Photo
- - - - -

German-American GI's Fighting In Germany During WWII and General Nazi Attitude Towards Them

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Obersturmführer

Obersturmführer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

Since Nazi racial ideology played such a big part in the regime's philosophy, what was the general attitude towards German-American GI stationed in Deutschland? Technically speaking, although American, having ancestors as late as actual parents for some would make them be considered Volksdeutsch. Yet the fact still remains that they are considered the enemy.

How was this rationalized to the German soldiers, that they could possibly be killing fellow Germans? Was there any propaganda specifically directed toward these Americans, in an effort to compromise their fighting spirit/will or perhaps make them change sides all together?

Ancestry is something very important to me, at least, and the idea of having to fight my own people would set me into a huge moral dilemma.

I would like to expand on this thought, so if someone could indulge me I would appreciate it. Even American public feeling about Germany during the rise of Hitler. I know many powerful Americans endorsed hitlers regime and believed he was bringing peace, and respect back to Germany.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] A POW is someone who try's to kill you, and fails - then he asks you not to kill him - Winston Churchill

#2 Kruska

Kruska

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

Ah… sorry I don’t quite get your point,

It was war, and one side wore Wehrmachtuniforms whilst the others had a different uniform. As such they were the enemy who was to be shot at. How should a Wehrmachtsoldier know that the “bubblegum chewing” fellow in an American uniform might be a German-American?

AFAIK, most German-Americans were send towards the Pacific rather than Europe.

Regards
Kruska
Imagine there is a WAR!!! - and your TV doesn't work

#3 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

Knowing that even 14-15 year old HJ kids were shot or hanged at the end for not doing their expected duties as expected in full , you can imagine captured ex-Germans in Ami uniforms had it rough ,bet many were shot immidiately after capture .
If im good informed it took up to recent times too for Germany to officially see deserted wehrmacht members no longer as just traitors too .

Edited by Heinrich, 24 February 2010 - 05:37 PM.

Im himmel gibt's kein bier !

#4 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

From what I've read captured soldiers were for the most part not singled out for different treatment than others of their nationality. IE Jewish Americans were pretty much treated like any other Americans. Certainly there were a lot of Americans with Germanic last names but nothing I've read indicates they were treated much worse than any other Americans. There does seem to have been some discrimination against French African POWs however.

#5 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:20 PM

AFAIK, most German-Americans were send towards the Pacific rather than Europe.

Regards
Kruska

I don't believe there was any attempt to send German-American troops to one theater or the other. Hermann Goering's nephew (Werner) flew B-17 missions over Germany remember, and Hitler's nephew Patric Hitler also served in the USN in the Atlantic.

A great many Japanese-Americans also served in the PTO as interpreters, only the combat troops were sent to the ETO. I don't think the German-Americans were separated out into segregated units, they were simply integrated into other existing units, much like the Hispanic-Americans were. There were only three "race" sections in the 1940 census for non-Asians; White, Negro, and Indian. Indian and White served together in all theaters, not just the "code-talkers" either.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#6 Kruska

Kruska

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

I don't believe there was any attempt to send German-American troops to one theater or the other. Hermann Goering's nephew (Werner) flew B-17 missions over Germany remember, and Hitler's nephew Patric Hitler also served in the USN in the Atlantic.......

Hello brndirt1,

I can't remember the source, but it was in conjunction towards explaining why such a large % of German-Americans were serving in the USMC.
The answer stated was - HQ felt more save in relegating German-Americans towards the Pacifc rather then to Europe.

Regards
Kruska

#7 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

I might conceed that in relation to the USMC, but since the Marines served mostly in the PTO that might be more anecdotal than a reality. I don't believe the USMC had a disproportionate number of German heritage persons, but they surely could have as they were seen as the elite and the only "professional" armed force of America which covered all aspects, sea, land, air.

Of those men of German ancestry who enlisted or were drafted after 1940 I would doubt there was any effort to "send the to the PTO". Unless you can come up with some documentation to support that view, outside of the USMC, I don't buy it. And the USMC wasn't a "draft" service until late in the war when enlistees got fewer and fewer. That was the only time in American history that the USN accepted "draftees" as well.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#8 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

IE Jewish Americans were pretty much treated like any other Americans.

