Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Color me shocked,...

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by brndirt1, May 14, 2010.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Color me shocked to my socks, the Celtics got by "King James" and the Cavs with much less difficulty than I ever expected. I could have lost money betting on the Cavs, I really figured this was their year. Almost took a 2:1 on them to meet the Lakers in the Championship, then chickened out; wheeew.

Don't expect the Boston boys to get by the Magic though, but I've been wrong about everything else this year. The Spurs fall to the Suns in four? The Jazz "phone in their four games" and don't even show up against L.A.? The Hawks fall seemingly without a fight? Wazzup?

Never expected too much from the Trailblazers, or the Thunder, but the HAWKS. I thought they looked better than that all year long, but then again so did the Cavs. Best season of all time, and out in the second round? As the pundits always say, "that is why they play the games!"

formerjughead likes this.
  2. Fallschirmjäger 1

Fallschirmjäger 1 Member

Oh the Cavs...that's still the news here in Cleveland. I'm so glad I missed the last game. Game 5 was just horrible. LeBron just completely blew it, and they just didn't seem to try. I've never been a true fan of LeBron, I love the Cavs and I love what he's done for them, but he's a baby. He whines about every call no matter what and he's even says he only wants to win. It's nice that he wants to win, but what about all he's done for Cleveland. He was born and raised here (ok Akron, an hour away), but he doesn't really seem to care if he does well here or in New York (or Chicago, Miami, New Jersey?), just as long as he wins.

Ok rant over. It was nice to see the Thunder not only make the playoffs but challenge the Lakers too. I don't know how much more I'm going to follow this season, I've been paying more attention to baseball, but I'd like to see the Suns pull it all off.

3. revbucky

revbucky Member

I too was shocked by the Cavs loss, but Boston has been playing much better in the playoffs.

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Boston is playing at an elevated level going into the playoffs, they certainly man-handled the Orlando team in the first game. The same for LA, they just thumped the Suns.

We might be heading for another Lakers v Celtics final, and in that case I'll be cheering for the Celts. I haven't had any love for the L.A. guys since the days of "Magic", Cooper, and Kareem. And even then I was conflicted since I was also a fan of Bird and the Boston crew.

formerjughead likes this.
  5. texson66

texson66 Ace

The Lakers always seem to be playing underwater until the issue of the playoffs come up. I admit I am a Lakers fan, but I have to say Nash was inspiring the first half. (I didnt get to watch the last half...normal wake up is 5:10 AM!) And Kobe played much better than I thought he would based on his right knee injury.

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Well, now that was a hard-fought game last night, but the Celtics survived and are taking a two game winning edge home to Bean Town. It is looking more and more like a Lakers v Celtics championship again.

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

At least the west is producing some challenge for the Lakers, the Suns did quite nicely at home thank you very much. At this rate the LA team might end up a bit "pooped" by the time they face the Celtics. Unless the Bean Town Boys have a complete melt down, they will have a nice long rest before facing any team from the west.

8. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I don't see the Magic coming back to win 4 straight. As good as Dwight Howard has been, the rest of his team has certainly laid down. Vince Carter, another playoff flop. And how much money did we pay for Lewis? Its one thing to beat up crap teams in the first two rounds, but you'd think that as good as they were playing they'd make things close with Boston.

Who knows, maybe The King will come to his senses and move to Orlando...that would make quite the team!

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Well, Musso at least they took it to OT last night and got the win. Now how that holds up at home is the next question. At least the Magic made a series out of the thing and didn't just roll over and play dead.

The Boston team's aging legs sure could have used a LONG rest between the Magic and the next opponent whomever that is. Both the west representatives are a "generally" younger squad, that is supposing that they don't collapse and let the Magic continue into the Championship.

At least they made it an interesting game last night and not another "yawner" that I just switched between channels on. I mean I would look in every now and then in game three just to see if it was a "game" yet. Didn't even "stay for the end".

10. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I didn't see the game (roomie was watching TV, I was playing Red Dead Redemption) but from what I read, Boston couldn't have played more poorly. The Magic barely eeped out the win, and V.Carter and Lewis were still no shows. Dwight 'The Beast/Superman' Howard had another amazing game as did Nelson...but the season will be over tomorrow night if Lewis and Carter don't show up.

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Well that is pretty accurate, Rhondo picke up three fouls in a hurry, then started getting (or claiming) back-spasms. As the final quarter unfolded you could see Pearce and Garnnet "sucking wind" and R. Allen wasn't doing much better. Rhodo was a sort of no-show, and the other stars were running out of gas.

But you are right, Howard literally picked them up and carried the Magic with help from Nelson. There were other brief "bursts" of excellence from other Magic players, but not Carter too much. I think Vince is also coming to the end of his career and isn't the star he once was.

The Celts play well on the road, or have in the recent past and that may bode ill for the Orlando team. We shall see.

12. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Well, the Celtics are in. Now we await the outcome in the west. I suppose the Lakers will carry the day, but it won't be the walk over the first game made it seem it could be. Phoenix gave them a great run the other night, and it might have gone into overtime if not for Artest (sp?) and that last second rebound.

Both clubs in the Championship series (no matter who meets the Celtics) are going to be pooped out no matter how you slice it.