Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German sailor who refused to obey Nazi orders to blow up Bordeaux dies aged 91 . . . in France

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by PzJgr, Feb 25, 2010.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

A wartime German sailor who refused to obey a command to blow up the French port of Bordeaux for his Nazi masters has died at the age of 91 - in his adopted homeland of France.

Heinz Stahlschmidt was that rare thing in the Third Reich; a man who followed his conscience instead of his orders when the tide of war began to fall back on the regime he served.

By his actions he not only saved thousands of lives, but a vital component of the post-war economic recovery of France.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1253775/German-sailor-Heinz-Stahlschmidt-refused-Nazi-orders-blow-Bordeaux-dies-aged-91.html#ixzz0gbBA04jd

Kai-Petri and 107thcav like this.
  2. 107thcav

107thcav Member

God bless him for his actions. I was wondering did France bestow many of these Legion d'Honneur out to Germans? Great story especially liked the fact that French vets stuck up for him for the award.

3. Kruska

Kruska Member

In contra to Cholitz who didn't kill anyone by ignoring orders, I am amazed that the new German government did not ask for Stahlschmidt to be extradited in order to be placed on trial for the murder on German soldiers.

Regards
    Kruska

4. efestos

efestos Member

I don't think they wanted to do that, would not have worked, Heinz became French citizen in 1947, France and any other European country except Britain does not extradite its own citizens.