Ex German citizens wearing an AMI uniform is something very different ..youre talking treason here wich was punished by the bullet ..on the spot mostly .
Maybe some got lucky , but I think most weren't . Those who previously held a german passport were definately in deep trouble.

Edited by Heinrich, 24 February 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#9 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

German citizens wearing an AMI uniform is something very different ..youre talking treason here wich was punished by the bullet ..on the spot mostly .
Maybe some got lucky , but I think most weren't .

And unless it was instigated by your own officers, such as Operation Grief under Skortzany (sp?) in which case the bullet would come from the Americans if caught. Risky business either way.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#10 Obersturmführer

Obersturmführer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

Great discussion however I think we're getting off my main point a bit here... I meant to stress Nazi racial ideology, such as the whole Viking/Aryan/Germanic superior race nonsense.. Since such creedance was given to this idea by leading Nazis, I just wondered if there was any little-known fact of some sort of practice or law that was instituted to give "preferable" treatment to persons of German descent? Do you think that Germany would have let German-American "resettle" in the Reich as the US did to them?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] A POW is someone who try's to kill you, and fails - then he asks you not to kill him - Winston Churchill

#11 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

No , i dont think so Oberst .
For instance: The male german refugees from before the war that German army found in Holland later during the war were sent to the camps too ,propably as traitors receiving 'special' care . The worst thing a german by birth could do was treason in NAZI eyes ,no way they would have rehabilated those , thats why I mentioned 'deserters' too .Many were called 'deserter' after surviving an attack and laying down arms ,as the orders were to the last man ...up untill pretty recently they were still officially seen as traitors .

see this article:
Nazi "war traitors" set to win general rehabilitation | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 27.08.2009
or:
Rehabilitation of 'Traitors' through the German Bundestag - WW2 in Color History Forum

NAZI's did embrace English and American 'refugees' before the war , for propaganda use mostly ,and they even had a special SS english group formed with their own SS cufflinks ..no idea btw if any of these Brit/American NAZI 'emigrants' survived the war ,cant find anything about them on the net , just some things about the most famous of those :Lord HawHaw.

One thing about Skorzeny's group: They wore American Uniforms over their jerry Uniforms ,wich were taken off as soon as they got into active combat to prevent them being shot when captured .A few were shot , true , but most werent .After the war court decided it was a legal action to do ,as there had been cases of allied troops who done the exact same thing .Pity for the three guys executed ,but thats casualty war looking at it now ...anyway : Skorzeny was found not to be in conflict with war regulations for doing so .They would have been found guilty if they hadn't put their real uniforms underneath the GI clothes .

Edited by Heinrich, 25 February 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#12 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

Ex German citizens wearing an AMI uniform is something very different ..youre talking treason here wich was punished by the bullet ..on the spot mostly .

Is it? If they are "Ex German citizens" I'm not at all sure that's the case. Note that at that time the US did not recognize dual citisenship. And as for on the spot how would the capturing troops know?

Maybe some got lucky , but I think most weren't . Those who previously held a german passport were definately in deep trouble.

Can you document that at all? Was their even an effort to find them? Note it wasn't like today with computerized records. Furthermore the captured individual was under no legal compulsion to mention his former identity.

#13 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:01 PM

LWD ..there have been thousands who fled germany and austria fromoff '38 (anschluss) and later in the war came back in AMI uniform (AMI means allied , not just american and most ex germans were in British uniform as they fled to england ..) Many were Jewish too.
As soon as one of these germans starts speaking english one can hear immediately theyre not American or British , the accent never goes away . As soon as one starts talking Jerry its very obvious if a soldier was an actual german before ..so it was easy picking those out .. and youre very naive to expect a written report about that as were talking about war crimes . Those will be in the books as just killed in action offcourse but you bet these people were helped a bit to become a statistic number ..i think its pretty obvious it went like that .

