Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Panzer IV vs M4

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by Alpha_Cluster, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Alpha_Cluster

Alpha_Cluster Member

What tank is better (do you think) Panzer IV or the M4?

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

which variant ?

3. Srdo

Srdo Member

Erich is right, be a little bit more specific because both tanks had many variants.

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

My vote would be for the Pz. IV H or J model with the long barrel 7.5cm weapon The M4 would have the greater speed but higher profiled target....

5. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Definately the Panzer IV. It had a wider track, so its weight was better distributed. Its profile was shorter, it was as reliable, much more fire power (with a long-barrelled 75mm gun) and better armour.

6. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

If we send the "best" versions of both tanks into the contest (of course, this is also a relative matter), it is a tough question.

Friedrich has stated the advantages of the Panzer IV. But the Sherman was faster, had a stabilized cannon, despite the height better shape and is often referred to as the more reliable tank.

I consider the match a rough tie, as everybody seems to favor the IV, I have voted for the Sherman.

7. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The M-4 was definitely the superior of the two vehicles. It proved far more adaptable (in good part due to the selection of a fairly large turret ring) than the Pz IV. Gunwise, there isn't much to choose between the two. The 76/50 is roughly as good as the 75/48 and both had lower velocity 75mm guns originally that proved useful during the earlier stages of the war.
    And, there was a wartime variant that mounted a 90/50 that was cancelled due to the M-26 coming into production. That model could have been available shortly after D-Day had it been ordered into production. A turreted Pz IV lacked the capacity to accept a weapon that large. Of course, post war the Israelis managed to shoehorn a 105 high velocity gun into it as well, not to mention the 105 models used in WW II.
    The Sherman has far better turret traverse, being both faster and smoother with better fine movement control. This ensured a good Sherman crew was going to get the first shot in more of the time. The gyroscopic stabilizer was a useful addition when the crews bothered to learn to use and maintain it.
    In terms of reliability again, the Sherman has a very distinct advantage. The tracks on the M-4 have several times the life of those on a Pz IV, the engine is both more reliable and easier to maintain. The Sherman's design also allowed the use of several different engines using both diesel and gasoline.
    Up armoring proved more possible on the Sherman than the Pz IV too. The late models were about as heavily armored as they were likely to get at 80 or so millimeters on the front. The M4A3E2 'Jumbo' had 152+ mm on the front and side and rear armor almost up to Tiger I levels.
    With improvements in suspension the Sherman's cross country performance continued to improve. The change to the 23" HVSS suspension puts it on par with the Pz IV. The earlier initial VVSS suspensions were no worse than those on early model Pz IV's either.
    The Sherman also had fewer shot traps and better slope and distribution of its armor at least over the foward arc. With wet storage the Sherman was no more likely to burn when hit than a Pz IV either.
    If you add in the use of HVAP ammunition the 76mm Sherman isn't all that bad as a tank killer and certainly has a big edge over a Pz IV.

rkline56 likes this.
  8. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Well, at least this one is a hardly measureable advantage... maybe the Panzer IV could have worked with a diesel engine, too? We'll never know, as the Germans didn't try. [​IMG]

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

T.A. definitely proves his point but still "my heart" goes with the Pz IV, especially the long barrell version...

10. BratwurstDimSum

BratwurstDimSum Member

Does the M4 designation include the "Firefly"? If so the M4 will kick the IV back to the Rhineland. Othewise I vote the IV.

11. Alpha_Cluster

Alpha_Cluster Member

US M-4 and vars

12. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Certainly a 'Firefly' and a late version of the Panzer IV would have definately been a very tight duel! :eek: It would have been up to the crew's capabilities and training (which were superior on the German side)...

Certainly, I've read about some veterans who state that the Panzer IV was the best tank to face Shermans, since it could move almost as easily as them, or at least had better speed and manœuvrability than 'Panthers' or 'Tigers'.

13. Alpha_Cluster

Alpha_Cluster Member

hay does anyone know the speed of a late war pz IV

14. T. A. Gardner

For the H/J models it was down to 23 mph.

15. Srdo

Srdo Member

Pz IV F2 and Pz IV G could make 40 km/h and Pz IV H and Pz IV J could make 38 km/h. Of course, those speeds were possible only on good road, cross-country performance was poorer.

16. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Cross-country was around 16kph.

17. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Sorry, but I can hardly believe this.

First of all, the Firefly gun was a dignified counterpart to the Panther and Tiger guns, far superior to the Panzer IV L48.
    Secondly, maneuverability is one thing, firepower and armor the other, and certainly Panthers and Tigers had a far better score against Shermans, than Panzer IV.

However, the Firefly was a British product, and I do not count it as M4 to take part in the poll.

18. T. A. Gardner

Well, let's compare:

Firepower: Both have two machine guns mounted, one in the hull, one coaxially.
    The Sherman gun-wise:

75/40: 103mm at 100 yds, 91 at 500, 76 at 1000.
    76/50: 142mm at 100 yds, 131 at 500, 110 at 1000.
    w/ HVAP: 213mm at 100 yds, 188 at 500, 163 at 1000.

The Pz IV:
    75/48: 143mm at 100 yds, 130 at 500, 117 at 1000.

Armor: (slope is accounted for in all figures)
    Sherman (M4A3 wet):
    Turret:
    Front: 84 mm, side: 51, rear: 51 Gun mantle:84
    Hull:
    Front: 102mm, side: 45, rear: 45mm

Pz IV:
    Turret:
    Front: 55mm, side: 36, rear: 36 Mantle: 80
    Hull:
    Front: 88mm, side: 30, rear: 33
    Of course, this doesn't account for the brittleness of late war German armor due to lack of proper alloying agents. The armor is really effective at about 90 - 95 % of the thickness shown. Also, near penetrations will often shatter the armor (as will penetrating hits) causing far more lethal damage to the interior of the vehicle.

In mobility there is little to choose between the two. They are almost equally matched.
    The Sherman is about 2 to 3 times as reliable.
    As I pointed out earlier, the Sherman has a much faster turret rotation than the Pz IV H. The Pz IV J had power traverse removed and the donkey engine deleted. It is purely a manual traverse system. This means in an encounter the Sherman (assuming equal spotting) will get the first shot in. With either gun, a hit will almost always knock out a Pz IV out to about 1000 yards.
    With HVAP issued there is no contest. Even a Panther is in trouble if the Sherman shoots first.
    The Sherman can also be used as an indirect fire artillery piece, something the Pz IV cannot do.
    On the whole, the Pz IV is slightly inferior in almost every category to a Sherman and in some it is significantly inferior.
    If the M4A3E2 Jumbo is compared, there is no contest. The Pz IV cannot achieve a frontal penetration and, cannot penetrate the turret from any angle. The Jumbo is in roughly the same position versus a Pz IV that a Tiger is when attacking Shermans.

19. TA152

TA152 Ace

I vote for the Pz.IV in part because the German tank crews were better trained and had much more experience than Allied crews in a Sherman. The German tank Generals were better overall also and that makes a huge difference in how the tank is used in battle.

I think the US Army should have produced the T-34 under licence and scrapped the Sherman along with the M-3, but that is not part of the poll. :D

20. KnightMove

KnightMove Ace

Indeed it's strange... I have seen PIV/M4, M4/T34 and T34/PIV discussion threads several times, but never ever one involving all three tanks. [​IMG]

I don't think it's worthy to start a new thread for this, so what do you all think comparing T-34/M4?

And maybe... what about the Cromwell? [​IMG]