quite patriotic. I like how they opened with our aboritional peoples welcoming the olympics to Vancouver. Very nicely presented. Finally the world can see what Canada is really all about. Let the games begin!!!!

Although, It's sad to hear about the sudden death of Georgian athlete Nodar Kumaritashvili. It was nice that the ceremony was dedicated in his memory. R.I.P.

oh yea, one last thing......

:mapleleaf::mapleleaf: GO CANADA GO !!! :mapleleaf::mapleleaf:

:olympics:

But keeping with the spirit of the olympics...Good Luck to all the athletes and countries around the world!

Edited by sunny971, 13 February 2010 - 11:03 AM.

• macrusk and Kruska like this
Regards, Suzie.

#6 Jaeger

Jaeger

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

Agreed on the Luge accident Ray.

You couldn't open a paper without them showing him beeing killed, quite unneccesary if you ask me.

I lost my brother in law three weeks ago in a car crash in a tunnel. I had to keep the wife away from the telly for a week.

On a more cheerful note, Ole Einar Bjørndalen could outdo Bjørn Dæhlie and be the greatest Olympian. He is such a likably guy, and I hope he does well.

Best of luck to all countries, and let us hope that the games will not be another doping shambles.
'We march. The enemy is retreating in transport. We follow on foot.' Lt.Neil McCallum 5/7 Gordons 19th November 1942

#7 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

so sorry to hear that jaeger, my heart goes out to you and your wife, that is very sad too hear. hopefully all goes well as you say, and echo! good luck, and be safe in giving it your best...ray..

#8 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

the worst thing is! they have been saying the course was unsafe for quite some time, which makes it hard to understand why it was deemed neccessary for such a course design that increased speed to such a point, and bend/bends became unsafe to take at speeds of 90mph? it became an issue and concern! to many..

#9 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

It would appear from this article that the officials did look into and investigate the fellow’s death, and found that it was "human error". They did modify the corner on which he met his end however.

Nodar Kumaritashvili, a 21-year-old slider from the republic of Georgia, died Friday after he crashed in the final curve. He was traveling at nearly 90 mph when he slammed into an unpadded steel support pole.

Officials also have modified the final curve where he crashed, erecting a wooden wall over the steel beams.
(emphasis mine)

Concerns about the lightning-fast course had been raised for months. There were worries that the $100 million-plus venue was too technically difficult, and a lack of significant practice time by everyone but the host nation's sliders would result in a rash of accidents.

The International Luge Federation and Vancouver Olympic officials said Friday night their investigation showed that the crash was the result of human error and there was "no indication that the accident was caused by deficiencies in the track."

See:

Luge officials delay training - Yahoo! News--

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#10 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

The luge track at the Whistler run has been modified slightly to lower the speeds of the racers. The men are starting lower down (the women's original line), and the women even further down the track.

Here is a link to the newest story I have seen on this, the action has reduced the men's speed to less than 90 mph.

Goto:

Olympic sliding resumes on fast track - Yahoo! News--
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#11 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:45 AM

IF we cannot trust these professional athletes to overcome adverse track conditions, we should shift the Olympic movement back to an amateur contest, (as De Corban envisaged) and make competitors sign an "at your own risk" disclaimer, just as you do when you bungee jump.

We wanted professionalism, and all we got were more bastard lawyers screaming COMPENSATION and licking their chops at the commissions.

Lawyers ruin everything....

I'm going to start a "Kill All the Legal Eagles" website....

#12 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:53 AM

My parents have family friends who live in Vancouver, and also own a house in Whistler. Those friends are currently staying down here with my parents, have rented out both homes for the duration of the Olympics, and are making a boatload of money off of it...and they're renting for cheap compared to some people!

HOI 3: Black ICE USA AAR

http://www.ww2f.com/...cracy-a-usaaar/

#13 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

Interesting day in Olympics Hockey:

USA-Switzerland 2-0

Russia-Canada 3-7

Finland-Czech Republic 2-0

Sweden-Slovakia 3-4
Posted Image

#14 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

An absolute embarrassing performance by the Russian hockey team against Canada. I was not a happy drunk last night!

This is the weakest Russian winter olympic team in history!
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#15 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,146 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:00 PM

Very interesting Kai. The Slovakia-Sweden score was a shocker to me. Of slightly less surprise was the wide margin of victory in the Canada-Russia game. I figured it to be an offensive explosion and much closer than it was.