Soldiers with a german name or of german ancestry from the US were treated like normal POW 's same as Jewish soldiers in uniform ,no i meant real germans (and Autrians offcourse!!)

Those who came to Holland had a rough time when the Jerry's finally came ..and had it difficult too finding a hiding place as resistance was very sceptic towards these people .After all they might be spies , and yea , some really were , already forming a 5th colonne . Would not be surpised if some of these refugee people were executed by resistance people too just to be shure. Its just the very lucky ones that finally made it to England ..

Edited by Heinrich, 25 February 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#14 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

LWD ..there have been thousands who fled germany and austria fromoff '38 (anschluss) and later in the war came back in AMI uniform (AMI means allied , not just american and most ex germans were in British uniform as they fled to england ..) Many were Jewish too.

Do you have any good info on the numbers?

As soon as one of these germans starts speaking english one can hear immediately theyre not American or British , the accent never goes away .

Indeed in some parts of the US and Canada the population still has a German accent. Which brings up the question of how you differentiate between someone raised in a German speaking house hold and an immagrant.

As soon as one starts talking Jerry its very obvious if a soldier was an actual german before

Really? I'm not so sure. from what I've heard there were quite few dialects/accents in Germany at that time. How many Germans were familiar with all of them? And why would a POW start talking in German?

..so it was easy picking those out ..

Really? I'm not at all convinced of that.

and youre very naive to expect a written report about that as were talking about war crimes . Those will be in the books as just killed in action offcourse but you bet these people were helped a bit to become a statistic number ..i think its pretty obvious it went like that .

Why? There are written records of far worse things. In this case one would think they would actually want to make a point of it. Furthermore the unit doing the capturing has little incentive to sepereate out POWs into any sort of grouping along this sort of lines. Once they get a ways back the records are already there. It sounds to me like you have made up your mind without any evidence and aren't even willing to look for any.

#15 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

A) im not deaf ..
B) you can use google ..
C) I still think you have no idea how german sounds when spoken by the native tongue and how the nazi mind towards germans who defected their country was ..and for some still is.
What is it with you people being so keen on numbers and statistics? Is it so hard to imagine the nazi's thoughd that way??
Met a few of these guys LWD and let me tell you , its was a lot worse in real as i describe .Remember those guys were formed with this motto : Du bist nichts , dein land ist alles .

Again ..i'm no nazi ..but i do study them ..and do that well ..so yea ..have a pretty good idea how this issue was looked upon , first hand , not from osprey bookies .

Edited by Heinrich, 25 February 2010 - 03:11 PM.

#16 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:20 PM

A) im not deaf ..

Did I say you were? If you are talking about the font. Somehow my post started showing multiple fonts and sizes so I picked one. Turned out to be a bit larger than normal but that actually works better for my eyes.

B) you can use google ..

So you are just voicing an opinion and one based on little or no evidence?
You are the proponent at this point. One expects a proponent of a postion to be able to support it.

C) I still think you have no idea how german sounds when spoken by the native tongue

Then you are wrong. Which not only doesn't make your case any stronger it actually weakens it. I have heard recordings of Platt Deutch that sound very much like American English only the words are wrong. My high school German teacher made a point of teaching us something of the regional dialects of German. By the way he grew up in a comunity in the Dakota's where German was very commonly used.

and how the nazi mind towards germans who defected their country was ..and for some still is.

But the questions are just where these nazis were in respect to the prisoners, what they knew, and what they had been told to do. Furthermore you have a vast ccompendium of cases here. You have people who left Germany as childred and or left years before and those who left recently. Then there's the fact that the Nazis encouraged some to emigrate.

What is it with you people being so keen on numbers and statistics?

I don't come to these discussions to voice an uniformed opinion or to read them. I hope to learn something. If you don't have any real data to base an opinion on then it carries little weight.

Is it so hard to imagine the nazi's thoughd that way??

No but my imagination isn't a very strong foundation to build an arguement on.

.... Remember those guys were formed with this motto : Du bist nichts , dein land ist alles ..

