4 replies to this topic

#1 ostiles

ostiles

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:52 AM

My father, Owen Russell Stiles, began his WW2 experience in this battalion. His picture is first group picture on same page as 1st Lt Kilmer, co of battery D. Dad talked often of Fiji but nothing else. I think he was transferred to Mail Room on Fiji. Does anybody remember him. He had a spcial friendship with Rodger Young of 148th Infantry and a Harold Gruen.

#2 renzee

renzee

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

My user name is renzee.
I knew your father while in Fiji . We worked together in the V-Mail section of the post office. I came from Batt. B 135. There were others from B, and I kept in contact with some of them after the war. This was possible due to my job as a traveling engineer for my company. Several of them have since passed on. I was the youngest man there, and I am now 88. But yes I remember your father well. I remember his sadness when he was notified that his young child had passed away.

#3 renzee

renzee

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

Batt. D 135th FA was dropped from the 135th. rolls when the 37th Div. was made triangular Some members were assigned to the 135th. FA Battalion. The second battalion was reorganized as the 635 th tank destroyer. battalion.
That is how Owen Stiles ended up in Fiji rather than in Europe. I can pretty well tell you what happened to Stiles from there on out until early in 1943.

#4 ostiles

ostiles

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:49 AM

I realize that this is 2012 and you responded in 2010. Got busy and forgot to get back. What I am particularly interested in is what campaigns you would have participated in, or my dad, prior to getting into v-mail section.

#5 ostiles

ostiles

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

Batt. D 135th FA was dropped from the 135th. rolls when the 37th Div. was made triangular Some members were assigned to the 135th. FA Battalion. The second battalion was reorganized as the 635 th tank destroyer. battalion.
That is how Owen Stiles ended up in Fiji rather than in Europe. I can pretty well tell you what happened to Stiles from there on out until early in 1943.

I guess another question comes to mind- did dad get into the post office as you got into the pacific theater, or was there some combat action? I was born 31 July 1945 - two years on the same day as ROger Young was KIA - dad's friend from Ohio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users