Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Drugs In WW2

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by BWfVA, Mar 29, 2010.

1. BWfVA

BWfVA recruit

I am new here and I am doing a research paper for school. I am need some help finding some reliable sources to back up what I already know and some I might not. So any help on sources of reliable information preferably from a online datebase article or book I can see online or get a copy of relativly quick. I also need some help with WW1 as well any information that can be backed up is very much appricated

Thanks

2. BWfVA

BWfVA recruit

So nobody has any information to help me out

3. Mehar

Mehar Ace

4. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Hi I can Help; Hitler's Drugged German Soldiers used Pervitin, a stimulant commonly known as speed today, which was the German army's wonder drug. It was first introduced in 1938, a methamphetamine drug newly developed by the Berlin-based Temmler pharmaceutical company.Pervitin was generally viewed as a proven drug to be used when soldiers were likely to be subjected to extreme stress.

[​IMG]

In January 1942, a group of 500 German soldiers stationed on the eastern front and surrounded by the Red Army were attempting to escape. The temperature was minus 30 degrees Celsius. A military doctor assigned to the unit wrote in his report that at around midnight , six hours into their escape through snow that was waist-deep in places, "more and more soldiers were so exhausted that they were beginning to simply lie down in the snow." The group's commanding officers decided to give Pervitin to their troops. "After half an hour," the doctor wrote, "the men began spontaneously reporting that they felt better. They began marching in orderly fashion again, their spirits improved, and they became more alert."

Wonderdrugs and the Wehrmacht : methamphetamine and the German war machine

Nazis tested cocaine on camp inmates Nazi researchers used concentration camp inmates to test a cocaine-based "wonder drug" they hoped would enhance the performance of German troops

Nazi research into a "devil's snuff"-based wonderdrug D-IX: a cocaine, methamphetamine and opioid cocktail

During World War II (1939–1945), soldiers used amphetamines to maintain alertness during combat. In the years following the war, many service personnel had trouble functioning without the drug. The Bottom Link has a PDF you can download.

Amphetamines - Usage Spikes after World War II: Encyclopedia of Drugs and Addictive Substances

Meth was also used and abused in WWII see WWII Forum Link for info

Meth abuse in WWII - World War II Forums

Drug Use and Addiction in War

http://www.highestfive.com/combat/drug-use-and-addiction-in-war/

Hope all these Links helps