Which means if their superiors decided it was a bad idea or even implied it was then they shouldn't be taking unilateral action vs POWs and for the most part the Germans treated western POWs fairly well.

#17 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

Sorry about the font ..didnt realize I was talking to an older person .
I have no meaning to be disrespectfull to you LWD .

I agree german army treated most western POW respectfull , but also not all .Think from shotdown bomber crews a lot were made a lot into a statiscal number also ..
how would i know if these crews ever came down alive ..those are recorded simply KIA too .
If you ask a russian or polish member he'll tell you a different story about how the germans treated them ...a very different picture comes to light then.
Ask any ex agent who was captured how decent they treated those ..anything but human . I know how they treated my grandpa ..statiscal number also ..died from disease in a nasty camp officially (it says on the death certificate ,but its highly doubtfull...especially now we that know what really happened in Neuengamme)...so what proof do want to see here ??

If I state a german can easily hear where youre from talking german what proof do i need to give on that ? If i would say theres more as 200,000 who fled , what difference does it make to the nazi opinion about them?
The things NAZi's did record is mostly against crimes against civilians ..they also agreed to respect POW's but still they shot many too.

Why would someone be able to hide his background speaking english when he cant speak the language well as hes in england only for a few years ?? Obvious that the accent immidiately raises questions and pretty soon interogators would know where you were actually from ..if it even came sofar at all .They had their ways of make a person talk wether he wanted or not .
You already say explicit western POW's , to russians and the poles they were horrible .To resistance fighters too.
And thats just the milder form of treatment they gave to traitors .
Superiors ,well all were formed using the same ideology .Im afraid you get hopeless lost in finding numbers here , but simply saying something is no true unless its on paper is thing i only run into problems with americans mostly ,thats why im wondering what the thing is with their obsession on statistics ..they proof zilch .
Last time i heard statistics and facts were so important was with saddam about proven weapons of mass destruction , pictures and all in reports..and what we learned of that ? That it was all lies? I'm not a historian nor a teacher ..just someone with a good set of brains and a highly critical attitude towards some 'facts'.

Edited by Heinrich, 25 February 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#18 lwd