The possibility of a Canada-US gold medal match is exciting.

image001.png

Lou

#16 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Ok, now are the brackets set as US v Finland, and Canada v Slovokia? Neither would seem to have a "walk" into the gold medal round if I'm remembering the setup correctly.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#17 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

Very interesting Kai. The Slovakia-Sweden score was a shocker to me. .

Agree completely. Almost as if they came out of no where.
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#18 macrusk

macrusk

Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:18 AM

And then tonight Canada beats the US in the Women's Gold Medal Hockey Game : The Cheap Seats One of the touching moments for me post the game was the applause, etc that the fans gave to the Finnish team, and especially to the U.S. team.

The Canadian men's team was watching and hopefully they are inspired for their next 2 games!
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:31 AM

Hello Macrusk,

and Congrats to Canada´s Women Hockey Team for taking gold!

The Finns managed to win the bronze after a struggle, but I must say I enjoyed the 2-1 goal for Finland by Karvinen when she went through the whole Swedish line-up and then tricked the goalie! Excellent performance.
Posted Image

#20 DocCasualty

DocCasualty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:20 AM

Wonderful Olympics to watch this year. Watching Finland and Slovakia decide the Bronze medal for Men's Hockey as I type. Really looking forward to tomorrow's Gold Medal game between US and Canada. It's going to be a barn burner!

Special congrats to Canada Men's Curling team on their Gold. Kevin Martin deserved that and a rightfully proud nation too!

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederic II of Prussia
"In 9 months and 3 days of combat on the Continent the 949th FA Bn had fired 51,000 rounds of ammunition, approximately 2,550 tons." - Unit History

#21 macrusk

macrusk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:31 AM

There have been lots of ups and downs, as well as particularly touching moments in this Olympics.

Tomorrow, is going to be a big day with US and Canada facing each other in Hockey for the Gold. It was a good day today for Italy winning their first medal since 1988.

We've had a few faux pa's - some not quite as extreme as portrayed, but then the media isn't usually happy unless there is controversy, and if there isn't, they'll inflame something so it is!

I've been blown away by the national pride being displayed by the Canadians, something that has been a groundswell in the last decade or so that has now reached extroverted proportions! It has been apparent even in the posts at the Forum, as the Canadians always make a big deal about being Canadian when we arrive!! We tend to be a little awkward with it though, and it usually occurs when our armed forces is at war....
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#22 Milleniumgorilla

Milleniumgorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:42 AM

It was a good day today for Italy winning their first medal since 1988.

Italy has won 5 Gold medals in 2006.

Congratulations to Canada for their first place in the medals table and for being such excellent hosts.

Grüße
Philipp

#23 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:52 AM

Our local newspaper is claiming that the gold medalist in freestyle skijumping, Lydia Lassila, has a 'Territory connection'. This fool of a newspaper links absolutely anything and everything to the Northern Territory of Australia...

"Crocodile bites man in Paris zoo....Territory Connection"

"Nuclear power station goes bust...Territory connection"

I declare this newspaper that we suffer from on a daily basis, The NT News, to be the absolute and all time WORST newspaper published anywhere on the globe. NOBODY 'reads' this squalid waste of paper, they simply 'glance' through it. I have never read anything in this excuse for printed toilet paper that would even qualify remotely as 'investigative journalism'. The text is full of slang, and forever trumpets what a 'great' place to live Darwin is. Property prices are through the roof for no apparent reason, basic foodstuffs cost more per here than anywhere in Australia, and if you aren't a member of the public service or in the armed forces, you're a nothing.

"And thats why Territorians can share in Lydia Lassila's gold medal performance at the Winter Olympics."

HA! What a joke! We don't have one flake of snow in the entire millions of square kilometers!

#24 macrusk

macrusk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:56 AM

Italy has won 5 Gold medals in 2006.

Congratulations to Canada for their first place in the medals table and for being such excellent hosts.

Grüße
Philipp

Sorry, I should have said first gold for men's alpine skiing since Toomba in 1988. Italy wins first Olympic gold as Razzoli takes men's slalom - USATODAY.com
Regards, Michelle

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#25 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:13 PM

The Finnish men´s hockey team did not play well at all against the US, and got what they deserved. Now though they can return proudly wearing bronze medals as they came back from 1-3 and won 5-3 against the Slovak team. Great comeback!

And yes, it´s great game later on tonight. The US team won the first match in the Olympics but as usua the Canadian team gets better all the time as the competition progresses...One game not to miss!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users