lwd

Ace

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

[quote name='Heinrich']...
I agree german army treated most western POW respectfull , but also not all .Think from shotdown bomber crews a lot were made a lot into a statiscal number also ..
[/quote]
My understanding was that things weren't that bad once they were under the authority of the German military. Civilians and the GESTAPO were another matter. But POWs captured in battle are going to be under military control from the very beginning. My impression is that you were in more danger if it was SS rather than Heer or Luftwaffe but in any case the front line troops aren't likely to take the time to try and figure out your national origin and once you are in rear echelons in general paperwork rules.
[quote]
If you ask a russian or polish member he'll tell you a different story about how the germans treated them ...a very different picture comes to light then.
[/quote]
Indeed there's no question that things were worse for those captured in the east. Things also got worse as the war went on in part due simply to the deteriating conditions (this is hardly unique by the way look at Andersonvill)
[quote]
.... I know how they treated my grandpa ..statiscal number also ..died from disease in a nasty camp officially (it says on the death certificate ,but its highly doubtfull...especially now we that know what really happened in Neuengamme)...so what proof do want to see here ??
[/quote]
Perhaps not all that unlikely although there's a good chance it was more or less intentional. Why go to the bother of killing someone when they were dieing anyway. Being prisoners they would be consuming much in the way of medicines and I wouldn't be surprised if someone who was sick in one of the camps had their already meager food ration cut.
[quote]
If I state a german can easily hear where youre from talking german what proof do i need to give on that ?
[/quote]
Because it's not at all clear that that was the case in WWII Germany. My understanding is that the "accents" had progressed almost to the point of being "dialects" now if one was familiar with most of them one could place people with considerable accuracy but one of the reasons these develop is people aren't in general exposed to them (out side of their own for instance). So could someone from East Prussia really tell the difference from the speach of someone from near the Dutch border as opposed to someone who grew up in a German speaking household in North Dakota? Especially if that person were speaking English only or mostly?
[quote]
If i would say theres more as 200,000 who fled , what difference does it make to the nazi opinion about them?
[/quote]
It has a bearing on how often it may have happened or perhaps on how serious a problem the Germans thought it was. Say your 200,000 did flee. Then probably less than 70,000 would be males capable of serveing. Since they would probably not be subject to the draft that means perhaps only a few thousand would actually volenteer. Now looking at:
GI -- World War II Commemoration
The US army had a total of a bit over 11,000,000 men serving in WWII with 136,000 taken prisoner. That means a bit over 1% became POWs now considering most allied (British and American in particular) revereses were early in the war and it would seem likely that security concerns would preclude recent immagrants serving early in the war we're down to hundreds at most of such incidents and likely 10s. Indeed it may have been rare enough that it is hard to form any justied conclusions outside specific documents detailing what to do in such circumstances. Also note from: HyperWar: Army Battle Casualties and Nonbattle Deaths in WW II [Battle Casualties] only about 70% of USA fatalities occured in Europe POWs were probably distributed in a similar maner.
[quote]
The things NAZi's did record is mostly against crimes against civilians ..they also agreed to respect POW's but still they shot many too.
[/quote]
But the cases I'm familiar with were either when someone considered it a military expediant, an escape attempt, or the GESTAPO was involved. In none of them was nationality a criteria.
[quote]
Why would someone be able to hide his background speaking english when he cant speak the language well as hes in england only for a few years ??
[/quote]
Why would the British or US army allow someone who couldn't speak English to serve with a front line unit where their lack would be a danger to both them and those around them when they could be very useful translating documents and such for intellegence types? Also consider that he US in particular was known to be a nation of immagrants. Just because your English isn't great doesn't mean you come from Germany.
[quote]Obvious that the accent immidiately raises questions and pretty soon interogators would know where you were actually from ..if it even came sofar at all .They had their ways of make a person talk wether he wanted or not .
[/quote]
Depending on who you were and where you were captured and by who perhaps. But also consider that if you were known to be a POW by other POWs just dissapearing could be akward. Indeed late in the war one really didn't want to give Western forces a reason to not want to take you prisoner considering that it was already clear that surrendeirng to Soviet forces was not exactly a carreer enhancing move.
[quote]
And thats just the milder form of treatment they gave to traitors .
[/quote]
But would these individuals be viewed as traitors? Especially as a fair number were encouraged to emigrate?
[quote]
... but simply saying something is no true unless its on paper is thing i only run into problems with americans mostly ,thats why im wondering what the thing is with their obsession on statistics ..they proof zilch .
[/quote]
I didn't say it was not true unless it's on paper. What I meant to get across is we have no real idea of whether or not it is true unless we have evidence. Actual documents are one, statistics are another, personal accounts would be another. But at this point we have none. And statistics may often not prove anything but they can often disprove things or provide a very strong foundation for or against them.
[quote]
Last time i heard statistics and facts were so important was with saddam about proven weapons of mass destruction , pictures and all in reports..and what we learned of that ? That it was all lies? I'm not a historian nor a teacher ..just someone with a good set of brains and a highly critical attitude towards some 'facts'.[/QUOTE]
If you want to know the turth facts and statistics are important. If you just want to spout your opinion well they don't matter that much.

In case you haven't guessed I don't care much for "talk radio".

#19 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

One problem for captured aircrew was if they ditched their uniforms and tried to flee occupied territory in "civies" they could be turned over to the tender mercies of the GESATPO, and tried as spies. A few American and British were treated this way if my memory serves me correctly.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#20 Spaniard

Spaniard

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:53 PM

I got this from http://wiki.answers...._in_World_War_2

Number of US Soldiers and Sailors in WW2

Here are three different answers:
  • Approximately 16 million men and women served in the US Military during WW 2.
  • 11 million. Out of them, 7 million were sent to the army. 671,485 U.S. Soldiers were wounded and 450,670 U.S. soldiers died.
  • TOTAL NUMBER IN UNITED STATES FORCES DURING WW2
ARMY: 8,300,000
NAVY: 4,204,662
MARINES: 599,693
GRAND TOTAL: 13,104,355
TOTAL US CASUALTIES:
ARMY:
KILLED IN ACTION: 223,215
WOUNDED: 571,679
MISSING: 12,752
TOTAL ARMY CASULITES: 807,646
NAVY:
KILLED IN ACTION: 34,702
DIED OF WOUNDS: 1,783
OTHER DEATHS: 26,793
TOTAL NAVY DEATHS: 63,278
WOUNDED: 33,670
MISSING: 28
TOTAL NAVY CASUALTIES: 96,976
MARINES
KILLED IN ACTION: 15,460
DIED OF WOUNDS: 3,163
OTHER DEATHS: 5,863
TOTAL MARINE DEATHS: 24,486
WOUNDED: 67,134
TOTAL MARINE CAUALTIES: 91,620
GRAND TOTAL KILLED IN ACTION IN ARMY, NAVY, MARINES 273,377
DIED OF WOUNDS LATER: 4,946
OTHER DEATHS: 32,656
TOTAL DEATHS: 310,979
MISSING: 12,780
WOUNDED: 672,483
GRAND TOTAL CASUALTIES IN ARMY, NAVY, MARINES: 996,242
(AIR FORCES ARE INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE BRANCHES. US COAST Guard HAD 172,952 MEN ENGAGED, 1,917 DEATHS OF WHICH 572 WERE KILLED IN ACTION.)
THIS DATA IS FROM MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOK "THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF WWII" ARMED SERVICES MEMORIAL EDITION, CO. 1945 1948
%DETAILS%

Answer

16,354,000 men & women served in the U.S. Armed Forces during WW 2. This number includes members of the Army, Army Air Corps, Navy & Marines.

Richard V. Horrell WW 2 Connections.com

Answer

TOTAL NUMBER IN UNITED STATES FORCES DURING WW2 ARMY:8,300,000
NAVY:4,204,662
MARINES: 599,693.
GRAND TOTAL 13,104,355
TOTAL US CASUALTIES:ARMY: 223,215 KILLED IN ACTION;WOUNDED 571,679;MISSING 12,752;TOTAL ARMY CASULITES 807,646. NAVY; KILLED IN ACTION 34,702; DIED OF WOUNDS 1,783; OTHER DEATHS 26,793; TOTAL NAVY DEATHS 63,278;WOUNDED 33,670 MISSING 28; TOTAL NAVY CASUALTIES 96,976. MARINES; KILLED IN ACTION 15,460 DIED OF WOUNDS 3,163; OTHER DEATHS 5,863; TOTAL MARINE DEATHS 24,486; WOUNDED 67,134; TOTAL MARINE CAUALTIES 91,620.GRAND TOTAL KILLED IN ACTION IN ARMY NAVY MARINES 273,377.DIED OF WOUNDS LATER 4,946;OTHER DEATHS 32,656; TOTAL DEATHS 310,979. MISSING 12,780; WOUNDED 672,483; GRAND TOTAL CASUALTIES IN ARMY,NAVY,MARINES, 996,242.(AIR FORCES ARE INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE BRANCHES. US COAST GUARD HAD 172,952 MEN ENGAUGED,1,917 DEATHS OF WHICH 572 WERE KILLED IN ACTION.) THIS DATA IS FROM MY ALL TIME FAVORITE BOOK "THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF WWII" ARMED SERVICES MEMORIAL EDITION......CO.1945 1948

It's also to be noted that 350,000 American women served in the military during World War II

Figures for women serving with the American military in World War II:
  • Army - 140,000
  • Navy - 100,000
  • Marines - 23,000
  • Coast Guard - 13,000
  • Air Force - 1,000
  • Army and Navy Nurse Corps - 74,000
More than 1,000 women served as pilots associated with the US Air Force in the WASP (Women Airforce Service Pilots) but were considered civil service workers, and weren't recognized for their military service until the 1970s. Britain and the Soviet Union also used significant numbers of women pilots to support their air forces.
As with every war, where there are military bases, there were also prostitutes. Honolulu's "sporting girls" were an interesting case. After Pearl Harbor, some houses of prostitution -- which were then located near the harbor -- served as temporary hospitals, and many of the "girls" came to wherever they were needed to nurse the injured. Under martial law, 1942-1944, prostitutes enjoyed a fair amount of freedom in the city -- more than they'd had before the war under civilian government. Near many military bases, reputed "victory girls" could be found, willing to engage in sex with military men without charge. Many were younger than 17. Military posters campaigning against venereal disease depicted these "victory girls" as a threat to the Allied military effort -- an example of the old "double standard," blaming the "girls" but not their male partners for the danger.

Edited by Spaniard, 25 February 2010 - 07:30 PM.

Those that have Evolved will sooner or later
run out of Ammo, and will be at the Merci
from the One who still carries as back up a
34" Warrior Wakizashi Knife!

#21 Heinrich

Heinrich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

I give up here LWD ..youre making talk radio of a sketched scenario no european would doubt ...wish U luck finding those stats ..they arent there .
About pilots ..many were found and picked up by civvies who led them into resistance networks ..many were (unexpedtedly ) saved this way ..think more of those crew who came down after a raid above cities ..bet many werent cheered at when on the ground , but its all talk radio to some theoretici ..

Just read a whole list figures too saying absolutely nothing about aNazi attitude , srry ..
But it does proof what Spaniard says : wich numbers ??

Edited by Heinrich, 25 February 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#22 marc780

marc780

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

I don't believe there was any attempt to send German-American troops to one theater or the other. Hermann Goering's nephew (Werner) flew B-17 missions over Germany remember, and Hitler's nephew Patric Hitler also served in the USN in the Atlantic.

I have read much about Hitler but never heard he had an American nephew...source?

#23 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

I have read much about Hitler but never heard he had an American nephew...source?

Patrick Hitler had immigrated to the US with his mother who had been married to Adolf's step-brother Alois. Bridgette had been separated from Alois, and he (Alois) had re-married in Germany and become a bigamist in doing so. Shortly afterwards, Bridgette and Patrick came to the US and toured making speaking tour appearances degrading Hitler.

Just google up William Patrick Hitler and you can get the story, he wasn't an "American" nephew like Werner Goering, he was a nephew who had moved to America and enlisted in the USN to fight against his uncle.

Here is a link to a WW2 magazine article about the fellow:

http://www.historyne...t-the-reich.htm
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#24 Kruska

Kruska

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:22 AM

One has to differentiate between a German who had left Germany, before the war due to political reasons (and as such maybe being listed by the Gestapo) and those “normal’ emigrants.
A German-American GI wearing a US uniform, certainly was no more a German citizen. As such upon becoming a PoW, he would have been run through the files or upon becoming suspicious due to his name or German accent – his past would have been thoroughly examined.
If it was proven that he was posted on the Gestapo list – he probably wasn’t shot but send to a KZ for sure. If he was not on the list he was a PoW just like anyone else.
There are numerous Americans and British who had died in KZ’s – check KZ Flossenbuerg and you will get a good picture about US and British PoW’s who died there.
There are also numerous accounts of American Bomber crewmembers that had been beaten to death or shot by civilians and soldiers.

Regards
Kruska
  • Mehar likes this

#25 36thID

36thID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 04:09 AM

Our family immigrated from Germany to America in the mid 1840's. They were part of what is called The Bremmen Flotila.

German Lutherans left Germany for religious freedom. They brought the German migrants up through New Orleans, not Ellis Island, New York. The Germans were riverbottom farmers and America needed productive farms. From the Missisippi and Missouri river valley you'll find Germantown, TN, Stuttgart, ARK, Herman, MO.. etc... All old German towns

My 7 uncles in WW2 fought as Americans and never had a second thought. My one uncle that was KIA on 12/12/1944 in The Voges Mountain area in France. If he had lived a few months later.... He would of marched through our hometown in Germany !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users